(Coup_de_grace) #21

Archie Fletcher

Stats :
Commando Type
Mid-Class Toon
14 Energy, 2 Energy per square movement
Explosive Crossbow Skill

Description :
A hunter that doesn’t like games of hide and seek, let him catch the sight of you in cover and he will blow you off with quivers of explosive arrows. His arrows also tend to have a higher chance than normal to get a critical (especially if the targeted opponent is in cover). One of the few non-calvary toons that works well even if equipped with melee weapons. Best equipped with Slugga bat, Katana or Hoo-AR.

Strategy :
Archie will mostly not contribute much in terms of damage. He has limited mobility and thus makes it difficult for him to attack and have sufficient energy for cover. Archie is a mid range toon so use shoot & hide tactics similar to Suds (where one can spit out the most firepower with least energy spend on movement) to halt advance and guard an area. Be sure to have other toons support to deal a great amount of damage or Archie’s position could be easily overrun by calvary toons. Archie with a melee weapon can keep the opponents at a safe distance away from himself and your sniper toons and at the same time he can still harass anyone at a distance with explosive arrows. This provides Archie with more flexibility and mutual support to the team. Some Commanders prefer range weapons where they utilize Explosive arrow if opponent is in cover and Hoo-AR or Biffilo if not in cover. This selection will come down to personal preference of play style and team setup. Archie is a semi-pusher, soften your opponents up and hold-your-ground type toon.

Explosive Arrow Skill :
DON’T Use Explosive Arrow unless dealing PRIMARY damage to opponents. It is a sodding waste to deal only a minor amount of damage with 6 Energy spent that doesn’t even provide a knock back which is a common move seen executed by AI. The side damage (one square range only) is only a generous bonus to hurt any other toons who happen to be hiding stubbornly in cover. The arrow usage is straight forward with range of third square from position to the sixth square. To use this skill effectively and take cover, it is advisable to maneuver Archie before hand into mid range distance from opponent. If possible, try to target arrow towards opponents behind cover, this seems to give a higher chance of critical. Sometimes moving the same steps (all attacks towards toon you want to kill) but changing the order of movement (the whole team) will also result in Archie’s explosive arrow getting a critical. So if you really need to squeeze every little precious bit of damage to make a kill this would be a handy tip, but it isn’t a guaranteed trick.

The next post will be from the highest priced toon for a change, The Russian Grizzly Bear Ivan Tykila.

(Coup_de_grace) #22

Ivan Tkilya

Stats :
Commando Type
Heavy-Class Toon
18 Energy, 3 Energy per square movement
Concussion Grenade Skill

Description :
Droopy eyes and a size of a bear, Ivan is no gummy bear. With a huge backpack and his heavy weight one can’t help but wonder how his nimble feet can support him. Dormant and slow moving, this snorlax strikes out with furry when facing opponents. He can also toss a concussion grenade that slows down opponents, dampening their attack and movement for 2 turns. An expensive toon due to his default weapon, it can take many matches to be able to afford Ivan. Best equipped with Biffilo MG or MiniMax.

Strategy :
Slow on his feet but deals a heavy blow if opponents are in range, Ivan is well adapted for mid to short range battles. Minimax requires 6 energy per shot and has a range of 5 (one less than usual MGs). At maximum range MiniMax deals 56 Damage, but as he gets closer to his opponents he can deal a whooping 108 Damage at point blank. As Ivan has a huge HP pool he works well as a frontline tanker while at the same time can also lash out a heavy assault against opponents. Due to Ivan’s limited mobility it is best if he is partnered with Gus Marx for reaching objective areas and dealing maximum offense. Ivan can also be a formidable toon equipped with Biffilo. The slightly longer range of Biffilo will save the much needed energy for offensive power. However Ivan is too slow, it is advisable to have at least a calvary toon to help delay opponents advance. Ivan can also suit well for playing defensively. Camping at a secure cover, Ivan can provide support fire in defensive turn. Working together with Angela Merci, opponents will have a hard time killing him in one turn. Ivan is a Damage-dealer and tanker role toon.

