Brink Novel: Is there one in the works?

(.FROST.) #101

http://msc-frost-msc.deviantart.com/art/Cci23022014-0000-436236738

(.FROST.) #102

So here are the first actual pages. I would’ve liked to post them directly in this forum, but they are just way too big and I don’t want to shrink them down either, because they’d lose a lot of nice detail in the process.

I won’t say much about the pages themselfs, but I think I have to point out at least 1-2 things per page, that aren’t instantly noticeable, since the pages aren’t inked and colored yet; so some things may not be visibly enough.

Page #1, first two panels; Chopper crossing the crane arm.

Page #2, first panel; magazines and newspapers lying around. Time magazine: They’ve build it. The Sun: “Dirty Bomb” renders London uninhabitable :wink:, Mokoena wants YOU!

Page #3, last panel; since there’s no info about the inside of such an Arc Sec chopper I had to make it up myself. I know, that it’s not necessarily in the Brink-style, especially for the Arc-Sec and Founder side*, but I wanted to pay a little hommage to my biggest role-model in terms of drawing; Mr. Greg Capullo(The Creech).

*(kinda chaotic and lots of wires and stuff crammed inside)

Hope you guys like it, I’m on page 4 now, which should follow very soon.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Sketches/canceled pages

(rookie1) #103

WoW ! great stuff ! ,You got Talent Man ! :penguin:

(.FROST.) #104

Thanks man, I’m still working on it:)

(stealth6) #105

These drawings are really impressive!

I don’t even see what you were talking about, when you said Mokoena’s face is slightly disproportional compared to the game, looks right to me :smiley: (Just different viewing angle)

The wacom board one is amazing and that’s your first try… :eek: I’ve also been thinking about getting a wacom board for a while, but I don’t think I’m anywhere near as good as you.

(.FROST.) #106

[QUOTE=stealth6;490437]These drawings are really impressive!

I don’t even see what you were talking about, when you said Mokoena’s face is slightly disproportional compared to the game, looks right to me :smiley: (Just different viewing angle)

The wacom board one is amazing and that’s your first try… :eek: I’ve also been thinking about getting a wacom board for a while, but I don’t think I’m anywhere near as good as you.[/QUOTE]

I’m usually not working with the Wacom and the Mokoena stuff was basically the last time I’ve used it. I bought it just for the purpose of coloring comics(cause it’s a effing pain to do that with a mouse). I feel kinda hindered by the Wacom’s indirect way of painting/drawing. That’s why I still prefer to draw and paint with traditional media. But maybe I’ll get more into it in the future, after I’m done with Brink: Dirty Bomb*. Then I’ll I have to work a lot with it anyways; to color the comic. Maybe I’ll paint the cover with the Wacom when I’m all done, but it’s a long road until then and penciling and sketching is the only thing I have time for atm.

*(my working title for the comic:D and the actual name of the mission on Container City if I remember correctly)

(BigProblemBrink) #107

I hope i dont take my money to the garbage, thats what i hope, i have brink for a few years, but now my weapon its INVISIBLE, i can shoot, i can do everything, but my weapon just dont show NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

I deleted all the files, used C-cleaner after, rebooted, REDOWNLOADED EVERYTHING, and guess what?
My weapons STILL invisible, and theres absolutely NO WAY TO HAVE THEN BACK.

So, why are you asking us what you should do in a new brink game if you cant even create a game that works in first place?
Why i dont see ANY KIND OF HELP FROM DEV TEAM when people ask this?

Theres also some guys on steam group asking about this but NOBODY HAVE ANY CLUE on how to fix that.

So im here to show my frustation with a stupid BUG that cant be fixed EVEN WHEN U REINSTALL THE GAME.

I hope you guys help me or im gona make a really BAD marketing about this company on Steam and Facebook.

Im waiting for an ANSWER, im tired of bring treated like NO ONE from this big companys that just want your money and spend a weekend in their boats.

IM WAITING HERE DEV TEAM.

Hope NOW i can get an answer…

(.FROST.) #108

Finally I had some time to finish writing and fleshing out the story I want to draw. And I made a couple thumbnail sketches and page layouts. In the end they are far more pages(~22) than I initially intended(3 to 4). It will definitely take some time to draw them, but I hope I’ll achieve that. For the start I’ll post the page layouts and a cover idea -of wich I’m not very certain since Mokoena and Chen are definitely NOT appearing in the story. Maybe I should draw a similar cover with the two brothers wich are the main chars of “my” story.

