[video]ET hitsound with XT

(Kl3ppy) #41

I think that hitsounds would be a great income source. I mean, they dont give an advantage. Maybe create some sort of sound test so you can hear them before buying. But make sure that the original Hit sounds are good enough and useable.

(chippy) #42

Something like this ingame would be pretty boss: http://tf2dingalings.com/sounds

(Dragonji) #43

I don’t understand. When a guy proposed selling crosshair packs there was so big protest on this forum. Now I saw like 2 or 3 people suggesting hitsound packs? To me both things are similar in affecting actual gameplay though the community around here reacted completely opposite way in both situations.

(Rex) #44

I’m also against selling sound packs.

(Billy_Hologram) #45

Only just had time to catch up with this thread, I wish I could share the audio schedule for the next few months with you all! But I can’t in case our focus changes we wouldn’t want to promise anything to far in advance.

What i can say is that hit sounds are a huge deal for everyone at SD and we will have the option to use modern hit impacts and retro beeps ‘out of the box’ and both will have plenty of care and attention.

The retro ones can’t be those exact sounds as pointed out, but they will be designed with that aesthetic in mind so you get that ‘classic feeling’ as you slaughter your opponents.

A lot of work has already been done on the modern ones, the audio has been made, but there are a couple of things to iron out which are preventing it from sounding as designed. This modern impacts use a system that helps you to understand how much damage you’re putting out by mixing more or less layers of bone crunch, flesh rip and gore sounds.

So a hit with a low power weapon has a smaller impact sound than say a sniper rifle. The modern hits also differentiate headshots with an uber impact.

These issues will be fixed soon, it all has to be prioritised against many other things related to making the core game as fun as possible.

Also, i’d love to get to the point where people can mod their own sounds in, I can’t promise that will happen but it would be great. Our priority is getting the game sounding awesome as soon as possible, and so for now we are aiming for just an option of modern and retro hit beeps.

(Ashog) #46

I don’t have problems with current hitsounds as such, although ET sounds are surely even more vocal. But out of place, yeah.

The only issue with hitsounds in Xt was the sound of headshots which at least some time ago were sounding doubled. I don’t know how it is now, but I could definitely hear 2 headhots quickly one after another on Waterloo in front of the 1st gate, when making exactly one headshot. I haven’t tested this in other areas back then, but I really hope this wasn’t the echoing of the headshots. Bodyshots were not doubled tho.

If someone tests this and notices this nowadays, let know here.

(Billy_Hologram) #47

Yea there were all manor of issues which we’ve been resolving one by one, i think what you’re describing was some confusion between the impact sounds as a shooter and the impact sounds as a victim, plus the ones as an observer! That’s resolved but i’d love to hear if people are having similar issues.

(spookify) #48

On this exact topic one of my friends refuses to play because on Hit Impact Sounds. He says if he wanted Hit Sounds he would turn it on… Just something to keep in mind that even Impact sounds might need to be toggled on and off.

FYI, I do agree I dont want to hear a faint impact body sound when I know Hit-sounds are Off… It almost makes the mind work harder because it knows there is a sound there. Half you mind wants to ignore it while the other picks it up. It gives you very bad headaches when you are trying to concentrate so hard.

(Hundopercent) #49

Because crosshairs provide an advantage where hitsounds will not.

Imagine the default crosshair being a square outline and the xhair pack having a dot and + reticle.

SD ideally should copy/paste BLRs xhair creator and make minor improvements to it. Its really solid for those who have used it.

(Nail) #50

but crosshairs can affect gameplay, a mil dot can allow easy drop off calculation, but hitsounds, meh, no advantage as default ones will be usable

(Mustang) #51

Can you share when the volume cvars for hitsound, footsteps, music, ambient, effects, etc. are currently scheduled for?

Yes please.

When and how was it resolved?

(Anti) #52

[QUOTE=Mustang;486677]
When and how was it resolved?[/QUOTE]

I don’t believe that fix has reached you folk yet, maybe made it into the upcoming patch.

(spookify) #53

Bring on the Next Patch!!! :slight_smile:

(shaftz0r) #54

seriously though

(Billy_Hologram) #55

Dialogue is being worked on at the moment, it’s a large task involving many people in and outside of the studio but is the number one priority for audio at the moment, particularly the Commander providing objective info.

Hit sounds are also very high priority.

Of course footsteps are important along with other things in your list but i can’t share the schedule for obvious reasons.

The fix for hit sounds (work on which is ongoing as mentioned) involved stopping local hit sounds play under certain situations when you hit someone else, there were other smaller issues but this was the major one. We did this by gutting the old system and building a new one which allows much more control over what is triggered.

(tokamak) #56

Collectible voice-packs plx. Main source of income for Hi-Rez studios. Everyone wants to have their own unique distinctive voice.

(Mustang) #57

[QUOTE=Billy_Hologram;486763]Dialogue is being worked on at the moment, it’s a large task involving many people in and outside of the studio but is the number one priority for audio at the moment, particularly the Commander providing objective info.

Hit sounds are also very high priority.

Of course footsteps are important along with other things in your list but i can’t share the schedule for obvious reasons.[/QUOTE]
All very interesting (genuinely interesting, no sarcasm intended) but I think you missed the key words “volume cvars for”, I’m asking about when we’ll be able to to individually control the volume levels for each of the aforementioned sounds, which was mentioned as a future feature quite some time ago now.

Nice, looking forward to seeing if this has improved things when it lands for us.

[hr][/hr]
One thing that is quite important to players and has been mentioned on and off that it could do with some love (i.e. other games do it better) is positional audio (e.g. you can tell from the sound that the guy is around the corner, through the wall, above and slightly to the left, etc.) is this something that’s in the schedule?

(Sorry for the thread-jacking, but Billy only appears in brief encounters so I try to gleam all his knowledges)

(Anti) #58

[QUOTE=Mustang;486766]All very interesting (genuinely interesting, no sarcasm intended) but I think you missed the key words “volume cvars for”, I’m asking about when we’ll be able to to individually control the volume levels for each of the aforementioned sounds, which was mentioned as a future feature quite some time ago now.
[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link to that? That’s an incredibly specific feature that I’ve not see other games do before (beyond values for 4-5 sound groups), I’d be very surprised if we committed to that as a feature.

(Billy_Hologram) #59

I’ve mentioned wanting to provide audio options for groups of sounds, so that people can have footsteps and other groups of sounds as loud (or quiet) as they like, that sort of thing. It’s pretty far down the list although it’s definitely not forgotten, the other things i mentioned are much higher priority.

We need to get the game playing and sounding awesome first, and then look at opening up those controls.

(prophett) #60

Bring on the Next Patch!!! :