Concussion Grenade Skill :
“Where are you going??” and a blast of electrical crackle can be heard. A great team support skill, any unlucky opponents caught in the 2 radius blast will suffer a reduction of energy by half for 2 turns. (14 to 7, 18 to 9 etc.) This skill is a preemptive move for a massive offensive operation. This skill can upset even the most well defended positions into total chaos. Try to catch as many as possible toons in the blast radius. Make sure to have other toons ready and within range to secure a charge. At this point, the enemy only has two choices. Stay and try to dish out some damage to kill someone or try to retreat to the nearest corner cover. The beauty of this skill is that you are now transformed into predator mode, taking cover is the last thing on your mind (provided your team has not been badly wounded), all you have to do is anticipate your prey’s severely limited mobility to execute the best movement to deal the most damage in the next turn. This would also require careful planning that opponents cannot reach far enough for cover. Blocking maneuvers if necessary can help to trap opponents within line of fire. Lastly, if you are getting tired of the constant harass of well placed turrets yet can’t afford to waste any firepower on destroying the turret, the concussion grenade can also disable the turret, enabling your team to ignore the turret for two turns and divert your firepower elsewhere.

(Coup_de_grace) #23

Special Issue: The Holy Grail of all skills - Artillery

Level 7 marks the start of revolutionary warfare, battles are no longer won solely by maneuvering our own toons but also by displacing opponents. The introduction of artillery strike single-handedly brings the term cover to a whole new level. There is no place that we can’t reach you, there is no place for the lesser minded.

The strike delivers a decent 25-ish Damage to opponents 10 squares away, even out of plain sight, damage will still be taken when the strike hits 1-2 squares nearby (reduced amount of 19 and 8). If the tiny damage doesn’t spook you, what follows will. Stumbling out off partial wall or barrier covers due to the blast force, only to be shot down by opponent fire in the open. The body gets colder and colder eventually fading to dust, while the killer pays his last respects for the toon’s quick and painless death. Sharp minded Commanders will always look for an artillery strike prey before making any moves, saving the ace for priority targets (not striking whenever possible just to hurt opponent); ending every turn considering its unforgiving effects. Well placed toons will enable firepower to be directed down the corridor to KILL any unfortunate toon knocked out of cover, instantly reducing opponents firepower and depriving any useful skills the dead toon could possibly contribute.

Artillery strike is a snipers best friend, especially when mobility is restricted or any shots dealt to opponents is reduced drastically by cover. This skill may seem weak and easily mastered, but it serves not only for offensive maneuvers but location scouting and defensive purposes as well. This may seem confusing, but recall this: “If you can target someone from a certain position, so can the opponent”. Base on this concept, one can make use of the artillery strike target ground indicator to determine if the opponent can engage you from certain positions, or possibility of you attacking any toons that move to a certain location.

In short, artillery strikes serves as an attack indicator for YOU(since hairpin indicator will not appear unless a toon can reach and have sufficient energy to attack) much like the red indicator one would see on the ground if opponent toons are selected. This is a handy trick as the commander is agile enough to move a good amount of distance to scout out for several ally toons at different fronts (undo button will then revert commander back to original position to make final intended move). This also serves as a counter-sniper tactic, due to the long range of snipers and occasionally odd angles or walls, knowing if a position is a good and secure cover is crucial. A great skill to have at hand, mastery of this skill will ensure swift and solid victory.

(Jerry-Rigs) #24

[QUOTE=Coup_de_grace;436961]Special Issue: The Holy Grail of all skills - Artillery
… Base on this concept, one can make use of the artillery strike target ground indicator to determine if the opponent can engage you from certain positions, or possibility of you attacking any toons that move to a certain location.

In short, artillery strikes serves as an attack indicator for YOU(since hairpin indicator will not appear unless a toon can reach and have sufficient energy to attack) much like the red indicator one would see on the ground if opponent toons are selected. This is a handy trick as the commander is agile enough to move a good amount of distance to scout out for several ally toons at different fronts (undo button will then revert commander back to original position to make final intended move). This also serves as a counter-sniper tactic, due to the long range of snipers and occasionally odd angles or walls, knowing if a position is a good and secure cover is crucial. A great skill to have at hand, mastery of this skill will ensure swift and solid victory.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant! I have been trying to find an easy way to determine Line Of Sight (LOS). Thanks for the tip.

(Coup_de_grace) #25

It was a spur of the moment that i thought of it too… By the way jerry, you have only been challenging my younger brother this whole time (since we both use same acc), when are you gonna tango with me? >.<

(Jerry-Rigs) #26

@Coup, How am I to know who’s on the account? If you can kick your infant brother off your account, I can give you something to chuckle about. Doesn’t matter though. I’m not proud. I can lose to anybody.

(Coup_de_grace) #27

Megan Mcnick

Stats :
Engineer Type
Light-Class Toon
12 Energy, 1 Energy per movement square
Spider Mines Skill

Description :
She thinks she is hot, but she really is not, in fact if you just stare at her a little longer you will come to see the resemblance of a faun. Agile and deadly, she can run circles around opponents all the while shooting a barrage of pellets that deals a massive amount of damage. She can also reach far to repair damaged structures which can be useful to maintain Dee’s shield bot or deploy-able cover. Finally Megan can lay mines that deals 86-ish damage that even boost a knock back to delay opponent advance and secure any ground she have covered.

Strategy :
Take extra precaution to keep Megan alive, she is fragile and many skills out there can reduce her to dust easily. She is a good frontline calvary which will expose her to a lot of dangers. Megan has few roles to play on the battlefield, and is not a difficult toon to master. The primary function of megan is to delay opponents advance and secure important pathways. Use her agility to navigate around corners keeping opponents at bay weary of her deadly shotgun. Be patient in using Megan as she may not be able to run close up to opponents, deal damage and have enough energy to take cover. If the situation is against you, simply hold your ground in a secure cover while other toons arrive to reinforce your position. Megan is great in securing narrow alleys, and rerouting to threaten vulnerable flanks. She can also be useful to punch through weak lines of defense and trap oppoents with some blocking maneuvers by crates or herself. Lastly, due to Megan’s agility, a commander can utilize the shotgun’s knock back (point blank range except for Hamjack SG of range one) to push opponents out of cover and link with a follow up assault by other team members for a kill. Note that you can also deal a knock back to any toons behind barricade or short wall cover albeit with only half the intended damage. Best equipped with Stumpington SG (for maximum agility) or Hamjack Auto-SG. In certain cases some may find her handy with the Awuga-6 Revolver as it boost a closer constant damage output regardless of range all the while still having a handy knock-back capability of an SG at point blank.

Mine Layering Skill :
A simple skill to master, always try deploying mines at narrow paths that leads to two different directions for maximum ground cover. For example at train station map if a toon wants to either navigate to behind metal wall cover or middle signboard cover he/she wil definitely have to walk on the red square (screenshots illustrating this will be posted soon) thus covering two paths with one mine. Mines can also be used to knock out any opponent toons in secure cover (similar to Suds C4, refer to Suds post if unclear how this works). Any foolish opponents who clump his/her toons together will live and get hurt together if any one of the toons steps onto the spider mines.

There is two ways in using mines effectively. You could either make it obvious, or keep your opponents guessing. If you would like to delay advance (and quite confident the opponent has no detecto-sweep) you could run forward, lay a mine and return to cover. The Commander toon only has a reveal invisible range of two making it very difficult to detect the exact location of the mine. It will be obvious to opponents roughly where the mine is, but even if there is an engineer on the team the mine can’t be removed unless revealed. The opponent will be forced to either advance from another direction or in rare cases, just advance and bear the grunt of the mine. The other way would be laying mines as you advance to the front. This would be to advance, pass strategic points that is great for mine layering, deploy mine and continue forward to secure cover or the final strategic point. There is a tiny delay when you stop to lay a mine when the scene is replayed to your opponent so try to make the mine layering as discrete as possible. Continue advancing forward to threaten and pressure the opponents flank using corners to your advantage. The beauty of this tactic is that even thou after an intense crossfire, and somehow Megan is killed, whatever ground she have covered during advance will still be defended by spider mines. Since Megan is agile and dangerous, opponents will tend to hold ground or advance slowly with caution giving Megan much ground to navigate around and lay mines. Eventhou Megan is killed, and leaves no one to defend the particular flank, opponent toons will have a hard time approaching you from that direction due to it being a “Mine Area”.
You might as well erect a sign " Mine Area!!! Walk at your own RISK! "

(Ciakgb) #28

I just lost three Meagan’s on turn one to Coup…frail indeed. How about a 250 hp buff?

(Coup_de_grace) #29

well, you know you should hav stayed in cover :slight_smile: Three megans?? woah, i wasn’t gonna let them run amok wrecking havoc… clumping together just made it even more tempting to do a triple kill >.< my bad… no hard feelings

(Ciakgb) #30

I’m in the experimentation mode…and I missed you had a squirter:). I had calculated I would lose one, but could hem you in for life, alas a squirt to triple kill! Now if I had moved first…note I resigned, a chess thang we should embrace.

(Warchest_Andy) #31

I was thinking about picking up a second Megan to try a two-Megan setup but three?! Killing them early would be the only way to stop half of the battlefield from becoming a no go area.

She’s flimsy though, as you say. I’ve been having fun running a single Megan with the Hamjack but one miscalculation and she’s basically gone…

(Ciakgb) #32

I’m noticing that it takes so long to clear them even if you have detected them, they are very useful. Noticing a lot of oddities when say four guys walk through four mines, which goes where. Noticed that the UAV trips them, FYI, good to use as a minesweeper!

And yes, I want four Meagan’s, only 60,000 credits to go:)

(Coup_de_grace) #33

There are quite a number of unfixed clinks with mines. Mine sets itself on last instead of 1st toon stepping over it, any toon stepping on two consecutive mine (that is placed side by side) will only get damage from 2nd mine although both will be destroyed by detonation, UAV hovers yet triggers mines etc. So if you have multiple megans you will probably encounter lots more bugs, it would be helpful to report at feedback section so devs can do something about it…

(Coup_de_grace) #34

Textbook Kate

Stats :
Medic Type
Light-Class Toon
12 Energy, 1 Energy per square movement
Heal & Toxic Grenade

Description :
Well feared for her “mushroom cloud” toxic grenade, Kate’s presence puts team members at ease, while opponents drown in dreadful emotions. Very agile to run around the battlefield providing some firepower support or useful heals to injured toons, Kate presence also boost a constant fear in opponents familiar with her devastating effects of Toxic Grenade. Often encountered on the field with DoT companion Juan, she can be a thorn in the flesh in experience hands or a nobody.

Strategy :
Kate has a very useful psychological fear effect on opponents, especially when opponent team has no medic toons within their ranks. It can also be useful in causing opponents to disperse toons around the map breaking firepower support, allowing you to attack the weaker line of defense 1st. She can also keep the opponents at a distance, slowing advance. However, she is fragile and much care is needed to take secure cover due to medics being unable to heal themselves. Best equipped with Slugga bat, Awuga-6 or SMGs. Depending on play styles, Kate can be used as a support or calvary toon. Commanders can utilize Kate’s mobility to approach opponents from behind flanks ; Slugga bat or Awuga-6 can then provide a knock back to any toons hiding in cover for a follow up attack. This will put much damage exposure to Kate, so careful and detailed battle conditions analysis is required. Using Kate as a calvary assault will also deprive your team members from heal support if she is too far ahead so a careful well planned all-out assault’s success is critical. Kate can also guard narrow flanks well depending on weapon equipped.
Playing support role for Kate will be fairly simple. Keep her alive, heal any ally toons who is injured, whenever required and within range dish out some damage. Be careful to take secure cover for team members or they will not survive to get healed. Avoid clumping together as this gives opponents a chance to inflict status or AOE damage to Kate and toons beside her. Depending on what weapon Kate holds she can also keep opponents from trying to bring the battle into a close range brawl.

Toxic Grenade Skill :
This skill is the bread and butter of Kate. Use this skill when only three or more opponent toons will be inflicted with poison. Due to the scare factor of Kate being lost the moment Toxic bomb is used/lost it is highly disadvantageous to have Kate killed early at the start of the game or inflicting few opponents with poison. Poison not only serves the purpose of damaging opponents, but also to inhibit opponents from using radical-sc**w cover to deal max damage possible maneuvers. After tossing the toxic bomb it is important to keep pressuring opponents, this will leave no room for opponents to lay back, retreat and heal leisurely. Toxic bomb is deadly, but isn’t gonna kill full hp toons. IT will however soften them up for you to kill them easier. If possible, inflict more than one status effect on opponents. It will send opponents into a panic making haphazard movements.

(Coup_de_grace) #35

Madame LaHaque

Stats :
Sniper Calvary Type
Light-Class Toon
Detonating UAV

Description :
The closes one could get to The Bride in Kill Bill series, Madame is a deadly toon that has multi roles in the battlefield. LaHaque is also a great stand alone toon, able to flank, attack, guard point/passes and delay advance. A great asset in 14pt games where her self support and multi-roles will come in handy, she can also deploy a UAV that can be pilot to move 6 squares around the battlefield. The UAV with 150HP will require 1 Energy to detonate dealing a fixed 57 Dmg with a knockback effect. Default weapon is a highly useful Botherer SR with 69 Dmg at a max range of 8.

Strategy :
Madame is the only toon in the game with high mobility and a long range assault capability. This makes her very useful in hit and run tactics in the early stages of the battle to soften opponent toons. Madame is a fragile toon with a HP pool of 200, however most of the time she will be at a fair amount of distance away from opponents if she is wielding a sniper rifle. Sniper toons on the opposite team will be of the greatest threat to Madame. Be caution of knockback possibilities and take cover at every end of the turn to ensure Madame’s survival. Madame is a sniper toon, but she lacks the firepower punch, thus she needs team support to execute a kill. She deals the most damage with the Botherer SR a massive 140Dmg, however it is difficult to take two shots as she would have to be standing still. Positioning other toons to contribute firepower should be a vital concern.

For Madame RAD commanders can go with three kinds of weapon setup/roles:

High Damage dealer - HSR Range 8
We all love the HSR that deals a whooping 89Dmg with a knockback effect, however it has a hefty 8 Energy requirement for each shot. Currently Madame is the only toon that can wield HSR and still have a fair mobility of 4 movement squares. Other toons can hardly perform well on their own with the HSR as it severely limits toon mobility. The HSR is not a really strong weapon, and the Dmg/Energy ratio is hardly impressive compared to other similar sniper rifles available. What HSR has within its bag of tricks is however the psychological scare effect and a useful knockback effect. Even veteran commanders know well it isn’t easy to recover from a 89Dmg shot. It would take time to heal that much HP (assuming single medic within team) and now that the hurt toon has lost a huge chunk of HP, one tiny mistake can be fatal. The knockback can be used to knock opponents out of cover or even to simply delay advance into objective area or in some cases even knock toons out of objective area denying a turn of rocket capture.

Medium/Static Damage dealer - Botherer SR Range 8
Any fools who venture into your kill zone is an easy prey for Madame with botherer. Since taking two shots will require Madame to be static, one can use Madame’s Ghost abillity and quickly position her at a good vantage point (with wide area sight coverage and in cover) for static assault and defense. Madame can remain at the position while being invisible to pick off any toons who advance. Her cloaking ability can act as a deception as opponents might think that Madame is rerouting to another flank while she is actually standing still ready to pounce on any unfortunate prey. If static firefights is not to your fancy, Madame can still navigate 6 squares around the map to attack opponents. 6 movement is frankly a lot and will allow Madame to reach opponents at a great distance while still having energy to take secure cover.

Medium Balanced Build Damage Dealer - Otto SR Range 7
With a Otto equipped Madame can deal slightly more damage of 80 compared to one shot Botherer while still having a good 4 movement flexibility. This setup is ideal for team orientated battles where high mobility of Madame is not required. Team members are positioned in the way where they can provide firepower to deal a large amount of damage to make a kill. With this setup Madame can also use shoot & hide tactics to maximize damage potential. Although it deals 9 Dmg less (after two otto shots) than HSR with equal 8 energy requirement, Otto does however allow the flexibility to have 8 squares movement and deal 40 Dmg. This would be impossible to achieve with the HSR. Moving more than 4 squares may be important especially when opponents uses up-close & personal tactics to negate the damage potential of SR. With the Otto, Madame can retreat a good amount of distance, take one 40dmg shot at her attacker and take cover, effectively avoid being drawn into a close range combat. While standing still Madame can still deal 120Dmg, although this may be even more difficult to pull off due to Otto’s range being 7 one less than Botherer SR.

I do not recommend using melee, SMGs or pistols for Madame, but then again it is down to personal preference and in some situations it maybe useful.

UAV -The Bothersome Fly :
The mechanical buzzing, the large camera eye bearing resemblance of a compound eye, the mobility of 6 movement and a decent above average explosion damage of 57, you better hope this bothersome fly is on your side. The UAV has no second attack option other than self-detonation, yet it isn’t weak to the point where opponents can completely ignore it. It has a decent mobility and detonation deals a knockback at point blank allowing you to deal a follow up attack on any toons knocked out of cover. Treat the UAV as a toon itself, taking cover and foreseeing its survival till it can sacrifice itself for a greater cause. Secure cover is not needed as UAV suffers no knockback from any abilities. If the opponent happens to use toon abilities to kill your UAV it would be to your advantage as they will be wasting the skill. So no secure cover is needed, taking cover will be good enough to ensure survival while tempting any weak-hearted to waste precious skills on killing the ever bothersome and pressuring UAV’s advance. Caution is however needed if they are multiple snipers on opponents team as they can deal a significant amount of damage even if UAV is in cover. The UAV is fairly simple to master, but there are some tricks one can execute with it.

1. Blocking and delay advance at narrow one way alleys. Also useful for blocking opponents UAV. Useful for blocking maneuvers to trap opponents(however will not last many turns with 150hp).

2. Detection aura. Mediocre bonus as it may be it can still come in handy in tight situations with a detection range of two.

3. Delay advance. Opponents will not advance hastily for the concern of being in range of self detonation by UAV. Since the UAV has good mobility to constantly advance and take cover every turn, you can exert a good amount of pressure on your opponent. It is by far the most amazing way to harass your opponent. No shooting involved, just advancing forward closing the gap. Virtual harassing.

4. Radical movements. Gives the possibility to detonate and destroy your own Deployable Cover to allow you to gain the line of sight for offense or maneuvering. Detonate beside own toons to provide movement at cost of hp. (best example with Juan where static offense is high but the situation requires one square movement)

Due to the array of possibilities of Madame and her UAV she is a very fun and stand alone toon to have on the battlefield.

Tiny Bugs known :

1. Hovering UAV WILL trigger mines.
  2. Quick animation cancelation of UAV deployment will sometimes result in NO UAV being deployed. Simply undo move and deploy again.

(General_Rommel) #36

More coup!

I was enjoying these. Obviously there’s been major changes since the last post.

(Coup_de_grace) #37

Hipster Dave

Stats :
Commando Type
Light-Class Toon
Frag Grenade

Description :
The very 1st toon everyone obtains for free, this hill billy is a force to be reckoned with. It maybe one of the earliest toon obtained but Dave is no pushover. Dave can stand on par with other late game toons, and often when he tosses his frag grenade the table of balance is bound to be turned. Frag deals a whooping 67 damage with AOE damage to any unfortunate toons around the blast radius. The greatest advantage of frag is the knockback effect, able to knock toons out of position either one square beside target or even 1 square radius of ground zero. A very fun toon to play with, Dave is simple to master, still packs a pretty punch even after Frag is tossed and is cheap to recruit a second within the ranks. Cost 27500 Coins with a default weapon of Hoo-Har AR.

