Still tired of the phantom exploit

(henki000) #21

@376E1AE459B1

I went to Chicago server with ~130ping. Played phantom with three 1-6 levels while I’m at level 77. Tried my best with phantom and got rekt. There was few times I could kill those two alone, but at the end of three rounds, there was no advantage with high ping. I’m not warping in their pov. Just slow and not dodging correctly. No way I could kill anyone in 5 meter distance or dance around enemy. It didnt register my headshots, so they just dropped aura station and fired away with their shotguns.

Cant see any advantage in close combat with high ping.

(Szakalot) #22

OP has a point but its not about katana; thats pretty bad, you can hear phantom from miles away, he can get a long-distance-lag hit but will never get a second swing in before the server decides that they are dead.

Real phantom high ping menace, just like high ping sniping comes from the burst DPS.

As high ping phantom you can cloak and ambush an opponent with 3+ headshots before they can even know they are being shot at; at which point a few more bullets and they are down. Hide,
cloak, repeat

(Free2Buy) #23

The only thing I’m going to add to this is lag switching was an old school console thing. Not a PC thing.

(Xenithos) #24

@Free2Buy said:
The only thing I’m going to add to this is lag switching was an old school console thing. Not a PC thing.

Wow… how wrong this statement is. Maybe physical switch is older, but lag switching is still very real and we have software that makes it easy. IT Technician with several certifications speaking here.

(RectalTerror) #25

@henki000 said:
@376E1AE459B1

I went to Chicago server with ~130ping. Played phantom with three 1-6 levels while I’m at level 77. Tried my best with phantom and got rekt. There was few times I could kill those two alone, but at the end of three rounds, there was no advantage with high ping. I’m not warping in their pov. Just slow and not dodging correctly. No way I could kill anyone in 5 meter distance or dance around enemy. It didnt register my headshots, so they just dropped aura station and fired away with their shotguns.

Headshots… with a katana… right.

(henki000) #26

@376E1AE459B1
Didnt say I did headshots with katana, since it will do same damage to each body part. Playing your best with phantom rarely mean using Katana. If you see warping people, it probably dont have anything to do with ping. Ping will just calculate time to deliver data to server and back. But I bet you already knew that.

(phobiatic) #27

If you get a kill or be killed is not done by any client. It is done by the server. Both clients send their data to the server and than the server decide who lives or dies on those data.

I do agree that melee focus mercs have a higher advantage with higher ping. Since you wont see him where he actually is because of the package delay and you most likely are to die because you get hit later. But claiming that people with high ping do it on purpose is a step too far.

(Rokon2) #28

Someone explain to me what the Phantom exploit is please?

(pumpkinmeerkat) #29

@Rokon2 said:

the exploit is a lie

(Xenithos) #30

@Rokon2 said:

The original poster believes that the Phantoms he’s running into are using lag switching or forcing the server to have them on a high ping.
The truth is they aren’t or are highly likely not to be, and that his “exploit” is actually just cake from Portal as Pumpkinmeerkat has already said.

(RectalTerror) #31

@henki000 said:
@376E1AE459B1
Didnt say I did headshots with katana, since it will do same damage to each body part.
Playing your best with phantom rarely mean using Katana.

My post is only about the katana. Phantom with a gun isn’t a threat (at all).

(Rokon2) #32

Oh, well damn. Thought there was something I had to be wary of

(RectalTerror) #33

I seriously hope we didn’t get the full story about the Phantom buff.

You can make it fully invisible for an infinite time if you want, as long as you fix the katana.
Otherwise… great, you’re just buffing the most OP merc, and we’re gonna see chinese & russians invading european servers to slay everyone with their 200+ pings. Great.

(B_Montiel) #34

Right now, with the server conditions we have at this moment, animations are totally off compared to what the sending client is doing and what you’re going to get out of it. But it is not only a phantom issue, every single weapon draw is impacted.

Of course, melee are the most annoyance.

Today, I’ve noticed couple of way delayed situations, including couple of one where the melee weapon was not showing on my screen, or not in a melee hit animation. I’ve also been killed by someone using medpacks, if I refer to what was actually showing on my screen (he was holding medpacks, switched to crotzni and killed me, but anims where couple of 0.x s delayed).

And so far it not only applies to high pingers. That’s missing info.

(D'@athi) #35

Yes, servers are fucked-up, gotten even worse lately, guess we are able to guess why (meltdown, virtual-machines, network-io-calls… probably).
Still, as an example, we also had tons of warping/packetlossing eastern-europeans with ping <60 ms on the frankfurt-servers (probably inet and the paygap are the last remnants of the iron curtain) before, so you may guess what a phantom, or worse, a kiratana, is doing then…
But as highpinging gamers are most phrone to packetloss, as single-cables tend to priotize anything but game-traffic, most probably even netflix has a higher priority than game-traffic, if they haven’t got proxies chaching your stuff in-between.
So getting rid of highpingers would be a first logical step. Especially as they are kinda bad for the “perfect” UE3’s netengine.
BTW: I really don’t see the logic on wanting to play a faced-paced-shooter, while having a quarter of a second of ping, but here we are every day, every week, every month.

(Chris Mullins) #36

The main problem experienced here is perception. As Phantom is so close to you when he attacks, any negative feelings towards lag or reg are magnified. We know this area could be improved in general and we’re looking to address this is a couple of ways:

1. Tweaking a few netcode bits to improve hitreg
  2. Server selection based on ping

As this is quite a niche issue we’re hoping that the above two actions should generally improve this. If more people find it a problem (as at the moment it only seems to be a couple of players) we’ll re-evaluate.

