Brink doesn't work on Windows 8.1 Laptop / AMD CPU + Radeon Graphic

(IceFoxx) #1

Hi @ll

glad I found this community.

2 weeks ago I bought myself a new Netbook and installed Steam on it and also some of my Games via SteamDownload.

The main specs are: AMD A4 Elite Mobility 1,2Ghz DualCore / 4 GB Ram / Radeon HD 8180 / Windows 8.1 / german verision (Windows and Steam)

I know, I know… most of you will say: This is just a netbook and modern games dont run fluently. But please note that I made all games AT LEAST run on it, and most of them run good as well -> by setting graphic options down. I also know the requirements of BRINK, so dont worry :wink:

Fact is, at least it should run somehow, but it doesnt. When I start BRINK after installing it, the small window of the seacoast comes up (am still at the desktop) then it crashes with an Windows error-messages which says “Bring has stopped to work”

Things I tried: re-installing Catalyst, re-installing actual driver, re-installing steam and brink, all Windows compatibiltiy modes, running Steam and Brink as Admin

-> nothing worked. every time the same: crash and the above said error message.

Can someone pls help here… :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

-IceFoxx

(IceFoxx) #2

no one has a solution for me? :frowning:

(Runeforce) #3

A lot of games released pre-Windows 8, are having compatibility problems and needs to be patched for it to run on it. (Wether this is the case with Brink I don’t know, but from your post it sounds like it.)
I don’t have Windows 8 myself (I see it as the skipable version, like the Millenium Edition or Vista) so I can’t help you with getting it running on that.
You probably don’t want to hear it, but you could try and install and run Windows 7 as your OS.

But before you take any actions like that, try and launch Brink with ‘Brink.exe +condump brink.log’ and post the content of the brink.log file it produces here. The brink.log file produced may be a little hard to find. If it is not in your game directory, check somewhere under your Documents folder or use Windows Search.

(IceFoxx) #4

Hi. Thanks for the first help.

How do I start brink with this parameters? Means: how do I make this “condump” ?

(Runeforce) #5

You do it at the commandline.

Open up your commandline window (a program called ‘cmd.exe’ usually located under C:\Windows\System32,) navigate to the Brink directory (f. ex. type ‘cd \Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Brink’, you can use tab-completion to save you some typing) and execute it with the parameters.

If you have a shortcut to Brink somewhere, you can right-click it, go to properties and that way check out where your executable (the Brink.exe file) is located, or you could use Windows Search for finding ‘brink.exe’. Usually it is located in a directory somewhere along the lines of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Brink\ (The’Program Files (x86)’ part depends on your language settings and cpu architecture, so the directory name may vary on your machine.)

So for example @ the commandline:

Microsoft Windows
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Runeforce> cd \Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Brink
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Brink> Brink.exe +condump brink.log

Tip: you can see the contents of your present directory at the commandline with the ‘dir’ command. You can use the command ‘cd <directory>’ to change directories, f. ex. ‘cd…’ moves one directory closer to the ‘C:’, while ‘cd mygamesdir’ moves you into the mygamesdir directory if it exist at your present location.

(IceFoxx) #6

Hei, thanks for the detailed information and explanation :-)))))

ok, found it all quite fast and made it. worked so far.

but… i can’t find this file called “brink.log”

i looked everywhere. I also searched for it on my whole hard-drive… :-/

(Runeforce) #7

Hmmm.

It worked with previous games running on the IDTECH engine. Perhaps it’s a problem that Steam is tied into the executable…?

Could an SD staffer clarify, please? How do you make a console dump of Brink and where would that file be located?

(I’ve done this a million times with ETQW. I am currently downloading Brink to test it out, so check back a little later.)

EDIT: For some reason I can’t start Brink. It’s an issue unrelated to your issue though.
Here’s another way you can try and do it: Open up Steam, right-click on Brink, select Properties, press the ‘set launch options’ button and type in ‘+condump brink.log’

The reason I want you to do the console dump, is that it gives a more detailed explenation, than the default Windows error, about why your game is not working. (It will give the games assessment of the issue instead of the default Windows assessment.) And it will give future visitors with the same problems more insight into the issue (wether it’s a Windows 8.1 related issue, or something entirely different.)

(IceFoxx) #8

Hi Runeforce,

thanks for the advice. Well I tried what you explained already (typing ‘+condump brink.log’ in the steam properties) but it sadly also didn’t work. To be honest, it was the first way how i tried it :wink:

Yh, I can imagine the reason… alltough I am not a programmer. I will propably not understand whats in the log file, but as soon as i find out how i make it, I will post it so a pro-member can hopefully help me :slight_smile:

but I dont have any Ideas how to create it (after trying all the things above) :frowning:

(IceFoxx) #9

still not…

(Nanofix23) #10

i think i may be having the same problem as you, only on a windows 7 laptop. what does your error message say specifically?