Strategy :
Highly mobile, and deals a decent above average damage Dave’s role on the battlefield is not limited to calvary and soften-up opponents but also as a highly mobile artillery striker. Dave is mobile enough to navigate half of most maps, and Frag that only requires 3 Energy will enable the knockback effect to be applied where Artillery fails to deliver due to odd angles and commander’s limited mobility issues. Skillful commanders will even pair up the Frag+Artillery knockback effect to either delay, re-position opponents, and draw toons into line of fire. Dave is fragile, as all light toons are, so worst-case senario prediction is always necessary. Needless to say, taking secure cover, using Dave’s mobility according to battle conditions (knowing when to advance and retreat) to maintain Dave’s survival is key to victory.

Dave is best equipped with Biffilo MG. Some might fancy him with MiniMax HMG, Hoo-Har AR or various melee weapons. MiniMax is however more of a short-mid weapon excelling in high damage short range burst. While the Hoo-Har AR has a neither high nor low damage output, BUT the only instance Dave can maximize the most of its firepower is while standing static. With the Biffilo, Dave can deal as much damage as standing still with the Hoo-Har AR while still having 2 movement square mobility. The Biffilo also has a rather constant damage/range output. If at risk of being drawn into a near range brawl, Dave can still step two squares back from face to face and deal a painful 52 Dmg TWICE making the opposing toon reconsider rushing up close again. With the Biffilo, Dave also has sufficient energy to re-position himself easily to lay SIGNIFICANT support fire to make the kill and have enough energy for taking cover. Dave also excels in Shoot&Hide tactics thus making him a good toon to hold a ground delaying advance. Dave is a support toon, and good team allies positioning is required for focus fire to make the kill. Lastly, Dave also has a useful Return Fire abillity to cover allies.

Frag Grenade - Swift Kill skill :
Forever Never Ever toss a grenade to hurt multiple opponent toons in the early turns of the game solely to hurt them. Not unless you have follow up attacks to kill one or more toons. The knockback of the grenade is even more precious than the damage itself, this holds true even more now since Artillery strike skill has been reduced to 3 usage only. The damage is secondary to help make the kill easier on the knocked out toon. This skill usage is pretty simple, frag the toon out from secure cover, kill the toon, take cover and survive. Frag requires very little energy and often one can also fire the weapon Dave is equipped with once. As Dave can deal a large amount of damage once with a Frag+attack combo the opponent toon will generally lose a large portion of health. Make sure to position other allies well to lay support fire for a confirmed kill. Only if the kill is guaranteed (and the toon is worth eliminating) should the frag be used. This will also swiftly reduce opponents firepower strength and void him/her of any un-used toon abilities. Opponents will also have no chance to retreat and heal the toon back to health wasting your effort.

Pics will be posted later illustrating an instance where the 1 radius knockback effect of frag can be highly useful even against toons behind “normally” secure cover.

(Coup_de_grace) #38

Special Edition #2 : Priceless Information

Information has always been an important element in warfare. The successful capture of the German’s Enigma machine enable encrypted messages to be deciphered, a major advantage in the war at the pacific. Have the radioman not misinterpreted the large amount of torpedo bombers approaching Pearl Harbor as a flock of birds the air raid alarm would have been raised reducing casualties and increasing counter attack reaction time. Have the Japanese not gather more accurate information they would not have bombed Pearl Harbor without striking critical aircraft carriers that happen to be out at sea on the day of attack.

“We either need an overwhelming force advantage, or we need more information.

Reinforcements cut into our bounty, remember?