(wolfnemesis75) #109

[QUOTE=.FROST.;394725]Finally I had some time to finish writing and fleshing out the story I want to draw. And I made a couple thumbnail sketches and page layouts. In the end they are far more pages(~22) than I initially intended(3 to 4). It will definitely take some time to draw them, but I hope I’ll achieve that. For the start I’ll post the page layouts and a cover idea -of wich I’m not very certain since Mokoena and Chen are definitely NOT appearing in the story. Maybe I should draw a similar cover with the two brothers wich are the main chars of “my” story.

[/QUOTE]Good stuff. Bottom pic is really coming together. Keep it up BROTHER!

(VG_JUNKY) #110

Wow almost forgot about u there Frost :smiley: glad to see that ur progressing, keep up the good work :slight_smile:

(.FROST.) #111

So, here are my first sketched pages and character studies for the Brink comic. My goal is to post every Sunday something new till the Comic is done. Sometimes it will be more and sometimes less. I hope the sketch, layout and study state won’t take too long so I can show you how the pages will actually look. Even though the pages seem allready a little tight for sketches I can say, that they are far from the finished pages. The reason why I make them so tight is, that I want to get thorouhgly accustomed to the Brink Universe. I need to get the right feeling for it.

I allready made hundreds of screenshots for that purpose, but it doesn’t take long till I have to go ingame and take a couple more, since I need to know how the weapons and all the attachements look, how the Maps look, how the chars with all their clothing and gear look and so on. When I have time, that’s fun, since I love the design, but sometimes it’s a little bit annoying and more than once I can’t resist and I push the bad, bad freeplay button and end up playing Brink for another 2 hours.

So it’s a little late now and technically it’s not even Sunday anymore, but here you are, hope you like it.

PS: I wrote the numbers on the right side of some panels as a reminder to put them in a new order. And as you can see, it starts with 2; that’s because I have to pencil a fill in panel; namely the actual landing on the pier. I didn’t had it in my script, but I felt it would fit. I guess I’ll have to make a lot of changes in the future, but that’s why I don’t start with the actual pages.

(VG_JUNKY) #112

Wow great job FROST :smiley:

Its great that ur still steadilly progressing on this & ill defietly be looking forward to each upcomming sunday :slight_smile:
My only gripe is that I dont like ur faces, but once i saw u put that man behind a cracked mask i just smiled a little :slight_smile:

Anyway great job man, hope to see the finished product 1 day.

(.FROST.) #113

Come on, they aren’t so bad, are they? No, seriously, please tell me your honest opinion as long as I can change things. That’s what I meant with getting accustomed to the Brink style. I never ever drew exaggerated people and not too much comic stuff either, so I have to play around with things and get used to it. But I’m sure I’ll finally get it.

Here’s some stuff I did in the past maybe you’ll like them more, but I got bored with this style. It looks “good” in the end, but it’s boring to draw/paint it.
http://msc-frost-msc.deviantart.com/gallery/

(VG_JUNKY) #114

Well yh there not too bad…i think that its more the lower face that i dislike more than anything…
i think the jawline is perhaps too wide and ur mouths/lips also seem to be too large at times…

Either that or just ur mokowena like style just doesnt look as good in comic form compared to the game…id like to maybe see some other archtype faces perhaps…maybe its just me lookin too closely at this 1 face :wink: If i were to see other kinds then maybe i could form a more detailed opinion of ur style…

Again just my OP dont take it personnally or nothin :slight_smile:

(.FROST.) #115

#1 I DON’T want to defend myself here, but I was just curious to see for myself if and how much I nailed Mokoena’s face. So I merged the photo-ref I’ve used for the drawing with the actual drawing. And suprise, suprise, my proportions were quite off, but in the other direction. I’m so used to draw realistic proprtions that I have to get used to exaggerate them in the Brink way. When I’m looking at it, I’d say, “my” Mokoena has his eyes 3/5ths above his chin, the original SD Mokoena has them even higher, I’d say 2/3rds. Realistic would be around 1/2(adults). The yawline and the chin are basically the same, but the original Mokoena’s lips are higher, so the chin appears even bigger. But compare it yourself.

PS: The view angels in both pictures are a little different, wich also adds to the differing proportions between the two.

