Bronze, silver and gold Loadouts, the (non)evolution

(MaesTro) #1

First i would like to say that the idea for loadouts is genius! In terms of gaming, people like to play and get a special reward out of nowhere, keeping them playing for longer to try and get more cases. In terms of supporting DB financially, its also a great strategie, since people now will have to either waste money on cards to get’em up to gold, or save to get new merc. Its a bit harder to do both, unless you pay.

But for me, there’s a major flaw in this system. I have the exact same loadout and perks in a bronze and in a gold card. What’s the interest then to evolve’em to gold if i can get the exact same thing in bronze, spending 1/4 of the money?

I believe the perks could remain the same, but with some stat bufs. For instance, since this nerf, the healing buff went from 30 to 20%, and i understand why, but to make ppl rush after the gold card, why not give a 2% increase on the perk with each level? by gold you get a 10% increase in buffs, what gives you a certain advantage, altough not an overwhelming one.
Same goes for many perks out there, the slight 2% increase per card loadout level, would make ppl try more to go for the gold.

Just my 2 cents

(Zenity) #2

That’s completely intentional, and not a flaw. You get custom skins with silver and gold cards (most noticeable on the weapons), but aside from that they are the same (aside from a couple of unique loadouts, which aren’t supposed to be stronger though).

From previous discussions with the devs I get the impression that loadout cards aren’t supposed to be a big money maker, just something fun to play with and they definitely don’t want to give anybody a real advantage. It’s mostly for the customisation and the fun of collecting rare loadouts.

(R5on11c) #3

It’s the same like Festive Weapons in TF2 or a Skin in CS:GO. It’s simple prestige at some risk, easy as that. That golden Crotzni looks rad? Well if you want to risk it getting an expensive gold card is up to you.

Easy as that.

(MaesTro) #4

I understand that, but, i think they could use it a bit more as an evolution, making it more enticing to go gold multiple times.

(R5on11c) #5

That’s a bad idea. People are already complaining that certain people have advantages because of the loadouts they get or don’t get out of pure luck. You certainly don’t want to push this issue even further do you?

It’s entirely prestige and up to you if you want to get the Gold version of something or not. Nobody is forcing you. The appearance that you are being denied of certain evolution is an illusion as you might aswell have had only bronze, silver and gold from the beginning on being the equivalent of lead , iron and bronze.

(WTFProoF?!) #6

I think the problem with the way the tiers are designed right now is, that they do not make it clear enough that there is no difference between gold bronze and silver beside a cosmetic one. Right now if a new player sees them for the first time he goes “oh sweet I want that gold loadout for my merc it’s gotta be the best, I mean it’s gold righ?” only to get utterly disapointed once he gets it and then gets the same loadout with a bronze card later along the way.

There is a distinct difference between Default, Lead, Iron and Bronze+ Cards. I find that tier-system good (even though it could make reaching a level where you can play the game in a competitive fashion a bit tedious) but the tiers after Bronze should be called something else than other valuable metals to make it clear that they are only cosmetic (under no circumstances should Silver/Gold/Obsidian cards give additional perks that could influence the gameplay).

(R5on11c) #7

By all means, we cannot compensate for wild assumptions and the lack of self thinking. The weapon stats are displayed and the augments are visible. If you can’t combine 1 and 1 you should be worried about different things.

(WTFProoF?!) #8

It seems to me you are overestimating the average FPS player’s mental capabilities.

(R5on11c) #9

[quote=“WTFProoF?!;16634”]It seems to me you are overestimating the average FPS player’s mental capabilities.

[/quote]
That’s a degrading, unnecessary and false assumption you are making about the average Dirty Bomb player. And that’s not even my point.

My point is that if you can’t understand / distinguish the sepereate loadout categories (which obvious and simple) + are not willing to educate yourself about the details of this game you are probably not even fit for the game. If you can’t understand such basic things you probably won’t understand the role of your merc, proper teamplay and should reconsider your choice of videogames.

(Shananuga) #10

[quote=“R5on11c;16651”][quote=“WTFProoF?!;16634”]It seems to me you are overestimating the average FPS player’s mental capabilities.

[/quote]
That’s a degrading, unnecessary and false assumption you are making about the average Dirty Bomb player. And that’s not even my point.

My point is that if you can’t understand / distinguish the sepereate loadout categories (which obvious and simple) + are not willing to educate yourself about the details of this game you are probably not even fit for the game. If you can’t understand such basic things you probably won’t understand the role of your merc, proper teamplay and should reconsider your choice of videogames.[/quote]

Thats a very naiv point ov view if i may say so.
First of all the distinction between bronce/silver/gold/cobalt is in no way clear because you cant see what stats the cobalt has if you dont own one. In todays MMO market people are fast to scream P2W and lable the game horrible because of it. Especially if it has a competitive nature.

So from a developer and publisher view it is indeed very important to clarify this. If you look around a bit you can already read about casual revies on DB that labels it as p2w, eventhough it is definetly not. Eventhough mercs are kind of expensive, you can get bronze loadouts for your 3 mercs really fast.

If you view Dirty Bomb players as your usual consumer you always have to assume that they are not familiar with the mechanics of your game and it is the developers responsibility to asure that even the laziest person playing can understand the basics.
You dont need to worry about the experienced players that naturally read about every thing important about the game. The troublemakers are those that dont want to spend the effort on this. If you are able to reduce the misunderstandings then your game will have a more positive response on the consumer market and a new game always needs that.

So no these assumptions are in no way degrading, just a healthy buisness look to guarantee success

@ op

if you’ve read though all this you might already see why the loadouts are ok as is. If DB really wants to persue this in the esport direction then it is a really bad idea to give gold/cobalt a statboost.
Eventhough i understand your point it will do more harm than good. Instead i would just combine silver/gold/cobalt into one tier that can only be bought with money. I dont really understand why they distinguish between them if it is all RNG anyway (looks like a credit sink tbh)