Space between clantag and playername

(zenstar) #21

[QUOTE=murka;412869]I just did look at the trends in etqw before posting and found that the average was about 6 chars. Some were even 14 chars long and only 1 short tag that i spotted was 2 chars. The next shortest was 5.
[/QUOTE]
With the average being 6 surely that points towards a max of 6-8 being a good maximum? Also not sure about how you’re getting these averages, esp now since the etqw community is a shadow of what it was when it was popular.

I don’t know about the current/popular games and in fact i care nothing about them,

Ah yes. Let’s not make this a popular game! Let’s not learn from games that actually make a lot of money.

but most pro clans in the PC scene use as much chars as possible. This includes the occasional sponsors.

A - you provide only anecdotal evidence here about who uses what.
B - I wouldn’t doubt the average person is going to use as many characters as they can. That doesn’t mean we should let them write a novella for a clan tag.

The fact that there was no abusing with long clan names in etqw only enforces the fact that tag length should be a reasonable number like 16 or 32.

That is not a logical assumption at all.
In fact since DB is trying to attract a wider audience than etqw we should be limiting possible abuse points more, not opening them up.
And while competition scenes and proper clan meetups will not be abused pubbers are known to be a bit more “griefy” especially in a f2p game where they don’t lose an investment if they get banned.

People are all whining about how DB needs to limit clutter on the screen and you want a 32 character clan tag? So you’d be happy playing in a game where all of the opposition have this next to their name:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

??

(murka) #22

Do you even comprehend what I’m writing?
First off, I took the first few etqw fragmovies i could find and examine team clantags from there.
By “as much as possible” i mean they write the whole clan name and nothing less, although there are a few exceptions.
Also i did notice some teams had sponsors in the tags as well.

I’m providing hard evidence from a game and i can take a few more games like w:et as an example, but all you do is speculate and pull numbers from your behind. Please show me where a clan tag could be abused. Innocent unless proven otherwise.
Oh and where did you get your averages?

I honestly don’t want to see a single name on my hud. Even if i wanted, i would remove the clantag from it. If you really need to identify a clanmate, do like etqw with triangle colors depending on friendly/enemy/buddy/fireteam/ft-leader/clanmate.

(zenstar) #23

[QUOTE=murka;412914]Do you even comprehend what I’m writing?
First off, I took the first few etqw fragmovies i could find and examine team clantags from there.[/QUOTE]
Interesting because I simply Googled for TF2 Clans and found most of them used 3-6 chars for their tags. But this is just anecdotal evidence which doesn’t mean that much.

By “as much as possible” i mean they write the whole clan name and nothing less, although there are a few exceptions.
Also i did notice some teams had sponsors in the tags as well.

Still not an argument to allow a long tag name. In fact I DO NOT want to see [clanname SPONSORED BY PEPSI!!!] running around in game.

I’m providing hard evidence from a game and i can take a few more games like w:et as an example, but all you do is speculate and pull numbers from your behind.

No. You are providing anecdotal evidence: telling stories of some things you looked up. You have a sample size of “the first few etqw fragmovies [you] could find”. You don’t even link the videos or mention the clan tags.
Hard evidence for a discussion like this would be, for example, mentioning popular games in the same genre and how they do it… hmmm. I wonder which one of us has done that here?
Oh that’s right. It was me.

Please show me where a clan tag could be abused. Innocent unless proven otherwise.

um… how about 32 Ws in a row? You don’t consider that abuse? Or didn’t you actually read my full post? Or do you want me to actually go ingame and grab a screenshot of someone abusing it before you’ll believe that the system is open to abuse? Because then you’re being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic.

Oh and where did you get your averages?

From YOU!
You said: “I just did look at the trends in etqw before posting and found that the average was about 6 chars.”
Are you admitting to providing false evidence just to try win the discussion now? Should I assume that you were lying?

I honestly don’t want to see a single name on my hud. Even if i wanted, i would remove the clantag from it. If you really need to identify a clanmate, do like etqw with triangle colors depending on friendly/enemy/buddy/fireteam/ft-leader/clanmate.

I’m quite happy with options to turn things like that off, but I happen to like a nice short clan tag. Also: colour-blind people would probably prefer a nice short tag to colourful triangles that mean nothing to them (and yes: I have a very colour-blind friend who dislikes your suggestion).
And if you’d rather have no clan tag up on the screen then why are you trying to convince me that a 32 character tag is a good idea?

