Battle Royale - Mode

(lottalava) #1

Hello guys, waht do you think to add Battle Royale to Dirty Bomb?

(Muddy Muddy Mud Nade) #2

Short answer: Yeah, no.
Long(er) answer: It wouldn’t really work. One of the more important elements of BR is the fact that everyone usually has the same physical attributes, which is not the case in DB. There are plenty of weapons in the game that are a lot better at 1v1ing than others, and most importantly, DB is objective based, which BR most definitely is not.

(Jigstraw) #3

absolutely not.

If you want to play a BR, they’re a dime a dozen right now. no need to turn DB into one of them too

(Press E) #4

As @MuddyGrenade mentioned it wouldn’t work as a free for all type thing. I guess maybe you could get away with it if you did a team based thing instead, but otherwise it would be a mess.

You’d also have to take into consideration that weapons in DB generally have pinpoint accuracy. So unless you want the game to just become a sniper meta, you’d need a pretty intricate map instead of some Fortnite style open field with a couple houses

Also on another note, DB has a lot of performance issues, so I doubt it would work well with 100 players in a server, which is the entire point of battle royale

(Floris) #5

SD already tried adding a “popular” game mode in the form of Execution (inspired by Counter-Strike and Call of Duty S&D), but it didn’t work out so well.

I also think they should stick to the objective / stopwatch game modes that made their games so popular in the first place and keeps players like me coming back.

(K1X455) #6

what sort of schitt have you been smoking? :poop:

(bgyoshi) #7

This question comes up every now and then and the answer is always no

Battle Royale stuff doesn’t work when you give players fixed weapons, and this is a game about merc composition with fixed weapons and abilities. It wouldn’t work at all

Since when did free for all and deathmatch turn into ‘battle royales’? I must have missed something. Old Battlefield, UT, Tribes, and Planetside always had massive multiplayer modes, just to name a few.

Anyway, this wouldn’t work for reasons everyone above has already stated. That said, I’d take it and play it if they add it to DB. I don’t really care if it’s broken or imbalanced or what have you. People said the same about Ranked and Execution. I want more game modes and maps to play so badly I’d even settle for this.

(Press E) #9

Also worth considering, competing with other large Battle Royale games probably isn’t a good idea. It hasn’t gone well for a lot of other companies that tried to make their own.
Dying Light released a battle royale version recently, it peaked at 450 players and an average of around 200, whereas the base Dying Light game is sitting at an average of 4,600 players for 4 year old a single player/co-op game. And don’t even get me started on The Culling 2.

Ultimately unless you’re a large company that can advertise something like this, or a very popular game, I can’t see a BR mode going well

(bgyoshi) #10

You missed the part where a certain company made a game that is entirely DM/TDM and call its game mode “battle royale” and it became such a massively popular game that it stuck as common nomenclature.

(Mc1412013) #11

Well since 98% of devs were removed i doubt we would even see a hot fix ever again so i doubt that any modes/updates /events would even make it to a napkin at a bar

(Meerkats) #12

Battle royale is the cancer that is killing FPS.

Thanks, but no thanks. I’d prefer death via autoerotic asphyxiation.

Figures. Serious question though, who was it? CoD, PUBG, or Fortnite? On a related note, I can’t wait until Fortnite dies. Never played, but it’s embarrassing how it has invaded ‘pop culture’. I was watching a hockey game a few days ago and they had a Fortnite dance competition during intermission. Grown ass men participating…

(Your worst knifemare.) #14

The only good battle royal was the Hunger Games.

(Teflon Love) #15

Obviously you haven’t seen the original Battle Royal movie yet (which is based on a book).

(bgyoshi) #16

Fortnite

PUBG was a Battlegrounds game (hence the name) until Fortnite changed it to Battle Royale