Bright misc_bsp's

(KENNITHH) #1

Hello,

We are working on a christmas mod for Soldier of Fortune II - Double Helix.
Now we wanted to create some misc_bsp’s (instances) so we can place them in the maps using .ent files.

I tried this

1. Without “ignoreleaks” “1”, stop after leak disabled, and 1 caulk block (structural)
    -> This gives me the BSP but no light so the misc_bsp looks bright

2. With “ignoreleaks” “1”, stop after leak disabled, and 1 caulk block (structural)
    -> This doesn’t give me the BSP because it stops after saying “backwards tree volume”

my compile is like this (I’m using GTK Radiant 1.4 and q3map2 2.5.11)

! “C:/Program Files/GtkRadiant-1.4/q3map2” -v # -game sof2 -fs_basepath “D:/GAMES/Soldier of Fortune II - MODDING/” -meta -rename $ && ! “C:/Program Files/GtkRadiant-1.4/q3map2” # -game sof2 -fs_basepath “D:/GAMES/Soldier of Fortune II - MODDING/” -vis -saveprt $ && ! “C:/Program Files/GtkRadiant-1.4/q3map2” -v # -game sof2 -fs_basepath “D:/GAMES/Soldier of Fortune II - MODDING/” -light -super 2 $

Greetings

(ailmanki) #2

before anything, I only played SOF2. never modded or made a map for it.

http://holonet.antarat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Map_Modding
According to that, you need a bsp which works like a normal map. With lighting, skybox and all its entities.
I suppose for some sort of dynamic lightning you would need to use vertex lightning.

Your map has a leak, fix the leak… in worst case surround it with a giantic box.
http://radiant.robotrenegade.com/manual/appndx/appn_c.htm#Leaks

This misc_bsp is a interesting concept. Sad it seems to be SOF2 only.

(KENNITHH) #3

Mapping for all those games are basicly the same, just a few minor differences.

Yes you’re right, the bsp’s where way too bright ingame so I thought, models are too bright too ingame if you use the wrong shader, so I used vertex lightning just like the models and the result was pretty good but others have been able to do it without creating a shader and I think that site you gave might have the answer, I’m going to read it very carefully after this post. (BSP Insertion seems interesting)

textures/xmas/snow
{
qer_editorimage textures/kamchatka/snow_1
q3map_material Snow
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map textures/kamchatka/snow_1
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
}

If I surround the map with a giant box (caulk_noclip), I think it will mess up the original map but might fix the leak yeah but the others who created misc_bsps didn’t do it either…

Example of added snow to a normal map via misc_bsp :smiley:

And ow, I think games like ET use .ASE files for the same purpose but I think this misc_bsp is indeed a better way because you can hear the sound effects instead of the default sound.

One more thing, I think the .ent function has been added in a mod so MAYBE if ET/JK could get the .ent function too, they might be able to use misc_bsp too?

(ailmanki) #4

You need that box for the compiler only, it will be not be visible ingame. But - the bsp will be defined by it - so making a giantic box around it, does fix the leak. Yet its not always the best way. Better is to learn how to fix the leak instead of adding a big box around it.

ASE is only a model. Making a bsp, allows you to use all its features. From adding entities, sounds, even the skybox.
Thats why you have to make a proper map file which can be compiled. Compilation goes through 3 stages, the first passes also if it has leaks, but the other 2 stages never happen cause of the leak. And the 3. phase is the lighting stage. So thats why with a vertex shader you get lightning effects.

(KENNITHH) #5

Ok thanks for all the info.

It doesn’t seem to be necassery to create a box around it if you use “Stop after leak unchecked”, it just continues but I think I will just use it like I have now as the result looks pretty good =D but too bad you can see that its made of 2 half circles, isn’t there a way to create a sphere?

EDIT: Nvm, found it but it doesnt even look like a sphere, its too blocked lol

Greets