(VG_JUNKY) #116

Wow!
I dont think id figure out the actual problem that quickly…i knew something was wrong, just not specifically enough…

Atleast u figured it out :slight_smile: i think if u reporportion ur face it will turn out better than ur original…but geez man i gotta say it GOODWORK even tho its not properly porportioned ur face actually really looks like it fits in the brink universe :smiley:

Sry i wasnt more helpful…anyway keep up the great work…hopefully ill get better at this whole critic thing :stuck_out_tongue:

(.FROST.) #117

Ok folks, what shall I say, it was a weak week :frowning: Didn’t had much time and only managed to do three sketch pages. I had to re-do one of them(the last one) since I didn’t liked the layout. I planned to make 5 sketch pages a week, but it wasn’t possible this time. Whatever, I’ll try it next week.

I’ll draw every character bald(in the sketches), unless I have allready a certain hairdoo or headgear in mind. That’s (obviously) because it’s a lot faster to draw this way. As you guys may have noticed, I basically haven’t drawn anything more so far than the ~first minute or so of the CC-map. And I’ll proceed that way. Meaning, that I’ll pencil the whole way from the pier to the container with the vaccine in it. But, I’ll add some “Off Scene Narration” from one of our two protagonists. Namely they guy lying in the dirt in the first couple panels. After the container is open the second act of the story begins and I’ll leave the known path of Brink’s multiplayer. In contrary to the first act, the second act will feature basically no action but the first real dialogue. The whole “story” isn’t meant to be incredibly unique. It’s more a hommage to the game with a few personal thoughts added. My goal is that people recognize the art-style(clothing, certain sections of the map, weapons, etc…) and the tactics mostly used in certain areas of the map.

Something I’m not really sure about is, whether I should show gore or not. Since the game doesn’t show it I shouldn’t either. In Brink people stay pretty much whole even after headshots and explosions. Plus, it would change the whole tone of the game; it would make it more serious if I’d draw exploding guts. I don’t have to decide that by now. But I’m tending to gore. What are you guys thinking; gore or non gore?

PS: The 2nd panel on this page isn’t a view through the scope like on the first page, but a reflection in that sight. That’s why the guy is holding the Rifle like a left handed. There’s no dot either. I hope detailed stuff like that get’s more obvious in the finished artwork.

Disapproved page

(VG_JUNKY) #118

Wow Frost these look great :smiley: honestly i was secretly wondering when u would start to show action in ur sketches :slight_smile:

On the whole gore front im not quite sure… I like brink for what it is, but im also curious what gore it would look like in Brink’s art style…
I say that u should definetly give it a try, just dont go overboard and make a comic for a completly different game :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work :slight_smile: only wish more ppl still appreciated stuff like this for brink but oh well

(.FROST.) #119

[QUOTE=VG_JUNKY;396376]Wow Frost these look great :smiley: honestly i was secretly wondering when u would start to show action in ur sketches :slight_smile:

On the whole gore front im not quite sure… I like brink for what it is, but im also curious what gore it would look like in Brink’s art style…
I say that u should definetly give it a try, just dont go overboard and make a comic for a completly different game :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work :slight_smile: only wish more ppl still appreciated stuff like this for brink but oh well[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your kind words :slight_smile: And you are probably right on the gore thing. If people are getting shot in the chest or blown up I’ll leave them their limbs and guts. But if someone gets shot in the head, there’s no way for me to draw this convincingly without a exploding head. But I’ll have to keep “headies” at a minimum anyway, for dramatic reasons. Though I have allready 2 in queue. :wink:

(.FROST.) #120

Ok, again a little too late. It wasn’t a bad week, but I didn’t achieved to layout five bloody pages and the four I’m posting here aren’t even completly finished. For example, there should be people in every panel, but there aren’t, since I drew the environment first and proceeded to the next panel and spared me the hard part for the end. Nevertheless, so far I’m satisfied with the “camera angles” and the visual narrative. But the production pace is crap. So I think I have to quit. Not the comic, even if it’s the last thing I’m doing, this will be done, no matter what and how long it takes. I’m in a virtual fighter squadron wich is very, very demanding. There are real-life pilots and real-life tower personal in my squad and the expectations are accordingly high. Basically I should exercise 4-5 days a week, but even the two t
raining evenings/squad meetings wich are required to stay in the squad are too much if I want to ever finish my little project here. It’s an A-10C squadron and I love that friggin plane. Everytime I fly it I learn something new about it, but in the end it’s not real-life, no matter how realistic that awesome sim is(“DCS A-10C Warthog” from Eagle Dynamics). It’s a hard decision, but a day has only so much hours and the evenings spent in the squad aren’t the only time consuming factors in my life. Hope it will be worth it in the end. :frowning: