Brink Novel: Is there one in the works?

(gold163) #121

.frost.

good stuff you got here, don’t give up. I think maybe your real life is more important than any pet project. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it ends up being better for you in the long run.

(Dormamu) #122

good stuff mon,
if you enjoy your game stick with it, switch to a less demanding squad and play for fun, tho you will learn at a slower pace how to handle the A-10C, and is a real shame not to us that chair you have :smiley:
Finish the comic, play what you enjoy, everything you do has a meaning (hidden or not), even a game. I have a friend who knew his wife in a mmo game (Guild Wars) so it’s a bit hard to tell him that all that hours spend in a mmo was a waste of time.
Do what you like, let God worry about the rest, as long as you have purpose nothing is lost.

(.FROST.) #123

This is still a shooter forum right? Really haven’t expected such insightful replys and encouregment here:)

@gold163 and Dormamu

You guys are both completely right and that’s^ exactly what I’m thinking too. But in the end everyone has to make the actual decision for him-/herself; and that’s the hard part. My problem is that I don’t want to do stuff half-a$$ed or cut out on something. My fear is that both things may suffer in quality or the progression will fall out of an acceptable time-frame. I’ll try it for another few weeks and if its too much to handle for me I’ll quit the squad and start to pursue this hobby(virtual flying) more on a single-player basis. And then I’ll return to online flying when the book is done.

Thanks again folks for your kind replys.

(.FROST.) #124

Since I haven’t posted here anything lately I thought it may be time to revive this thread a little bit. Even though the link below shows pictures of a past project of mine and isn’t directly connected to my comic-project, I thought it couldn’t hurt to post here.

I didn’t had much time in the last weeks, but at the end of the week I’ll post many new sketches and pages related to the BRINK comic; including one or two things I did with my new Wacom Intuos.

I made this from scratch, no manual or advice. I did this to get a better understanding of the lower body. I simplified the shapes for that very purpose. For example the Pelvis’ basic shape resembles a pentagon if you cut it in half. The model consists of card-board, cut-out with a knife and filled with construction foam(so it even resembles the interior bone-structure a little bit).

Many guys can draw decent arms and even hands, but when it comes to legs and feet you can easily distinguish who has a more thorough understanding of the human body and who doesn’t. You can call this the “Rob Liefeld Factor” :wink: Understanding the Pelvis and the knees is crucial for drawing people realistically. I don’t want to claim that I have a full understanding of the lower body or the body in general, far from that, but it is my greatest passion to get near there at one time. I really, really LOVE industrial/concept drawings, but I for myself allways have to have a person in my pictures. Otherwise I’d feel like I’ve missed an opportunity to learn something about the human figure.

PS: The angle of the pelvis is wrong, compared to the leg-bones. It was just easier to take the photograph this way. Reallistically it(the Pelvis) should have been tilted a couple degrees torwards the viewer. Honestly, right now,I don’t know how many, but I’d guess something around 45°, +/- a couple degrees. The skeleton has a scale of approximately 1:1 if you’re considering a young male teenager. But again, maybe I’m wrong, I’m not an anthropologist, nor an medical-anatomist. The sole purpose of this project was to get an thorough understanding of the lower body by making every bone by hand. And actually it worked; its camented in my brain since then. I can twist and turn the skelton in my brain as I like and draw it in any position I like.

(wolfnemesis75) #125

That looks awesome. Very impressed!

(Dormamu) #126

Amazing work .FROST. :eek: i wish i had your patience :smiley:
Looking forward to see your comic book.

(OMGITSJASON) #127

I guess there could be a novel for Brink.

(.FROST.) #128

I’ve posted this layout page allready, but it wasn’t completely done then. The Bot in the first panel was lacking and the grenade throwing sequence wasn’t there. This particular sequence may need some explanation. First panel, grenade flying torwards sniper; second panel, almost on a par with sniper; third panel, reaching its peak above sniper; fourth panel, falling on the ground and sniper looking after it; fifth panel, sniper wants to pick it up; sixth panel, almost reaching

First panel, obviously the sniper couldn’t pick up the grenade fast enough so the whole floor explodes. The first panel was quite difficult for me, because I wanted to show the explosion, the advancing bot, the grenade throwing sec, from behind and below, his gun should be visible and the charge he’s holding too. took me a lot of sketches, some of them are further below in this post.

First concept

Final layout

Had to post it 90° turned because there’s no slider anymore to view broader images. It’s the first doublspread. Maybe even the only one. Don’t wanna overuse it. Maybe I’ll do one top down view doublespread at the crane site, to show the crane in whole and since its near the center of the map it almost lends itself to show a huge chunk of Container City in birds eye view.
Note: the object in the left down corner is the former gate-door. Now bend and twisted after that huge explosion

Study for the first panel of the second page(in this post here). Left foot looks a little gay, toes should be tilted upward/forward, but that’s for what sketches are for, to figure out stuff like that.

