Why I think the new obsidians are a gut punch to supporters who bought the previous versions

(Bluesquid0630) #21

Then… Don’t buy them? It’s not worth it. The collectibility decreases with the fact that it’s bought and not earned. If anything I think there should be a way to earn obsidian cards in game. At the moment I feel like the only cards that have true value (to a collector) are founder cards, Alienware/Logitech cards, and any of the good gen 1 cards silver or higher

(Bluesquid0630) #22

I’m gonna add that this was something directly requested by the community. SD can’t pander to everyone’s wishes.

(B_Montiel) #23

@Nail said:
please get terminology correct, we have dedicated servers, the alternate is peer to peer.
What you mean is owned servers and we’ve been told that won’t happen

Please get terminology correct, he certainly means rentable servers :p.
Owned no, as they indeed said we would never have access to servers binaries. Rentable yes, with small amount of parameters accessible.

Didn’t have time to read every response in this thread so my bad if this has already been said. I disagree with the OP. I don’t think it’s a matter of SD intentionally choosing ‘more powerful’ cards now to render previous ones useless and milk in extra cash. Which, to me, isn’t even true because any loadout can be pretty viable and there have been plenty of strong Obsidians released in the past that I still use today. BL21 Fletcher is amazing. I use it far more than BL33/32 or A31 depending on the map, etc. There are only 9 loadouts to choose from each merc, and with G3 loadouts around the corner, of course you can expect them to want to pump out a few more while they can and it’s not like they’ve got a world of options to select from.

I won’t sit here and count 'em all up because it’d take too long, but I’d imagine some mercs only have 3 or 4 G2 loadouts they’d have left to select from anyway if you account for previous releases and ranked exclusive skins like the Fragger and Aura. Do you really think they deliberately sold ‘bad’ cards initially only to turn around and sell the super-duper OP ones at a later doubt? They’re giving people what they want and I’m sure they’ve got entire teams looking at the analytics of which loadouts are played the most. Sure, they profit because they should, but it’s also giving people what they want. Nobody forced you to buy the older ones and nobody is forcing you to now so I don’t understand how this is a big complaint. Lastly, we have Bronze loadouts so that of course shuts down any P2W money-grab implications. This would be like me complaining to my truck manufacturer because my 2-year-old model isn’t as good or popular as the one they just released.

(Nail) #25

@B_Montiel said:

@Nail said:
please get terminology correct, we have dedicated servers, the alternate is peer to peer.
What you mean is owned servers and we’ve been told that won’t happen

Please get terminology correct, he certainly means rentable servers :p.
Owned no, as they indeed said we would never have access to servers binaries. Rentable yes, with small amount of parameters accessible.

we have dedicated servers, that’s what he asked for and we’re getting rentable servers, they just aren’t what he wants

(Xenithos) #26

I just have to disagree with OP. Look, Splash Damage is moving in a hugely different direction with loadout cards, and I don’t think you should be angered by the choice as it’s a positive one for Dirty Bomb as a whole.

Also, your argument seriously paints SD as milking their community, when in fact it’s a great deal (the one on Steam). I think you’re going to be very pleased by the upcoming changes in the next month and a half. Sometimes we have to take a little bit of trash to move forward, and our past spending we see as our investment for ourselves, rather than one for a company.

(Jaso) #27

the bigger problem is not that SD trying to milking their community … its that they label almost everything as “limited” and after few months they re-release it

(Ptiloui) #28

@Moobabes said:
I was going to save my reply for the patch notes, but know that if you own the original Obsidian Operative Loadouts you WILL NOT need to buy them again.

SO, this correlate what @Xenithos talked about in his/her post before it slipped away and got closed. (http://forums.dirtybomb.com/discussion/38875/future-loadout-card-system-hinted-by-shoe)

And these are really great news !!

(Jaso) #29

@Moobabes said:
I was going to save my reply for the patch notes, but know that if you own the original Obsidian Operative Loadouts you WILL NOT need to buy them again.

ok but thats not gonna make u look cool in eyes of old players who already got em cause u lied, when u said first obsidian operative were “limited”

(rosully) #30

Notice how all the new obsidian operative loadouts are the same as the new default cards coming… Dunno what this means considering they said there is no need for 3rd gen cards hinting about some change to do with augments but too early to tell.

(Ptiloui) #31

@Jaso said:

@Moobabes said:

ok but thats not gonna make u look cool in eyes of old players who already got em cause u lied, when u said first obsidian operative were “limited”

Thing is, they are exclusive. The ones they’re releasing now aren’t the same loadout as before.

(Xenithos) #32

@Ptiloui said:

@Moobabes said:

SO, this correlate what @Xenithos talked about in his/her post before it slipped away and got closed. (http://forums.dirtybomb.com/discussion/38875/future-loadout-card-system-hinted-by-shoe)

And these are really great news !!

(IM SO HAPPY) HE’S SO FLUFFY I COULD DIE! - Despicable Me (Agnes), and Xenithos. 2010, 2018 respectively.

(Mc1412013) #33

Enless they change the mesh around its still same damn card just different loadouts that we will be modifying on our own at some point. So if they bring back founders cards and only change one augment are they still exclusive??? Maybe they should hqve said the load augments/guns was exclusive but the mesh change would be reused and wasnt exclusive

(arharr3) #34

@Moobabes said:

So the only difference between the new and old obsidians will be a different symbol on the card?

Wow, such exclusiveness. /s

(Ptiloui) #35

@arharr3 said:

@Moobabes said:

So the only difference between the new and old obsidians will be a different symbol on the card?

Wow, such exclusiveness. /s

Maybe because you’ll be able to use your prime obsidian card with any loadout you want ? Hence being useless to buy new obsidian because skins are the exact same.

(Meerkats) #36

@Ptiloui said:
Thing is, they are exclusive. The ones they’re releasing now aren’t the same loadout as before.
You can buy any loadout you want in bronze, so it’s safe to say nobody bought the obsidian for the loadout; they bought the obsidian based on the promise of an exclusive skin. Therefore, if they are releasing the exact same skin, even if it is on a different loadout, they are reneging on their promise.

The way I see it is this debacle should never have occurred in the first place. If Splash Damage was planning on releasing a whole bunch of unique skins ( obsidians, Kirin Guardian, Ghost Javelin ), they should’ve just opened an in-game store and made the skin available there year round or seasonally or whatev… you know, like in every other game. Instead, they insisted on this shady ass bullshit where everything sold has to be “limited edition,” probably so they could artificially inflate the price cause they can’t into being decent human beings.

But since they have promised exclusivity, even if it is anti-consumer bullshit, they should respect the players who they assfucked and maintain exclusivity.

I really, really want obsidian KPop Arty, but I was taking a break from Dirty Bomb when it was sold, so I don’t have it. Do you hear me bitching about how it should be sold again? Nope, cause I can respect selling it again would be extremely shitty to the people who bought it, and I’d rather Splash Damage have some fucking integrity.

Why should you trust a company that can’t even maintain the easiest possible commitment to maintain to the people who trusted them the most? You shouldn’t.

(Nail) #37

exclusivity has been maintained so far, unsure why people assume this will change

(Ptiloui) #38

@Meerkats said:
I really, really want obsidian KPop Arty, but I was taking a break from Dirty Bomb when it was sold, so I don’t have it. Do you hear me bitching about how it should be sold again? Nope, cause I can respect selling it again would be extremely @$!# to the people who bought it, and I’d rather Splash Damage have some @$!# integrity.

Hey, we are the same here :smiley: The only obsidians i have are the proxy one during the ReV event and the Phoenix one we got if we bought him before i can’t recall which update.

@Meerkats said:
The way I see it is this debacle should never have occurred in the first place. If Splash Damage was planning on releasing a whole bunch of unique skins ( obsidians, Kirin Guardian, Ghost Javelin ), they should’ve just opened an in-game store and made the skin available there year round or seasonally or whatev… you know, like in every other game. Instead, they insisted on this shady ass bullshit where everything sold has to be “limited edition,” probably so they could artificially inflate the price cause they can’t into being decent human beings.

I can’t agree more on this. If it was just for me, skins and loadout would be separated for a long time, only because it is way easier for them to make money on skins, every players being able to buy them whenever they can. But hey, it’s SD. After 2-3 years of playing DB, im just bored of their wierd decisions and don’t bother tha much about this game. I play when i want it to, and get what i can, nothing more.

But on the other hand, crying about that is pretty selfish. I thought people bought those obsidian cards because they liked them and wanted to support the game, not because they wanted to show off and feel “superior” towards new players. But they still will be able to this because 1/ loadout are not the same, 2/ icon is not the same. Think of it as if they are 2nd gen obsidian cards :wink:

(Trestos) #39

@Jaso said:

@Moobabes said:

I don’t want to be an ass but didn’t they said with his earlier post we get them for free if we already bought them? Didn’t got any of the “new” Stoker, Arty or Fletcher loadouts and i bought them in the bundle

(JonBongNoJovi) #40

So why is there no Bushwhacker Obsidian ? Also whats the justification for the prices ? Seams liek pure greed in my eyes.