Are Holidays a Chore?

(TheStrangerous) #1

Serious debate…

Over the recent years I’ve found me-self loathing these days. Cause whenever one comes, everyone gets all pumped up and rushes into preparations. And I reluctantly participate in them, only deeming them pointless the next day, after it’s all over.

I get it, it’s to have fun and all, but these chores… ugh… As if the world’s about to end next day…

Don’t get me started on Valentines day. “HARR HAAR, you’re a single virgin!”. Sure, I might be single, but having a girlfirend chews up lots of your time, and the responsibility and all, no thanks.

Feeling the same way?

(Chilled Sanity) #2

Well its about perspective I personally see everything as a chore
Eating, Training, Playing games, Work, Even sleeping

While someone else can enjoy everything, and by that I mean EVERYTHING

You are not supposed to enjoy everything, you can enjoy something you want, You can hate something you want.

TL;DR: Don’t force yourself into stuff because should. Force yourself into stuff because you want to.

(GatoCommodore) #3

hey, i dont even like most of holiday.

because i live alone i could do what i want

I like them, but stuff like Black Friday and Valentine’s Day is crap. Christmas and the 4th are my favorites. They’re only a chore if you make them one. It’s all perspective.

(bgyoshi) #5

When I was single, Valentine’s Day was a no-limits day. Eat whatever I wanted, do whatever I wanted (unless work), and spoil myself with candy.

Nowadays it’s more spoil my husband than anything, but it goes to show it’s all perspective.

I love holidays. My family likes getting together and I like being around my family. Any excuse to have a party.

(Mc1412013) #6

Usualy i have my christmas stuff up outside the saturday after haloween. Its not warm but its in advance of the bitter cold and frozen ground. Easter i dont decorate my kids no longer liitle kids any more but they are still young enough for painting easter eggs.

Haloween im never home as we walk around my parents town. And my wife makes us spend an hour in line to get the stupid chipotle deal if u wear a costume. I just wear my work jacket.

4th of july usualy i have to work but afterwords watch a bunch of ileagal fire works at the park across from my parents house but now that the made some of them legal in my state ill be setting them off this year. My wife already said hell no but me and my kids said otherwise just have to buy them and store outside somehow.

and i never get the other holodays off so i work all day even though i get crap jobs.

(Xenithos) #7

@bgyoshi said:
When I was single, Valentine’s Day was a no-limits day. Eat whatever I wanted, do whatever I wanted (unless work), and spoil myself with candy.

Nowadays it’s more spoil my husband than anything, but it goes to show it’s all perspective.

I love holidays. My family likes getting together and I like being around my family. Any excuse to have a party.

Holy crap. The more you know… :*
A lot of people I know expect stuff on Valentine’s specifically more from the male instead of the female. Kudos to you!

(Xenithos) #8

@TheStrangerous said:
Over the recent years I’ve found me-self loathing these days. Cause whenever one comes, everyone gets all pumped up and rushes into preparations. And I reluctantly participate in them, only deeming them pointless the next day, after it’s all over.

I get it, it’s to have fun and all, but these chores… ugh… As if the world’s about to end next day…

Don’t get me started on Valentines day. “HARR HAAR, you’re a single virgin!”. Sure, I might be single, but having a girlfirend chews up lots of your time, and the responsibility and all, no thanks.

Feeling the same way?

I wouldn’t say I hate the days, but I wouldn’t say they’re my favorite times ever. My experience with them really goes down to how my family acts during these times, especially my mom. If she’s having a golden day, pretty much everyone else is too, and it’s a blast to the point where I probably wouldn’t bother playing any video games and not miss them either. Sadly this happens on one holiday about once every 5 years.

As for Valentine’s day, I’ve always been single, and when I do find the right woman, she probably wouldn’t be getting any special treatment on Valentine’s day (partly because I’m just not for it, really though I want to treat her at least once a month like a valentine’s day every month, and I was raised where loving others was a choice you have to make every single day.) but I am all for mother’s day/father’s day though, and personally, those days should be every day.

Christmas, Thanksgiving (I do love my extended family to pieces), 4th of July, and Easter are all good for me according to the rule in paragraph 1. I’m also a little bit more of a stricter sect of Christian though, so we don’t exactly paint up easter eggs and hunt for them, nor is anyone really a super greedy kid. 2/3 of my full family in the state I live in are poor, the kids are happy with anything. Honestly the best gifts in Christmas are clothing or food that’s specifically chosen for people, and being around and kinda family reunionizing, if that’s a word.

Halloween is known to us simply as going to Walmart and Kroger after Midnight and get half off chocolate for dirt prices. 20$ on 3 musketeers or twix gets you an easy 4+ pounds if you know where to go. I don’t bother with Halloween, never cared, never will. St. Patrick’s day is fun to explore what color ketchup all the fastfood places are selling and what deals are out there. We had 11 burger kings where I was growing up, and every single one of them had a small french fry per person for free on ST. Patrick’s with green ketchup. Needless to say we hit 9 of them twice that day. :expressionless: Don’t judge me.

Favorite holiday is probably thanksgiving or Independence day. We never really do anything fancy for the 4th of July, but we used to have a friend whose uncle owned firework stores before we moved and I would sit there and watch 10k$ worth of fireworks blown up for free. That day is actually my Grampa’s birthday, and since he’s dead now… it’s not exactly the same anymore, but where I live now has a free fair every year and they close or start the fair by setting off a bunch of community fireworks with a firework show. Very fun. I like smaller towns.

I guess to me holidays are days to remember to ease up on life, not take everything absolutely seriously all the time, and try not to hate everyone during those times either. They can definitely be a chore though that I detest as well, but usually it’s not my fault they get that way.

(bgyoshi) #9

@Xenithos said:

Holy crap. The more you know. Bgyoshi is a married (woman…?) that loves her family and spoils her husband. Which is like, the opposite of most people these days. A lot of people I know expect stuff on Valentine’s specifically more from the male than the female. Kudos to you.

Puaha, I fit the perceived expectation of gamers. I’m definitely a guy, and I’m definitely married to another guy. All that’s good and legal out here, thankfully.

Valentine’s Day is whatever you make it. It’s a day that everyone can plan to set aside for showing love to others. It’s not like you appreciate someone on that day and ONLY that day; it’s just a day that everyone can plan for. Some people need a reminder, others are good at planning time every so often.

You can give Valentine’s Day gifts to your platonic friends, your family… anyone special. It’s not just about couples. That’s how I was raised and that’s why I’ve always enjoyed Valentine’s Day.

(Xenithos) #10

@bgyoshi said:

@Xenithos said:

Holy crap. The more you know. Bgyoshi is a married (woman…?) that loves her family and spoils her husband. Which is like, the opposite of most people these days. A lot of people I know expect stuff on Valentine’s specifically more from the male than the female. Kudos to you.

Puaha, I fit the perceived expectation of gamers. I’m definitely a guy, and I’m definitely married to another guy. All that’s good and legal out here, thankfully.

Valentine’s Day is whatever you make it. It’s a day that everyone can plan to set aside for showing love to others. It’s not like you appreciate someone on that day and ONLY that day; it’s just a day that everyone can plan for. Some people need a reminder, others are good at planning time every so often.

You can give Valentine’s Day gifts to your platonic friends, your family… anyone special. It’s not just about couples. That’s how I was raised and that’s why I’ve always enjoyed Valentine’s Day.

Well said. Oof at me.