Can I buff weapon texture quality ? If so, how ?

(Bestfinlandball) #1

I’m the kinda guy who enjoys good looking skins, but i don’t have an amazing PC. I currently use a config, but it makes the weapons look terrible.
I know someone asked this before, but i can’t find the post anymore.

(CaRe) #2
  1. Go to
    “C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ShooterGame\Config”

2. Open the file “ShooterEngine.ini” in a simple text editor. If you want to do these things more often, I recommend notepad++.

3. Search and find “TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon” in the document.

TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)

These are the three texture groups for the weapons.

The important values are Min- and MaxLODSize, they define which resolution the textures will have for rendering. The engine scales down the textures for objects further away and these settings control which size they will have.
The settings above are for high textures as the game defines them.

I assume your config uses lower values. Lowering the MinLODSize below 256 does not change anything as the game will not accept lower than 256 to prevent unfair advantages.

So, most likely you only need to double the MaxLODSize to the value you want, for example the values above. Using higher values than the ones above should not result in any changes either.

1. If you want shiny weapons, models, etc… you need to use high quality materials.

bAllowHighQualityMaterials=True

(Bestfinlandball) #3

Thanks !