Automating custom settings in a custom campaign

(.Chris.) #41

No, you need map script, map info, pakmeta.conf/addon.conf and probably some other things.

(timestart) #42

[QUOTE=taw_m0nsta;381113]I just did this first tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVr4xiDBACw&feature=related
After compiling it as well in ‘base\maps’ as ‘base\maps\references\darkroom’

writing to: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\enemy territory quake wars\base\maps\references\darkroom\darkroom.world
Saved maps/references/darkroom/darkroom.world in 0.00602537 seconds
--- StartWorldCompile ---
    6 total world brushes
    0 total bad brushes
    0 total world patches
    0 total world models
    0 total references
    4 entities
    0 bot entities
    0 total detail models
    0 LOD entities
    0 Imposter entities
   24 planes
    0 areaportals
    0 BSP-generating models
size: ( -128 -128 -64 ) to ( 128 128 64 )
renderable size: ( -128 -128 -64 ) to ( 128 128 64 )
----- WriteOutputFile -----
Writing maps/references/darkroom/darkroom.procb
writing to: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\enemy territory quake wars\base\maps\references\darkroom\darkroom.procb
0 total shadow triangles
0 total shadow verts
writing maps/references/darkroom/darkroom.entities
writing to: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\enemy territory quake wars\base\maps\references\darkroom\darkroom.entities
writing maps/references/darkroom/darkroom.bot_entities
writing to: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\enemy territory quake wars\base\maps\references\darkroom\darkroom.bot_entities
-----------------------
Compile completed in 00
writing maps/references/darkroom/darkroom.cm
writing to: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\enemy territory quake wars\base\maps\references\darkroom\darkroom.cm
writing maps/references/darkroom/darkroom.cmb
writing to: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\enemy territory quake wars\base\maps\references\darkroom\darkroom.cmb
collision data:
     1 models
     8 vertices (0 kB)
    13 edges (0 kB)
     6 polygons (0 kB)
    24 polygon edges (0 kB)
     6 brushes (0 kB)
    36 brush planes (0 kB)
     0 nodes (0 kB)
     6 polygon refs (0 kB)
     6 brush refs (0 kB)
     4 internal edges
     0 sharp edges
    30 contained polygons removed
     0 polygons merged
     2 kB total memory used
-------------------------------------
Created collision map in 00
Compile finished.

and entering ‘devmap darkroom’ just like the tutorial shows, the console returns:
"User Map Start Denied ‘Unknown Campaign ‘darkroom’’.

I made .pk4 file of all the darkroom files and tried it agian, but the game as well in ‘WinXP > Steam > ETQW’, WinXP > SDK > ETQW and by OSX > CD > ETQW show the same error.

I know the map is very minimal, but it still should be able to play right?[/QUOTE]

Error message tells you the problem - “User Map Start Denied 'Unknown Campaign ‘darkroom’”. Need to start the map in objective mode (si_rules sdGameRulesObjective).

(taw_m0nsta) #43

thanks both!

(taw_m0nsta) #44

my first map :stroggbanana:

(Susefreak) #45

set si_rules sdGameRulesObjective

edit: Too late

(Donnovan) #46

m0nsta!

For the love of mother!!! You dont need all those settings for light!

This will fit in almost cases!

Squarelight light (default on SDK):

{
“light_radius” “300 300 300”
“name” “donn_light_1”
“classname” “light”
“light_origin” “4960 -5952 2320”
}

Rounded light:

{
“light_radius” “300 300 300”
“texture” “lights/biground1”
“name” “donn_light_2”
“classname” “light”
“light_origin” “5008 -5952 2320”
}

You can change the “classname” to “light_interior” if you know the light is in a portaled indoor area! But this is not a must!

(Donnovan) #47

Any help with your map, send me a line! I will love to help you with it!

(taw_m0nsta) #48

Thanks Donnovan! You (and others) already have been a great help since I have your maps in my resource folder!

Still having a proudness-overload when walking in my tiny box :smiley: When I was playing with the lights in the SDK I noticed a lot of cool lights with great texture in it. Yeah, I suppose my first goal will be cool underground abandoned bunker. I really wanna dive into the light/ambient/atmoshere settings, especially need to figure out how the glow works. (not the projected light, but the glow/mist/dust around a light) This week I am just gonna do the second tutorial-for-noobs. So much new stuff to learn!

(taw_m0nsta) #49

Just a quick question now that I have some attention :smiley:

What about moving lights? Or flickering lights? I guess I never seen them…
Not that I am into building a discoroom now or something, but what about mirrors? Is it possible?

(Susefreak) #50

ETQW doesn’t like movers, especially in multiplayer

The only thing you could do is use a door function tho, just like Chris did on Maridia.

(.Chris.) #51

Flickering lights are defined in the material file (texture).

(Donnovan) #52

m0nsta,

If the texture used for light have animation (flickring for example), the light will have animation.

The texture is set on the light entity via this key/value: “texture” “lights/biground1”

If you not set the light texture, it will use the default (“lights/squarelight1”)

You can open the SDK, create a small room, add a light in it and then test the light textures on that light so you can see they working.

Just be sure to turn on animations (i believe you do that with F6 or F8 on the camera windows).

