A New User's Initial Take on Rad Soldiers

(IamVoltron) #1

First all I just want to say your game is awesome. It runs smooth, looks great, and is incredibly addicting. Plus it’s right up my alley in terms of game-type. However, there are a few things worth tweaking that I would like to open to discussion here:

1. Going first seems to be a huge advantage, especially on the smaller Rio maps. I also feel like players are given incentive to choose specific maps instead of a random one since the likelihood of of going first is greater. Maybe a first turn energy boost/damage reduction buff for the the player who plays second? And maybe bonus rewards for playing random maps?

2. I don’t mind having to wait for other players, sometimes for a day or two, but running so many games over so long I find myself forgetting crucial details (i.e. there’s a mine here, stealthy was around here). Maybe let players set notes for themselves on tiles/soldiers or allow players to watch the last turn both players took.

3. Lastly, the chat system is slightly cumbersome. I can’t message my friends outside of games and can’t see existing chats without going to the end of the turn. I would like to see more flexibility here.

All in all I highly enjoy your game and look forward to future development of it, thank you for making it!

(tinker) #2

hey dude
welcome to the game
I’d like to comment little on your points here

going first does not give you that awesome advantage everyone is talking about.
especially on the smaller maps, I took advantage (going second) of that way of thinking . people go in like " I’m first, my win" and they seem to forget the total basics of the game. I won ~90% of these games, mainly in MY first turn. they placed soldiers like “win” and I was like “think again” . I killed 1-2 of their soldiers in my first turn.
probably it is like in chess , white player ALWAYS wins, if both sides play perfect, if white starts with the perfect move - but there IS NO PERFECT FIRST MOVE, only perfect responds.

that would be an awesome feature, but why not use what IS there already, comment on the foes turn with the information you need
like - 2 grenades and artillery and you did not kill him? - in short version
or make your own "code " like G-for grenade , A for artillery L for laser, P for gas grenade (poison) F for fire - molotov … and so on… - in public matches it does not matter that much, and tournament or ladder games … well, you never have like 10 of THESE games at once.

people somehow voted on the chat and this seems to be, what the majority wanted.
I think another system would be … you know … too much
but that’s just my opinion so far

with friendly regards
tinker