V1Rocket Beta2 Release

(SiliconSlick) #21

Here is my script’s report:

----- PK3 - v1rocket_b2.pk3 -----

v1rocket_b2.pk3 - *** Warning: Missing maps/v1rocket_b2_lms.script - LMS Mode Script ***
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - *** Warning: Missing maps/v1rocket_b2_lms.objdata - LMS Mode Objectives Listing ***
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - *** Warning: Missing scripts/v1rocket_b2.shader - Shader File ***
TEST** scripts/v1rocket_b2.arena does not support wolflms
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - Minor note: ignoring README file “v1rocket_b2_readme.txt”
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - ** Legacy warning: the name maps/v1rocket_b2.OBJDATA contains uppercase letters which should be avoided **
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - Minor note: textures/metal_misc/metal_m06.tga is textures/metal_misc/metal_m06.jpg in pak0.pk3
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - ** Image Warning: UNABLE TO LOCATE textures/sd_bumpmaps/normalmap_terrain.tga IN scripts/v1rocket.shader **
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - ** Image Warning: UNABLE TO LOCATE textures/sfx/fog_grey1.tga IN scripts/v1rocket.shader **
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - ** Image Warning: UNABLE TO LOCATE textures/skies/sky_6.tga IN scripts/v1rocket.shader **
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - ** Legacy warning: texture textures/snow_sd/s_grass_ml03b_big.jpg in scripts/v1rocket.shader should use .tga extension (even if .jpg file) **
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - Minor note: textures/v1rocket/ff_fadesnow1.tga is textures/v1rocket/ff_fadesnow1.jpg in v1rocket_b2.pk3
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - Minor note: textures/v1rocket/ff_fadesnow2.tga is textures/v1rocket/ff_fadesnow2.jpg in v1rocket_b2.pk3
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - Minor note: textures/v1rocket/ff_ocean.tga is textures/v1rocket/ff_ocean.jpg in v1rocket_b2.pk3
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - ** Legacy warning: texture textures/v1rocket/ff_riverbed.jpg in scripts/v1rocket.shader should use .tga extension (even if .jpg file) **
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - **** MAJOR Warning: SHADER scripts/v1rocket.shader REFERENCES NON-EXISTENT IMAGES (see above) ****
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - *** Shader Warning: Could not locate shader textures/mp_railgun/cable" referenced in maps/v1rocket_b2.bsp ***
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - *** Shader Warning: Could not locate shader textures/v1rocket/rocketfog" referenced in maps/v1rocket_b2.bsp ***
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - *** Model Warning: Could not locate model models/mapobjects/barrel_sd/barrel_side referenced in maps/v1rocket_b2.bsp ***
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - *** Model Warning: Could not locate model models/mapobjects/barrel_sd/barrel_top referenced in maps/v1rocket_b2.bsp ***
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - *** Model Warning: Could not locate model models/mapobjects/logs_sd/snow referenced in maps/v1rocket_b2.bsp ***
v1rocket_b2.pk3 - SUMMARY: 1 Major warnings 3 Warnings 2 Shader warnings 3 Model warnings 3 Image warnings 3 Legacy warnings 5 Minor notes

but that doesn’t do it justice.

WWWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I just ran around it a couple of times and must say… very nice!

It is currently part of the rotation at:

07.44.246.63:27963 0/30 v1rocket_b2 0 / 0 shrubet [ND80]Test Maps

(along with darji2, festung and steelplant2).

SiliconSlick

(deej) #22

I gotta stop hosting these wonderful maps :-). Know why? I generated 21 GB downloads in one week :eek3: since we announced this map…

But still FireFly big thumbs up! Great map! No bugs found yet.

(FireFly) #23

Well, I’ve played the map allot of times on different servers these past days…Most of the time just being spectator.

I was surprised to see that the allies didn’t seem to have any major problems getting the tank towards the depotyard (Building the bridge, blowing the main door). But they DO have a hard time stealing the fuel and secure it at the rocket. (like neotic already mentioned)

One of the main reasons (I think) for this is a major bug in the map. It seems that Axis can climb on top of the building were the objective is (see screens below). This is a huge advantage for Axis, 'cuz all they need is a few panzers to stop the allies.

I also noticed players getting on top of a few other buildings they are not supposed to reach and found some other smaller bugs. Needles to say that This will all be fixed in the next (Final) version…

Most people loved the map and had a lot of fun playing it. However, some people thought the map was too big ( ''Jeez, How big is this map?" ).

Tomorrow i’m leaving for a 2 week vacation in Spain, when I get back I’ll start working on the final version, hopefully I can release it somewhere around half of june…

Thanks for all the feedback, and thanks to all admin. hosting the map on their server…

(neotic) #24

Where at in Spain? Granada and Costa del Sol were my favorite places…

(Shazam) #25

Yep Firefly !

Your mission is a succes : your map seems like a SD’ map :wink: Great shot.

I tryed this map on my serveur with 5 players.
There are 2 notes :

• We finded respawns are too easy for Axe (ex: respawn axe above the maingate)

• map is too big for play 6 vs 6 (however at the end, between the V1 and the fuel) :frowning:
    Can you do a version for 12-16 players ?!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a feedback more detailed but in french in : http://www.yepteam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The map is in test on your serveur Ouichbase (host in france) : 195.80.156.21:27963

(Chruker) #26

I thought I finally had to take a look at this map.

I have played it a number of times at the ChiGC server. And the outcome of many of those matches were a fight for the fuelcan. However in one match it took a long time before the main gate was blown.

A comment to the thread so far: I’ve looked at the place where the rocket turns black for a second. And it does sound strange. However the player models doesn’t turn black at that spot, so its not entirely the same as what Hummer experienced in the other thread.

Anyway here are some screenshots of stuff I’ve noticed:

The clipping on most of the map allow spectators to fly up so high that they can see beyond the borders of the map. I think perhaps you should lower the clipping so that the spectators can only fly as high as the lowest point in the surrounding hills/buildings.

That could also be used to avoid people jumping on to the bulding roofs.

This is the truck thats parked in the tunnel by the top-left axis spawn. One part of the truck is solid for spectators, while the engine area isn’t. I know script_movers aren’t solid for spectators, but since this one doesn’t move…

I’m please to see that somebody finally has assembled the trucks correctly. Usually the back wheels are used both front and back, and in the worst cases the back wheels are used in front and the front wheels are used in the back.

That one made me laugh. Somebody buried a tire in the ground :slight_smile:

Here I can’t fly directly to the allied spawn. The hill is for some reason blocking my flightpath.

Same places as above, just a bit higher up and turned a bit to the left. Again this can be solved with making a ceiling clip.

This is the money shot for me. I just love those iceflakes (my dictionary says they are floes, but…).

There is some weirdness here. Sort of like z-fighting but not. You have to see it in game instead.

When I thow snow in water it usually dissolve.

This isn’t the only place where the tracks decals is messed up. Ie. it suddenly goes from the faint to the regular. This one is triggy since you probably have to decals on top of each other. BTW its at the entrance to the fuelcan facility.

Another one. I’m standing with my back towards rocket launcher.

A couple of times when I played the map, an axis soldier was hiding inside these large tanks. In regular ET you can get to float in mid-air like this. And on servers using the shrubet mod you can jump towards the tank, play dead while in the air, with the result that you can walk around inside the tank.

Another one of the decals, this time at the Lorraines starting point. Those I’ve shown here are the majority, but I think you should go through all the tracks and check them out.

Just inside the tunnel, the Lorraine dips into the ground.

And yes these wheels were too spinning as the rocket was on the move.

(FireFly) #27

Where at in Spain? Granada and Costa del Sol were my favorite places…

Well, I got back a few days ago. We went to the Costa Brava, near Gerona. I also took allot of pictures of small, old villages / churches. I’ll use some of them as a reference for my next map.

We finded respawns are too easy for Axe (ex: respawn axe above the maingate)

Yes, That was my main concern when releasing the beta2. One of the allies main objectives lies just beneath the axis spawn. (the main door).

But I guess you can somewhat compare it with the SD map ‘goldrush’. Where you have a tankbarrier just before the courtyard of the bank, very close to the axis respawn. The only difference is that the tankbarrier can be reconstructed after it has been destroyed, while the maindoor in v1rocket can not. I have thought about moving the axis spawn away from the maindoor, like for example, make them spawn in the tunnels.

The problem with this is once the axis reach the outside area (above the maindoor), they are very vulnerable for allied mortar and artillery in spawnkilling, so I’m afraid moving the axis spawn is not an option for me… Instead I have (for the final version) created a secondary route for the the allies towards the maindoor. So instead of constructing the bridge first and then make a run for the maindoor they can now also reach it from the ice below.

map is too big for play 6 vs 6 (however at the end, between the V1 and the fuel)

I have to agree that the map is big, very big, but it was designed to be played on pubs, I’m afraid it’s just way to big for a ‘‘standard’’ clan map.

n you do a version for 12-16 players ?!!

lol, I’ve been working on this map for almost 10 months and really like to do something else. after I’ve released the final version I can finally work on my next map called ‘tramfight’ . Which will be allot smaller than v1rocket, and much more suitable for clanplay.

A comment to the thread so far: I’ve looked at the place where the rocket turns black for a second. And it does sound strange. However the player models doesn’t turn black at that spot, so its not entirely the same as what Hummer experienced in the other thread.

You might be right, Yesterday I decreased the gridsize from 192 192 256 to 128 128 64 and compiled the map, but it didn’t make any difference. The rocket still turns black for a second or two. Might have something to do with the lightgrid brush I have covering the map, but i’m only guessing here. I still need to do some further testing…

The clipping on most of the map allow spectators to fly up so high that they can see beyond the borders of the map. I think perhaps you should lower the clipping so that the spectators can only fly as high as the lowest point in the surrounding hills/buildings.

That could also be used to avoid people jumping on to the bulding roofs.

I agree. The clipping I did really sucked. While playing the map on different servers I also saw players getting ‘launched’ or blown away by airstrikes and landed on places a medic can not reach. In the final version all building roofs and mountains will be fully clipped, I will also lower the clipping for the spectators.

This is the truck thats parked in the tunnel by the top-left axis spawn. One part of the truck is solid for spectators, while the engine area isn’t. I know script_movers aren’t solid for spectators, but since this one doesn’t move…

I had allot of problems with the use of misc_gamemodels in my map. Most of them did not show up after a compile of the map. But it seems that other mappers had the same problems. I know by reading through the forums that it can be solved by including the model in your pk3 file, But that would also increase the size of the pk3. So what I did was turn all the misc_gamemodels in my map into script_movers. ( if you look at the v1rocket_b2.script file at the very bottom you will find some of them like: truckdummy, tire_dummy etc) so that is why you can go through them in spectator mode…

That one made me laugh. Somebody buried a tire in the ground

Yep, and you guessed it; it’s a script_mover :smiley:

Here I can’t fly directly to the allied spawn. The hill is for some reason blocking my flightpath.

The hill is clipped to prevent people from climbing on top of it.

There is some weirdness here. Sort of like z-fighting but not. You have to see it in game instead.

Yes, I am aware of this problem and have spent quite some time trying to solve it before I released the v1rocket_b2 map.I think the problem is that both the water and the ice are somewhat transparent what is causing this effect…

When I thow snow in water it usually dissolve.

Yes, this happens on both sides of the building. I’ll have to adjust the alphamap.

This isn’t the only place where the tracks decals is messed up. Ie. it suddenly goes from the faint to the regular. This one is triggy since you probably have to decals on top of each other

I noticed this too, but I do not have two decals on top of eachother. Some of the tracks are patches on top of the terrain and some are just plain old brushwork. But I saw that it is happening on both the patches as on the brushes. It also seems to appear on random places so i’m going to have a look at it, trying to solve it.

A couple of times when I played the map, an axis soldier was hiding inside these large tanks. In regular ET you can get to float in mid-air like this. And on servers using the shrubet mod you can jump towards the tank, play dead while in the air, with the result that you can walk around inside the tank.

lol, I didn’t know about this ‘cool’ feature in my map. :stuck_out_tongue: I will move the tanks a bit further apart form each other and clip them.

Just inside the tunnel, the Lorraine dips into the ground…
…And yes these wheels were too spinning as the rocket was on the move.

Both have been fixed.

Thanks for the all the comments and the screenshots Chruker.

I also like to note that a few days ago I played the map several times on some of the ‘bigger’ servers (50 people) and each time the allies got spawnkilled. At the moment they walked out of their spawn they got killed by artillery or mortars.They didn’t even had a change getting the tank towards the bridge. Because this happened several times I have created an extra path for the allies. (A tunnel leading from allied spawn towards the ice). I hope it will solve the spawnkilling problem a bit. (see screenshot below)

I have made a list of things to fix (38 in total) and I’m still planning to release the final version in a week or two (depending on the free time I have).

(Chruker) #28

I’m looking forward to play this map. But please don’t rush out a final version.

Make another beta when these changes are done. Then give it a couple of weeks to generate feedback, while you continue to work on your new map.

(Schaffer) #29

Hey FireFly, I like the tunnel idea :skull: :moo:

(FireFly) #30

Don’t worry about that Chruker, I’ve spent so much of my free time already on this map so I’ll definitely will not rush out the final version. Like I said before there are currently 38 ‘bugs’ in the map I need to fix, I know that sounds like an awful lot, but most of them will only take a few minutes to fix ( scripting errors).

About releasing another Beta;

From the very start I decided to release only one public beta. I just didn’t want to have too many different betas of v1rocket circulating on the servers. Reason is that IMHO some players don’t really no the difference between an Alpha, beta or final version. So someone playing the map would say something like :’'wow, this map sucks, it’s full of bugs, not balanced etc…" not knowing it was a beta containing bugs…

Don’t get me wrong, I know that most players realize when it says on the loading screen ‘v1rocket beta2 release’ they are playing a map that might be filled with designer flaws and bugs, But still some just don’t get it.

So I kept all of the alpha versions to myself, Gave the private beta1 version to schaffer and erwin ( for the bugs) and released a public beta2 version (for testing gameplay). So basically that is the reason why I will not release another public beta.

However I don’t have any problems releasing a private beta3 version of the map. Or , in other words, show the final version to a few people before it goes final. :wink:

Hey FireFly, I like the tunnel idea

Well, My father once said that if someone gives you some good advice you’d be stupid to ignore it.

I must admit I was abit worried when you suggested a tunnel ,from allied spawn leading towards the ice to prevent the allies from being spawnkilled, because r_speeds are pretty high around the allied spawnpoint. But guess what: It seems the caulk-hull covering the tunnel is creating some extra portals resulting into lower r_speeds in that area… guess my dad was right after all! :smiley:

(CrazedFan) #31

One statement can summerize all your hard work. “GREAT JOB”. If you continue I am sure you’ll no doubt obtain recognition and contribute tremendous value to our community.

Keep it up!