(taw_m0nsta) #53

Thank you! Yeah I have been playing with the SDK again. Sadly my small room turned to out be major building with textures errrors saying they have been repeated for more then 128 times. I suppose I need to split up my walls :smiley: So yeh my next goal is to figure out if theres an easy way to split up walls to multiple pieces. When you alter the visible area of an texture does that mean it created a new texture? Guess there should be a way of not doing that, by simply moving the texture around in the wall or something.

I also learned that how bigger the room the less the amount of light brightness it projects. Is it safe to use lights twice or more on the exact same location?

Anyway, I can see there is a major road left for doing a ‘yeh, not bad for a’ first map. Playing around with the SDK elements feels fun, but I am very worried about the scripting part. But havn’t dived into that part yet. I understand what most map scripts do, but I am terrible code writer myself… (apart from CSS/XHTML)

(Runeforce) #54

I think it should be safe, but it slows down the rendering by great magnitudes (the more cross-lightning you add, the greater the magnitude.) No problem on high-end machines, but it can cause considerably less fps on low-end machines. This is one of the things you want to optimize out (as much as possible) before making a final release of a map.

You want to weigh the precision (and technique) of your artistic expressions against the system requirements (and in essence, this is what making computer games and interactive art/entertainment is about.)

(taw_m0nsta) #55

A quick demo by using 1 light :o

(taw_m0nsta) #56

Question: Is there a way to open .world files of vanilla maps? For some reason the SDK returns errors like I posted in previous posts in this topic. I don’t get them when I open my own .world files.

If not, having this little experience of adding a light, I know understand that adding lights in vanilla map without the option to open a vanilla worldmap in the SDK is a nightmare, if I want to do it ‘well’… But know that I have 1,84% knowledge of the SDK, I experienced it as fun thing. Normally I design websites, package and print/offset productions, this is a fun way of learning some mapping/3d basics. If my conclusion is right about the vanilla .world files, Ill probebly gonna work on a night map my own.

(Scrupus) #57

uhm, there are no .world files for stock maps AFAIK?

There is a bunch of reference .world files in the SDK though.

And you can find the .entitity files in one of the pak* files. All lights are defined there I think, and you can probably replace them using the same coordinates.

(taw_m0nsta) #58

I was afraid so x2.

Can find the .world files, but when opening them it gives me the finger.

Played around in Blender today for the first time and did some playing on a terrain, fun :smiley:
Oh boy, so much to learn!

What do you guys use for creating buildings and ‘blocky’ structures, just the normal ETQW SDK or a tool like Blender? When I was trying to shape a wall (my goal was a rounded corner) in the SDK it knocked down XP for some reason I can’ tell, so I guess my destiny is using Blender for building models and decoration, and only use the squared way of laying map structure and maybe some basic texture adding in the SDK. Haven’t found the ‘import .world in .world’ option in the SDK yet, but I guess thats a pretty essential function for creating maps.

Are you required to import an atmosphere in every building, or when you are simply using 1 in 1 building will it be used also for other buildings with a special defined atmosphere?

(Scrupus) #59

[QUOTE=taw_m0nsta;381987]I was afraid so x2.
Can find the .world files, but when opening them it gives me the finger.
[/QUOTE]

They’re probably pointing to some references or other stuff that’s not included in the SDK. But interesting they are there, I didnt’t know. Btw, all the stock terrain models are there though - I’ve sucessfully imported several of them for testing out “alternative” ideas. One of my test maps use the salvage terrain with a nice wolfenstein style castle (imported from W:ET) up in the mountains :slight_smile:

Played around in Blender today for the first time and did some playing on a terrain, fun :smiley:
Oh boy, so much to learn!

:slight_smile:

Building terrains is really fun, but it’s a lot of work - especially if you change something with the map layout later on, requiring more terrain model changes. It’s a pain if you already added a lot of brushwork and structures, as mostly everything have to be aligned and adjusted again. The fine-adjustment phase should probably be left for later anyway - doesn’t matter if some building is half-covered by terrain model for example, while testing out the layout.

What do you guys use for creating buildings and ‘blocky’ structures, just the normal ETQW SDK or a tool like Blender? When I was trying to shape a wall (my goal was a rounded corner) in the SDK it knocked down XP for some reason I can’ tell, so I guess my destiny is using Blender for building models and decoration, and only use the squared way of laying map structure and maybe some basic texture adding in the SDK. Haven’t found the ‘import .world in .world’ option in the SDK yet, but I guess thats a pretty essential function for creating maps.

I think most of the mappers in QW use brushwork for the structures actually. You can often use patches to make more rounded shapes (but that’s an art by itself). Brushes are easier to work on, especially when you have to change something later. Models is more for objects and fixed details that repeats a lot, like light poles and such. But if you want more “modern” architecture ala Brink, models is probably better. But I don’t think I would recommend starting on models (except for the terrain), until you master the art of brushwork. It’s simpler to learn, and give you more freedom to experiment with changes.

About importing .world files, it’s much simpler than you think - it’s called references :slight_smile: Check out the wiki on how to handle those - they are really useful!

Are you required to import an atmosphere in every building, or when you are simply using 1 in 1 building will it be used also for other buildings with a special defined atmosphere?

I’ve only used one, for the outdoor area - not quite sure how it works when you use them inside buildings.

btw, a lot of this stuff is explained in the SDK wiki, I strongly recommend to search and look around in most of the sections there. It’s actually a really good wiki/documentation for the SDK, and you will find a lot of nice tips and tricks. Including background stuff that is useful for other mapping as well - not only for EditWorld/QW :slight_smile: