Bikini Kira WIP | Summer Art Competition

(Vin Chau) #1

Hi,

This is my work in progress for my Summer Art Competition entry and I wanted to tackle Kira in 3D. My initial idea for the final render was to have her posing with the katana. Though I thought it wasn’t related to the Summer theme so I kinda don’t know what to choose. I like the katana idea since it’s more ‘Kira’, or I could go for the volleyball or a surfboard. It’s been 2 days since I started the project, I hope I have enough time before the competition ends. Do let me know if there’s anything I could add to make the piece more interesting! Thank you :slight_smile:

Summer Art Competition - 2018
(Vin Chau) #2

(Vin Chau) #3

I was working on the overall look of the face and was very happy with the new look so I went into details. This is the progress so far. There’s still a lot more to do and I don’t think I can make it in time with the plan so I might not be doing texturing. Also as I did some research and realized Kira has a noticeable beauty mark under her right eye so I put it in there to stay true to her concept.

(Vin Chau) #4

Update on the general anatomy and shape, the bikini and the initial implementation of the hair. Next, I’ll make some adjustments where needed and finalize the body before posing. I’m still not sure what poses to choose from.

(Vin Chau) #5

Update on the pose. I decided to have her holding a katana at the end. Since I’m running out of time, I want to make it simple but interesting enough. Though I’d love to see her with the orbital laser gun, I don’t think I have time for it.

(Vin Chau) #6

After this update, I think I’ll prioritize working on the face and the eyes. She looks lifeless at the moment and also uncanny. I’m trying my best to push her realism.

(Vin Chau) #7

I just painted some skin details and redid some of the hair. The base hair looks totally dumb in this one. I’m planning on giving her some hair cards instead of real hair strands because I could not seem to groom them to my liking. Next up, I’ll do some general housekeeping and essentially tweak the anatomy.

(Jigstraw) #8

great, now do a bikini rhino

everyone wants it

You may want to link this in the official thread so that you don’t run into the risk of the devs not noticing it, just to be on the safe side.

(Vin Chau) #10

wow I should have done rhino instead of kira :frowning: bad decision! :smiley:

(Vin Chau) #11

Thanks for letting me know, I planned to post this to the official thread once it’s completed. There’s still one more week to go isn’t it? :smiley:

A little less than that, you have to post it before the 28th August.

(Vin Chau) #13

Oh I see, thank you for letting me know :slight_smile: seems like I don’t have much time left.

(Vin Chau) #14

I finally decided to just paint over my render using Photoshop to achieve the stylised look I’m going for. The base image doesn’t have any hair. In the earlier note, I said I was going to use hair cards but I think I’d not make it in time with the best look so I went for some paint-over. Hair in 3D is my weakness and I’m still learning. There’s still her hair accessory (the little chain of trinkets I don’t know what it’s called) that I’ll do next.

(Vin Chau) #15

Finally, this is the result, I hope I made it in time :slight_smile:

What I did in this final one:
Everything was done in Photoshop from here, the background was found from a google search “kira dirty bomb”. I pretty much painted over on top of my BPR render from ZBrush. After being happy with the color layout, I went and did some color adjustment and finally post-processing. Phew, that was almost a month with this piece on and off. I’m glad I finished it (not sure if it’s on time).

I was not very happy with quite a few things from the beginning but better than not doing anything. Thank you for visiting and caring all :smiley:

(Xenithos) #16

I truly admire your dedication to this,
I am however not sure the body type matches… and her face scares me.

(Vin Chau) #17

Thank you so much for your feedback. I’m currently a student learning character art, therefore any criticism would be very much appreciated :slight_smile: I definitely could not improve my art with just my own eyes. So again, thank you for letting me know where I need to work on more. The uncanny feeling is still there and I’ll try to improve it in the next one. Regarding the body type, I pushed her sexiness to a little too overboard I guess :smiley: