Ability Concept (not sure where else to put this btw)

(HadronZodiac) #1

CDA had a struggle reducing the radioactive materials that were affected by whatever caused the radiation in the first place (do the devs even state this?)

Name - Intelligent-Radiation-Emitting-Subsystem (RES)
Type - Deployable
Cooldown - 30
Retrieve Cooldown - 10
Hp - 50
Size - About 3/4 the size of auras station
Connects to - Walls
Emits light like proximity mine

Radiation does not hurt teammates

The ability emits a low dps aoe effect around an area, about the same size as guardians shield. The dps is about 11-12 (balance away if you wish)

Damage goes through walls, however -
The damage will decrease by ~25% per wall passed, encouraging smart placement.

Phantom takes only 33% damage from the radiation because his refractive suit also reflects a lot of the radiation

Ability can be disabled by emp of course

IMO this could help lockdown certain areas without making it impossible to still enter them. This also gives more opportunities for heavier mercs to shine as they can stay in longer. This also gives more reason to use phantom lol.

This is just a concept if it doesnt make it in idc

(Press E) #2

11-12 DPS is a lot though, even if it was reduced to 8 or whatever through walls. Hell, even standing within range of a heartbeat sensor is enough to make some people uneasy, so being able to actually damage people through walls with the same huge size as guardian’s dome is a bit much imo.
Also, heavier mercs already shine when pushing areas simply because they’re harder to shoot down. Lower HP mercs are already pretty hard to use beyond their one or two designated playstyles, so segregating them like that might not be a good idea.
DB isn’t really limited on ways to lock down areas either, so it’s debatable if we need another one. The snitch or even a molotov would work just as well.

I have had ideas for a radiation based merc for quite a while though, ever since I saw the CDA hazmat suit concept art. Expanding off your wall penetration idea, maybe turn it into a gun? They could be an unconventional recon merc with a radiation emitter gun that damages players within a short range through walls, as well as some sort of wall-penetrating spotting ability to help them see who’s over there.
The only issue I can think of is that it might be difficult to program, especially if SD wants to make plastic sheets and 2 foot thick concrete act differently.

The radiation in london was from the detonation of a dirty bomb btw. I don’t think they mention it directly, but it’s obvious from the name of the game lol

(Xerny) #3

It’s a pretty cool concept but there’s something that makes this ability a little… Illogical.

Although the ability to use Radiation Hazards sounds pretty cool there’s a twist, i don’t know if a device almost as tall as Aura’s health station can cause a lethal amount of radiation to harm a person.

From what i’ve read, 2,000,000 μSv (Sievets) are powerful enough to kill a person, although the ability concept is still pretty cool.

(Mc1412013) #4

@Xerny said:
It’s a pretty cool concept but there’s something that makes this ability a little… Illogical.

Although the ability to use Radiation Hazards sounds pretty cool there’s a twist, i don’t know if a device almost as tall as Aura’s health station can cause a lethal amount of radiation to harm a person.

From what i’ve read, 2,000,000 μSv (Sievets) are powerful enough to kill a person, although the ability concept is still pretty cool.

Does half of whats in db make sense. A moltove can take an ev out but a fricken rocket cant take out a gen

(Xerny) #5

@Mc1412013 said:

@Xerny said:

Does half of whats in db make sense. A moltove can take an ev out but a fricken rocket cant take out a gen

Crap, you’re right.

Forgot that games are more fun when all logic and reality is placed aside.

(HadronZodiac) #6

@Xerny said:

Lets just say the machine amplifies the radioactive waste left from the DB strike ;p

Plus to be fair, kiras designator is half the size of station yet can call down freakin orbital lasers XD