It’s unanimous. We need more information.
-Captain Tagon and Colonel Ceeta”

Many classic strategy games has the fog of war in place depriving crucial information. Fortunately enough there is no such fog in RAD battlefields. This free flow of information allows one to gather and understand the flow of the battle, making crucial maneuvers to win the game. It may seem like a disadvantage starting second, but what advantage you do have is the abundance of information.
Key information include:

1. Number of opponent toons
  2. Weapon equipped
  3. Mobility of opponent toons
  4. Positioning/Spread of toons

The number of toons will allow you to judge the amount and type of skills you have to take precaution of. Determining the number of toons and their individual firepower will also allow you to analyze if you would be easily overwhelmed and the strength of opponents setup whether its a long, mid or short range team. Understanding the mobility will enable you to judge how dangerous a toon can be constantly harassing you while staying out of sight or even nimble enough to surround you from multiple flanks. If the toons isn’t very mobile what strengths and contribution does it have in the team? Is it a medic or a heavy-sniper? If so, what can you do? Lastly, the pre-movement of your opponent. How did your opponent spread his/her toons? Are all the toons coming from one direction? Or are they coming from two or more directions? What toon is approaching from that direction? How is the landscape from that direction working with the toon positioned there going to work against you?

All these information should be known to form a successful strategy. This information will not be available for your opponents thus possibly putting him in a bad position if you are able to form a successful counter-offense e.g: pitting nimble killer shotgun toons against long range snipers direction path. The 1st person will undoubtfuly have the advantage of advance allowing more territorial control and flexibility, thus the only fighting chance for winning the fight rest solely on how well you can obtain the information, analyze the situation, understand the threat/precautions needed, critical targets and formation/positioning weakness to form a successful multi-backup counter-offensive plan. A successful plan will not only tip the game in your favour but also force opponent’s who realize the disadvantage they are in to re-position or halt a hasty advance for the intention of territorial control allowing you some breathing room. I have to stress again that it is very important to form a successful counter-offensive strategy that exploits the opponents WEAKNESS in order to gain the upper hand. This analyzing of battlefield in the pre-stage forming counter-strategies should also be employed throughout the course of the game.

Some other micro information that will help in decision/maneuvers making:

1. Amount of dangerous multiple-use skills left by opponents (especially artillery, water-cannon etc.)
  2. Common maneuver patterns employed
  3. Commander’s personality

Knowing the amount of skills your opponents left with will enable you to determine the need to continue taking extreme precaution, or secure covers from knockback. This can sometimes be hard to recall and track with multiple games going on that has draged on for multiple days.

Does the opponent know how to make trick moves? Gush own toon maneuvers? Does the opponent frequently re-routes toons to attack weak points? or does he/she commonly holds ground taking cover waiting for opportunity to strike? Just like how human character and daily antics has a pattern, so does every RAD commander have a maneuvering pattern. Maneuver patterns may also vary base on RAD commanders personality whether they are a patient silent predator, aggressive, sacrifice-anything-for-the-win, slow & steady, panic when its not going according to plan, endurance-hang-back, stubborn-struggle-till-the-end, or even simple minded. If you have went against a common opponent several times you would also be able make a guess on commonly favored toons deployed, common team setup type and battle philosophy.

A battle is won when a commander outwit his/her opponents with unexpected offensive tactics and demoralizing counter-offensive strategies. You know you have won overwhelmingly and broke your opponents spirit when they quit the battle. This post also serves to display to RAD commanders out there that you don’t have an overwhelming advantage because you move 1st, and if you moved second; your are not in an entirely bad spot either.

(Ciakgb) #39

Ok, let me go first this time at market. If its so great, why did you duck my challenge?

(Coup_de_grace) #40

Errrr, i think you are referring to my sibling … The only instance i had went against you back then was when by chance random game placed us against each other and you fielded three megans in market map, and the orbital+grenade combo wiped out the three megans??? Honestly i don’t think we need to pit against each other, you have gotten the point that megan although deadly is fragile which i assume now you would be much swifter and cautious. Also I’m here to generate insight and help players struggle against oppression for freedom and justice :cool::cool::cool: not here to provide a challenge. For that there is always the top brass in the tournament that you can dethrone.