About the Felix in comparison to MOA

(MikeGreene1990) #1

I find it only to be slightly stronger for the slow rate of fire. It does feel similar in functionality but the behavior is different due to the recoil angles.

What i suggest to make Felix more unique between MOA.

1. Severely reduce fire rate and bolt Cycling time as in 1/4 fire rate of MOA.
  2. Buff body hit damage back to its pre-nerf value.
  3. Allow it to gib on head shot by adjusting its critical hit multiplier higher.

To differentiate, this is a long range rifle, 79 damage on body hit. Instant death and gib on head shot.

But to comp for its extreme power in the lethal hands of high skilled players. You cant optimally shoot fast or get many rounds off with extremely slow bolt cycling and rate of fire. As a consequence perhaps lower the mag cap to 5 with a total of 15 rounds.

You can still quick Scope and quick swap, but if you miss the head, you are dead… Where MOA you can get another shot or even two more off while strafing.

(GatoCommodore) #2

oh you can instagib anything with 2 bullets on MOA or Fel-IX
i bet you didnt know that.

also, instagib on 1 shot is OP thats why MoA or Fel-IX doesnt deal 160dmg

(woodchip) #3

Sorry, but your major suggestion is overthetop silly.

In general yeah, the MoA and Felix are too similar.

But the best way to fix that would be to start with a nerf to the MoA, which is oppressively strong. Nerfing MoA body shot damage by 1 would accomplish this effectively.

Nerfing the Felix RoF further is a bad idea for reasons that aren’t worth trying to explain to someone who thinks a 75% RoF nerf is a good idea.

(MikeGreene1990) #4

@woodchip MOA is already plenty nerfed. And to gib it requires 2 shots. 1 to the head other to the body. Not optimal for a 6rd Mag.

My plan with the Felix is to gib any merc with 1 headshot. Including a full health rhino. That is why a ROF Nerf is important. With a 79 hit dmg body shot. It will do some serious dmg to light mercs, even if you don’t hit them in the head.

The MOA is better than the Felix in many ways, but barely in damage. The rate of fire and low recoil for followup shots. The MOA should excel in instant death headshots including a gibbed corpse. But to do that you have to nerf the Rate of fire, otherwise it be broken AF.

The gun should reflect its High .50 Cal design and be used farther back, not at point blank.

(MikeGreene1990) #5

@GatoCommodore said:

That’s not instagib if i have to shoot again after banging their head. Because of the state MOA is in i think its fine for what it does.

But Felix is disadvantaged in rate of fire and recoil for followup shots. Which is technically worse than MOA. But the 5% extra damage is not worth using in most cases.

This is why i said, make Felix instagib on head bang to any merc at full health, nerf rate of fire severely. This will make Felix different and give a more tactical choice based on distance and player skill.

Body Shot damage should be 79, critical hit should be like 400 or something to head. Whatever gibs rhino at full health.

(MikeGreene1990) #6

@woodchip said:

But the best way to fix that would be to start with a nerf to the MoA, which is oppressively strong. Nerfing MoA body shot damage by 1 would accomplish this effectively.

Nerfing the Felix RoF further is a bad idea for reasons that aren’t worth trying to explain to someone who thinks a 75% RoF nerf is a good idea.

Plz enlighten me on this, DPS is a metric after all. Slow rate of fire for instant death damage for head shots in a game where people wall jump sprint and bunny hop.

(GatoCommodore) #7

@MikeGreene1990 said:

@GatoCommodore said:

That’s not instagib if i have to shoot again after banging their head. Because of the state MOA is in i think its fine for what it does.

But Felix is disadvantaged in rate of fire and recoil for followup shots. Which is technically worse than MOA. But the 5% extra damage is not worth using in most cases.

This is why i said, make Felix instagib on head bang to any merc at full health, nerf rate of fire severely. This will make Felix different and give a more tactical choice based on distance and player skill.

Body Shot damage should be 79, critical hit should be like 400 or something to head. Whatever gibs rhino at full health.

nononono

you shoot the body, then you shoot the head. Voila! you instagibbed your opponent without getting downed first. Enjoy the salt of your opponents running on the chat.

instagib will happen if damage=merc hp*2

aimee instagibs all 80hp mercs if snitched
it may feel like shittier vasilli but she does heck lot of a damage more than vasilli

aura can get instagibbed if she gets debilitated by aimee snitch and shot in the head.
Aura is 80HP-1dmg debilitation-179+% damage from debilitation damage bonus= instagib.

(woodchip) #8

@MikeGreene1990 said:

@woodchip said:

Plz enlighten me on this, DPS is a metric after all. Slow rate of fire for instant death damage for head shots in a game where people wall jump sprint and bunny hop.

Well, the first question you have to answer is “how strong is the Felix? Should the Felix be stronger, weaker, or is it about fine?” Keep in mind that the Felix is objectively slightly weaker than the MoA right now (virtually identical shots to kill vs all targets, but slower shots). So however strong the Felix is, the MoA is stronger.

My answer to that first question is the Felix is “about fine”. It’s reasonable for people to disagree on that. It’s reasonable to think that All snipers are too strong in very skilled hands. It’s not, however, reasonable to say that the Felix is OP but the MoA isn’t.

So then let’s look at your suggestion: buff Felix damage back to prenerf status, but lower it’s RoF by 70-75% (!). That would make the Felix absolute trash vs the MoA. Hell, a 79 damage Felix that fired at 60% of the speed of the MoA would be absolute trash.

Remember that a 79 damage Felix has the same shots per kill as the current Felix. So an X% reduction in RoF roughly = an X% reduction in effective TTK / DPS. So in a vacuum a 75% RoF reduction would basically nerf its effectiveness by 75%, while the buff to 79 body damage in a vacuum would increase Felix effectiveness by maybe 5%. If you used the Felix pre and post nerf you know that it’s not a very big difference.

So you’re basically advocating nerfing the weaker sniper by roughly 75%. The auto Gib headshot suggestion wouldn’t remotely make up for it, and to the extent it did gib mechanics are not a good way generally to balance guns.

In any game that is at all competently designed, like this one, it’s a safe bet that when you think something should be radically changed / nerfed (by, say, 75%) it’s just because you don’t understand it well enough.

(MikeGreene1990) #9

@woodchip said:

@MikeGreene1990 said:

@woodchip said:

Well, the first question you have to answer is “how strong is the Felix? Should the Felix be stronger, weaker, or is it about fine?” Keep in mind that the Felix is objectively slightly weaker than the MoA right now (virtually identical shots to kill vs all targets, but slower shots). So however strong the Felix is, the MoA is stronger.

My answer to that first question is the Felix is “about fine”. It’s reasonable for people to disagree on that. It’s reasonable to think that All snipers are too strong in very skilled hands. It’s not, however, reasonable to say that the Felix is OP but the MoA isn’t.

So then let’s look at your suggestion: buff Felix damage back to prenerf status, but lower it’s RoF by 70-75% (!). That would make the Felix absolute trash vs the MoA. Hell, a 79 damage Felix that fired at 60% of the speed of the MoA would be absolute trash.

Remember that a 79 damage Felix has the same shots per kill as the current Felix. So an X% reduction in RoF roughly = an X% reduction in effective TTK / DPS. So in a vacuum a 75% RoF reduction would basically nerf its effectiveness by 75%, while the buff to 79 body damage in a vacuum would increase Felix effectiveness by maybe 5%. If you used the Felix pre and post nerf you know that it’s not a very big difference.

So you’re basically advocating nerfing the weaker sniper by roughly 75%. The auto Gib headshot suggestion wouldn’t remotely make up for it, and to the extent it did gib mechanics are not a good way generally to balance guns.

In any game that is at all competently designed, like this one, it’s a safe bet that when you think something should be radically changed / nerfed (by, say, 75%) it’s just because you don’t understand it well enough.

I agree on most points, however the Felix is just about “Good” My gripe is it should do more damage. MOA is still better on multiple fronts. The difference in damage is to small to justify using it unless you are Aimee and have no access to MOA. MOA is still higher DPS, but weaker bullet. Felix is barely higher in bullet damage.

I think you are downplaying the convenience of the full health auto gib though. In many cases, you cannot get a 2nd shot off for Felix, usually only playing high skilled players at medium range. Thunder is an issue. Fragger is despite having 140 hp. Rhino def can be.

With the Auto Gib felix at longer range. There will be no followup shots if you don’t miss the head, it can be pretty punishing for medics trying to revive. It also means thunder and Rhino cannot tank the head blast when in a healing station by aura. You also don’t have to waste a 2nd round in the mag to gib the player.

I will acknowledge that if you do miss the head, you will die due to the proposed fire rate nerf, but that will just encourage more use of the machine pistol anyways. It won’t be any more or less broken then javs rocket though…

You may be right on the fire nerf, at least try half the fire rate of MOA. Bonus critical hit should be way more devastating though i would say same for the body shot, but upping the body hit damage is a very slippery slope. Simply because body shots are easy.

My initial point here is to make it more distinguishable from MOA. For the extra recoil the shot brings, it should splatter ultra heavy mercs with 1 bullet to the head at full health.

(frostyvampire) #10

I’d rather have the MoA slightly better than the FEL-IX.
FEL-IX is still very viable. If what you suggest happens, it will become trash and Aimee will be useless

(GatoCommodore) #11

@frostyvampire said:
FEL-IX is still very viable. If what you suggest happens, it will become trash and Aimee will be useless

cut MOA magazine to 3-4 rounds because it fire faster and give aimee better debilitation multiplier.

(frostyvampire) #12

@GatoCommodore said:

@frostyvampire said:

cut MOA magazine to 3-4 rounds because it fire faster and give aimee better debilitation multiplier.

The FEL-IX will still become trash then.

The only buff I want for the FEL-IX is 170 damage on headshot so I can insta gib Aura and Sparks with it.
Your suggestion is a HUGE nerf to it, 79 damage is not enough to kill anyone and being only able to shoot once every 4-5 seconds will make it the worst weapon in the game

(GatoCommodore) #13

@frostyvampire said:

@GatoCommodore said:

@frostyvampire said:

The FEL-IX will still become trash then.

The only buff I want for the FEL-IX is 170 damage on headshot so I can insta gib Aura and Sparks with it.
Your suggestion is a HUGE nerf to it, 79 damage is not enough to kill anyone and being only able to shoot once every 4-5 seconds will make it the worst weapon in the game

i thought people agreed that instagibbing 80hp mercs are not okay?

(TheOfficialThug) #14

Insta-gibbing was a thing of the past, it shouldnt come back, why? when you get to know how to aim in DB its not too hard to get onto it and thats why it was changed, it was wayy too OP when a couple of good folk played Vass it would be incredibly annoying just popping around a corner and getting instagibbed for like 20 secs, and if you make it even slower to shoot its not fun for neither parties, the giver or the receiver when you cant be versitile with the sniper rifle it will get boring and when you have even smaller ability to defend yourself as a sniper in CQC