Balancing Idea - A very stupid one

(auburnCapital) #1

Welcome, here’s my awful idea of balancing the game:
Add all the other mercs in the next patch.

After playing against a team of only Fraggers and Auras, I reasoned that because of the limited number of characters, the “overpowered” mercs were discovered faster and no-one was willing to try out the others. Adding in the other characters would give more choices and -maybe- make people stray away from playing as Aura and Fragger all the time. That’d be nice.

I know this idea is terrible, but hey, thought I’d share

(1BASiC) #2

The problem is not the limited number of classes, but the unbalanced between these classes, in 8vs8 matches’ve seen 6 of 8 with Aura and Proxy game impossible to play. Combining SMG to the proxy and his current speed the game will be impossible for who use an Skyhammer or Arty.
And in my opinion would be to increase the Head Shot, because it takes too much now.

(auburnCapital) #3

I agree with you about the unbalance, it’s very evident that Aura and Fragger (forgot to mention Proxy in op) are unbalanced, adding in all the other mercs (in my opinion) would give more options in countering/standing a chance against the unbalanced classes whilst the devs fixed them. Also we’d get to play with all the other classes and that’d be great.

(woll3) #4

I agree that there should be more Merc´s available, especially at this stage, if there is only one that isnt popular it isnt such a huge problem as when there are 3 unpopular choices in one class and the game is in open beta, then the damage is done, right now SD should throw everything they have at us to make sure it works, especially considering that they havent gone far in this regard since the alpha.

(auburnCapital) #5

^^, I’ve never seen anyone excpet myself playing Arty, and he’s pretty good. People only play as Skyhammer when they haven’t bought Fragger yet. Pains me to see such useful mercs going to waste because of 2 unbalanced ones.

(appreciativeBuster) #6

I play Skyhammer all the time. :shrugs:

Eat my strikes noobs

(auburnCapital) #7

Skyhammer is pretty fun and very useful, it’s a shame he’s neglected for Fragger’s overpowered as shit damage eggs. Glad to see someone who actually uses him. You’re an example to the community.

(sinKrin) #8

I’ve got a screenshot of an entire team of Skyhammers.
I don’t understand the lack of love for Arty. He cracks me up every time he says “Here comes Arty” in that accent of his.

(GregHouseMD) #9

Skyhammer is probably my favorite merc - versatile, with two very useful abilities. I play Arty quite a bit, too - I’m a fan of underdogs, and his artillery is seriously underrated ( also, nobody - NOBODY - expects it ).

I agree, though. With every new merc, the metagame is going to change, either a little or a lot. A lot of the complaints we’ve seen so far probably owe to the fact not all roles are filled yet. I mean, would people complain about Proxy if some of the other beefy mercs were in the game? I don’t know, but I imagine they’d create problems.

Fragger, I don’t know. A lot of people who seem to know what they’re talking about are saying his grenades are overpowered. I’m not sure I’ve seen a solution suggested so far that wouldn’t break it, but I guess it depends on whether SD were going for a fragging tool or area denial.

(lapislazuliPark) #10

Gotta love the arty. Although his default G3 rifle is just bad. Too unreliable at getting headshots (where it excels) (although i could just suck) so i just go burst fire rifles.

Honestly though a lot of the problems i see is that it’s just down to a lack of choice (as mentioned earlier) Aside from fragger Skyhammer is the only merc to use assault rifles and he’s a support. So if you like those two then you use skyhammer. That and Arty is harder to use to get the same performance so if you want to go support you play Skyhammer. Same with the proxy spam as she is the only engi, (being fixed with todays patch) Same thing with people complaining about aura (although that’s more of target prioritisation more than anything else). Explosives counter aura so when more of those come in we will more than likely see that Aura is balanced.

(Szakalot) #11

[quote=“1BASiC;12639”]
The problem is not the limited number of classes, but the unbalanced between these classes, in 8vs8 matches’ve seen 6 of 8 with Aura and Proxy game impossible to play. Combining SMG to the proxy and his current speed the game will be impossible for who use an Skyhammer or Arty.
And in my opinion would be to increase the Head Shot, because it takes too much now.[/quote]

maps just can’t handle 8v8 spam.

Longer cooldowns on ALL abilities in 8v8 would make it much more enjoyable.

(auburnCapital) #12

Appreciate all the replies everyone!

Glad to see that people agree, and also thank you LapisLazuli for the insight to Aura’s weaknesses. Adding something I forgot to put in my original post, more choice = more counters, and having more ways to deal with Fragger and Aura cough Hurry up and add Phoenix already cough

Side note, $10 for a merc? Was that always a thing?