BUG: NO audio whatsoever in brink

(Insolence) #1

Hey guys, I’m Reporting a bug after I’ve scoured the forums and tried just about every trick I know and that I’ve found. I more than meet the minimum system requirements and the game runs spectacularly on my computer but there is absolutely no audio, not in any movies or any aspect of the game.

I’ve checked I have the most recent audio drivers for my device, and I have tried some of the no audio tricks, like forcing my speakers into 2-speaker mode, I’ve tried s_restart with no luck, plus I’ve tried some of the autoexec tweaks that some people report helping, such as seta s_numberOfSpeakers 2. I’ve also checked my mixer that the app is not muted. Nothing appears to make sound work at all for me in the entire app, meanwhile sound effects from using steam within’ the app work fine, sound works great in Starcraft II, Pandora, and from every other application EXCPET Brink. :frowning:

The relevant part of my console logs with anything pertaining to sound is this…

— Loading sequence: init —
sound index file ‘generated/preload/sound/pc/english/init.soundpreload’ is zero length
… omitted …
----- Initializing Sound System Stage 1 ------
…initializing XAudio2
WARNING: XAudio2Create(0) failed
…Failed
----- Sound System Stage 1 Initialized -----
… omitted …
----- Initializing Sound System Stage 2 ------
Precaching soundfx…
Precached soundfx in 1 ms
Precaching reverb…
Precached reverb in 0 ms
Precaching soundclass…
Precached soundclass in 0 ms
Precaching soundmixer…
Precached soundmixer in 0 ms
----- Sound System Stage 2 Initialized ----
… omitted …
]s_restart
…initializing XAudio2
WARNING: XAudio2Create(0) failed
…Failed

This game looks shiny, but it’s really disappointing without audio as there’s no story or immersive really experience without it, it feels like half a game without the audio. :frowning:

Any ideas?

Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Quad-Core 2.2Ghz i7 (detects as 8 cores in Windows)
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB
Cirrus 4206A Audio
4GB RAM
Purchased and Installed via Steam

Thanks!

(Nail) #2

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showpost.php?p=307054&postcount=3

(Insolence) #3

Ooh, something I didn’t try yet! I will try it in a hour or so and let you know. :wink:

Cheers Nail!

(Insolence) #4

Nope, sorry no go. :frowning: I think the nature of the problem (shown in the console above) is kinda saying it can’t initialize the sound subsystem, I don’t think it has anything to do with bink. I did try the language changing thing, changed it to German, let it download. And I did disable the intro videos and still no sound. :frowning:

Any other ideas? :slight_smile:

(Nail) #5

if you have any media players running at startup, you could try disableing them, they may try take over audio

(Insolence) #6

By the way I have also tried installing some older versions of my audio drivers, and have tried installing some generic audio drivers, both did not help. I wonder if it’s a steam thing… especially one other suspicious thing about steam right now is that every time I launch Brink it wants to re-run the “first time setup”. Which is the first time I’ve seen steam do that. So that makes me a bit suspicious about steam and/or if there are some prerequisite libraries not installed to make the sound subsystem work properly. It’s this “XAudio2Create(0)” error above that is suspicious. I’ve been googling around and came up with nothing. Only thing I can think of is that I am running 64-bit Windows 7, is anyone else using 64-bit and having similar issues? :\

(Insolence) #7

Nope, nothing of that nature, this is a pretty fresh and minimal installation of Windows 7, literally installed on this computer just so I can play Brink. :frowning:

(Nail) #8

sorry bud shootin blanks now, try re-install

(Insolence) #9

Yeah, I have been googling more, the best I found is that the steam always trying to reinstall, it has been trying to reinstall Direct-X. When I run it manually it finds errors, when I google this there’s a lot of people complaining about being unable to install/update direct-x on Windows-7 64-bit. Soo… it looks like I should get Vista or even back to XP. :\ Bleh! Well, thanks anyway Nail. :wink: I’ll keep fussing with it for a few days and then give up and go to a diff OS. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Nail) #10

someone suggested o/s re-install

or try install directx 9.0c manually

(kilL_888) #11

dont install older audio drivers. remove them, run driver sweeper to remove leftovers and isntall the newest drivers.

then go to the windows control panel to sound. under playback, select your output device (sould be speakers), select configure. select stereo, click through the dialog and finish.

this way i got the sound running.

(Insolence) #12

[QUOTE=kilL_888;313685]dont install older audio drivers. remove them, run driver sweeper to remove leftovers and isntall the newest drivers.

then go to the windows control panel to sound. under playback, select your output device (sould be speakers), select configure. select stereo, click through the dialog and finish.

this way i got the sound running.[/QUOTE]

But were you running 64-bit Windows 7? :stuck_out_tongue: Since this is my gaming OS/machine I didn’t care, I did do a fresh reinstall with nothing but directly installing brink after doing all the updates and tried that tactic again, no luck. I’m still stuck with the direct-x failing to install, google “directx 64-bit windows 7 error during install” and you’ll see what I mean. Short of having the patience of a saint and having a second OS (like vista 64-bit) and manually copying over random Direct-X DLLs until I get the one that’s missing, I don’t see how I can get it to work under 64-bit…

SO… I just got done installing 32-bit which I lose out on my ram under this OS (esp. since I have 8GB coming in the mail soon) but at least I can play Brink! :slight_smile: So yes, I am enjoying Brink now… it’s just really crappy that every other game (ok, I only tried Starcraft II and Quake Live) works fine. :slight_smile: Oh well, it’s life. I’ll deal, I’ll probably have less compatibility issues with 32-bit anyway, as I remember last time I tried 64-bit (windows xp) it was a nightmare. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help guys. :slight_smile: Maybe this post can serve as a note/warning to others thinking of running 64-bit windows 7 and planning on playing Brink. It may not have sound. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

(kilL_888) #13

[QUOTE=Insolence;317127]

Thanks for the help guys. :slight_smile: Maybe this post can serve as a note/warning to others thinking of running 64-bit windows 7 and planning on playing Brink. It may not have sound. :slight_smile:

Cheers![/QUOTE]

i run win7 x64 and had the sound issue first. see above for solution. it runs now. weired though that it didnt work from beginning.

(garglingcatfish) #14

Hi new here… but in reply to your no sound problem…

go into the brink folder and open the directx folder and run the directx setup manually…

you will have sound after that…

good luck…

(SpartaGC) #15

Dude you’re awesome! I’m having this issue on Windows 10 now. And I lost hope after seeing all the replies were from 2011 but you just came out of nowhere and saved my ass. <3 U bro