Study for the first panel of the second page

My brain is allways occupied with stuff I’m currently working on, so I did this little doodle at work.

Just a little action study

Sometimes it’s not bad to practice and recall anatomy stuff. Also done in my day-job as warehouseman :frowning:

Another anatomy excercise

My first real painting with a wacom board, so don’t be to harsh on it. Actually I’m quite proud of it though I know that there’s plenty, plenty of room to the top. I might add, that its not entirely done yet, but I was so keen to post something in this thread.

(gold163) #129

The coloring is excellent. Some parts of it look a bit blurry and lack detail, which makes the more detailed bits stand out too much. Namely, the top of his head and the parts of his jacket besides the collar look unfocused. The lighting, however, is perfect. I really enjoy your use of color and the shadow of the glasses on his face. His mouth looks slightly misaligned with his nose; I don’t know if that is intentional or not but the area above his upper lip looks slightly awkward. Enough with the nitpicking though; that is some seriously good work! I can’t wait to see the other parts colored when you get around to it.

(badman) #130

Really great stuff there, Frost! Can’t wait to see it all finished!

(.FROST.) #131

@ gold163. At first, hi.
You are right, some areas are way sharper rendered than others, but there are no real highlights on his face either. I’ll put them there at the very end and they will add the sharpness. Blury areas like around the cheek and the collar will get tightened up, that’s no big deal.

But in the end I only made this piece to practice with my wacom and to get accustomed to it. In the analogue world I have no problems drawing straight lines and even circles, but with the tablet it’s a whole different story. First of all your movement on the board gets accelerated on screen to match the proportions of your board and you cant really turn your board or virtual paper-sheet like you could “real” paper. I don’t know, if you have a board yourself, but I guess so and then you probably understand my noob issues.

But my learning curve is quite steep, since I’ve painted a lot with watercolor in the past. So it’s only a matter of getting accustomed to the new tool. 3-4 sheets prior to that^ I actually had a hard time just drawing a simple figure with outlines.
The Wacom had laid around untouched since december. I knew I had to learn how to work with it if I ever want to work in the art-industrie 2.0, but I wasn’t very keen on starting to excercise with it. But than I took a look on Laurel Austin’s, character artist on the BRINK-team, Homepage http://ldaustinart.blogspot.de/ and I got really inspired. She’s a great artist and I like her stuff very much.

My intention with the Brink comic is to only color it, I won’t paint over my pencils. I don’t know yet if I’ll ink the final pencils or if I’ll go directly from pencil to color. But I thought about painting at least the cover, but that’s future talk. Goal number one is to finish the damn layouts anytime soon, wich probably won’t be the case since I’ve only done approximately 1/3 of the pages so far. But maybe I’ll get faster, lets see.

@badman
Thank you for the kind words I’ll do my best, concerning the whole thing. I also can’t wait to see the finished comic myself, since I have allready so many pages, images and ideas in my head wich I want to show everyone. But all good things take time and I can hardly say how long it’ll take me in the end. Definitely months; with coloring and very detailed pencils probably well over a year. But after that year I’ll have something solid in my potfolio. And the pencils will get very detailed. At least like in the “BRINKLETTES” illustration I did previously.

(wolfnemesis75) #132

Good stuff Frost. Really impressed. Keep it coming!

(wolfnemesis75) #133

I was bored and figured I’d throw my hat in the ring with a little doodling with my wacom. I thought I’d just add a little sketch to this thread! Anyway, here it is!

(.FROST.) #134

At first, I recommend to left click on the images and drag and drop them on your desktop, since they are a little bit to wide for the page and therefore it’s not showing them in their entirety

I’ve allready posted this picture in this thread but now I did some coloring on it. At first glance the last pic may seem almost done, but if you look a little closer you can easily spot a lot of things wich aren’t; especially in the down left area; also Chen and Mokoena’s lips and hair and Mokoena’s glasses and his collar aren’t finished yet. There’s also much not completely rendered stuff in the background, like the wind-wheel and the container housings. But I just couldn’t wait another day to post the image(s) :slight_smile:

Opposed to the Mokoena “painting” above, the coloring style in the illustration below shows pretty much how I intent to actually color the “novel”. Even though it was just supposed to be a try-out I’m quite happy with it. Wich led me to think that it wouldn’t be a bad idea to color my “Brinkettes”(Brink Fems) pencil illustration too.

Even though at first, I intend to proceed with drawing layouts after I’ve finished the coloring on the Chen/Mokoena piece. I allready started one(layout) wich will be the coolest I did so far.

But parallel to the whole layout process I’ll probably start to color the Brink girls and after that maybe some other drawings.

(TruGamer97) #135

Now that is cool!

(ArkRebel) #136

Wow, awesome stuff!