(K1X455) #37

@Deathi said:
Yes, servers are @$!#-up, gotten even worse lately, guess we are able to guess why (meltdown, virtual-machines, network-io-calls… probably).
Still, as an example, we also had tons of warping/packetlossing eastern-europeans with ping <60 ms on the frankfurt-servers (probably inet and the paygap are the last remnants of the iron curtain) before, so you may guess what a phantom, or worse, a kiratana, is doing then…
But as highpinging gamers are most phrone to packetloss, as single-cables tend to priotize anything but game-traffic, most probably even netflix has a higher priority than game-traffic, if they haven’t got proxies chaching your stuff in-between.
So getting rid of highpingers would be a first logical step. Especially as they are kinda bad for the “perfect” UE3’s netengine.
BTW: I really don’t see the logic on wanting to play a faced-paced-shooter, while having a quarter of a second of ping, but here we are every day, every week, every month.

I’ll see if I can post the latest Ranked match I play at EU West so I can make my point about latency and netcode in DB. It’s really not how high your ping is (to a certain extent), but actually, how stable you receive data from the server. If you have unstable latency, then your movement becomes choppy and you “teleport” from point to point. That’s one of the reasons why I made this poll.

Just recently, I’ve seen a 368ms ping player from EU East duke it out in AUS 7v7 Stopwatch server and he was doing alright (actually, he’s pretty good), until he started having increasing latencies (368ms up to 988ms) which caused him to lose connection.

Pretty brave of him to go up against sub 60ms ping players.

(B_Montiel) #38

@K1X455 said:

@Deathi said:
Yes, servers are @$!#-up, gotten even worse lately, guess we are able to guess why (meltdown, virtual-machines, network-io-calls… probably).

I’ll see if I can post the latest Ranked match I play at EU West so I can make my point about latency and netcode in DB. It’s really not how high your ping is (to a certain extent), but actually, how stable you receive data from the server. If you have unstable latency, then your movement becomes choppy and you “teleport” from point to point. That’s one of the reasons why I made this poll.

Just recently, I’ve seen a 368ms ping player from EU East duke it out in AUS 7v7 Stopwatch server and he was doing alright (actually, he’s pretty good), until he started having increasing latencies (368ms up to 988ms) which caused him to lose connection.

Pretty brave of him to go up against sub 60ms ping players.

Yes, stability is the most important factor here. But on the other hand, in pure terms of action consistency, high ping will always provide its lots of issues. Strangely with UE3, position seems to be prioritized over any other action, such as weapon switches and firing.

And that’s an issue I’ve always encountered with that engine, having played many hours on tribes ascend and chivalry medieval warfare 3-4 years ago. Having monitored and optimised a chivalry server for more than 2 years, I witnessed many occasion that very same issue : high ping, moving pretty nicely, without teleporting, is generally a proper mess when we talk proper action distribution, especially when in combat, where you send the biggest amount of inputs to the server. Which was a far worse threat in chivalry than here in dirty bomb. You couldn’t afford to have an archer parrying a sword hit with his bow.

UE3, with bad refresh rate is quite good coping with high ping, at the cost of action consistency. It seems to average positioning quite well and do not generate many hiccups if set so.
UE3, with high refresh rate, is quite bad coping with high ping, but is very accurate on the action side of things.
UE3 servers hate high pingers, somehow adapt to them, and worsen the situation to everyone else. Situation I still encounter here in DB. A server half filled with 150 ms ping players will definitely turn crap even for 20 ms players. As a side-note, he’ll eventually crash at some point. Usual symptoms : refresh rate going down, teleports and rollbacks start to happen for everyone, then crash.

At some point, in chivalry, we managed to get a super accurate experience tweaking server refresh rates and few other things, to the extent that playing on our server was literally impossible above 120ms ping. Thus the ping limit kick. Getting that from the closest server location should be mandatory no matter what.

Here is some reason why I’m still waiting for proper improvements.

And don’t minimize the importance of such thing : Many of my hardcore gaming friends who tried DB had one or two complains about server conditions. And keep in mind, those issues can be BLATANT when players came from games where servers are actually tuned up and not just simply turned on.

(RectalTerror) #39

I think you’ve actually found a working solution, because I have less problem with phantoms now, yet I’m not sure it’s really better.

Phantoms are way better cloaked now, so I still get instakilled by them, BUT the big difference now is that I generally didn’t see them coming. That means less frustration, because seeing a Phantom come from far & not being able to escape him because of lag, that was really a problem. Now that changed to “fuck it, I wouldn’t have seen him coming anyway”.

But is that really better? I still get instaslashed (I don’t even know if he can instakill all mercs, but I’m generally Aura or Proxy, so anything instakills me) quite often (maybe less now), and yes, it’s indeed only my perception that changed.
Now Phantoms kill me pretty much the same way as snipers, I get instakilled, but I didn’t know he was there, just like I didn’t know there was a sniper there, so there was nothing I could have tried. Still, I HATE SNIPERS TOO, so…
It’s not even that I dislike the concept of spies, I LOVED them in Enemy Territory, and even Quake Wars. But that was very different, they were players that looked like you, it’s by how they acted (& their names) that you’d spot them.
The most ironic is that we kinda do have this, in DB, and it’s called cobalt skins. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I was a noob & was getting killed by players that looked just like teammates. And when I got my first cobalt skins, well it worked! I was litterally planting at the nose of other noobs, they weren’t shooting me.