Note: I’m not talking about a clan Name which can get displayed on the scoreboard or inbetween games. I’m talking about the Tag displayed during the game (as I have previously stated).

(Breo) #24

[QUOTE=zenstar;412880]People are all whining about how DB needs to limit clutter on the screen and you want a 32 character clan tag? So you’d be happy playing in a game where all of the opposition have this next to their name:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

??[/QUOTE]

This was possible with Brink, was pretty annoying with the already confusing HUD. But it’s a know problem I guess, it could be solved with a max limit + “automatic scroll” when it’s too long (not sure if this a good solution).

(murka) #25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byooiHpB04c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIuJwdqOFgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSrI3Av3TGk

TF2 has nothing to do with the enemy territory genre.

Yes. And this is not pedantic. Your theoretical 32 W’s in a row might be abusive, but take a look at those fragmovies above. I have no issue with 15char long clantags and can’t imagine having one with a 32 char clantag.

[QUOTE=zenstar;412923]From YOU!
You said: “I just did look at the trends in etqw before posting and found that the average was about 6 chars.”
Are you admitting to providing false evidence just to try win the discussion now? Should I assume that you were lying?[/QUOTE]

Clan name is the official name a clan has and has nothing to do with what is shown in-game. Clantag is the string(1D character array) the team uses and is usually set by a cvar. In no game have i seen options to have both a clan name and a tag. Stop inventing new definitions.

Oh and do introduce yourself to etqw from the videos above. It even has names when you point at players without cluttering the HUD. I’m sure my previous suggestion about colored triangles and the default-on option of simple unobstructive names when pointed at will be suitable plus cvars for triangle colors and hud element alphas.

(stealth6) #26

I like the idea of symbols / colors for teammates fireteams and no tags above player names. Then all your friends or clan mates have a symbol / color and on the scoreboard their name can be as long as they want.

For admin purposes you can use listclients or a similar command to get the player ID to kick them without typing the full name.

Obviously there does need to be some kind of limit to both clantag and player name so it fits in the kill feed etc. There was also a suggestions I heard to split the clantag into 2 parts, a prefix and a suffix. The prefix would be your clan tag and the suffix would be the sponsor with your name in the middle.

(DarkangelUK) #27

Keep it simple I say. Names obscure and confuse friend from foe enough as it is without a full sentence above their heads.

(zenstar) #28

[QUOTE=murka;412935]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byooiHpB04c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIuJwdqOFgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSrI3Av3TGk
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. some random vids that don’t actually change anything. First: I never claimed that the length should be based on the average length of old clan tags. You insinuated that by bringing the average length of old clan tags into the conversation.
Second: You claimed that the average length was 6 chars based on your viewing of these videos. That only furthers my position that a short tag of 6-8 characters is what we should be aiming for here.

TF2 has nothing to do with the enemy territory genre.

You mean other than it being a highly successful f2p FPS that has classes, teams and is objective based?
Hmm… what similar game could be described in almost the same way?

Just because it’s cartoony doesn’t make it not extremely similar. In fact since DB is opening up to different game modes it makes TF2 even more relevant!

Yes. And this is not pedantic. Your theoretical 32 W’s in a row might be abusive, but take a look at those fragmovies above. I have no issue with 15char long clantags and can’t imagine having one with a 32 char clantag.

Actually it is pendantic. It’s easy to see that someone could abuse a long clan tag without me having to show you a screenshot of someone doing it.

Also (as I stated) if this is going to be a f2p game it’s going to attract a big pubber audience (or it’ll fail) and that will come with it’s fair share of trolls who will abuse things. Can you imagine that? Or is that too difficult?

Clan name is the official name a clan has and has nothing to do with what is shown in-game. Clantag is the string(1D character array) the team uses and is usually set by a cvar. In no game have i seen options to have both a clan name and a tag. Stop inventing new definitions.

lol. 1D character array… hahahaha we’re getting super technical now are we?
Just because you’ve never seen the option to have both doesn’t mean that option shouldn’t exist, but i was actually just trying to make sure we’re talking about the same thing since you seem to be quite happy to have small essays floating around the players in the game I thought maybe you were thinking on a scoreboard or something in which case I wouldn’t care about length.
But since we are talking about the tag then I still completely disagree with you. A tag with a max length of 16 - 32 characters is way too long.

Oh and do introduce yourself to etqw from the videos above. It even has names when you point at players without cluttering the HUD. I’m sure my previous suggestion about colored triangles and the default-on option of simple unobstructive names when pointed at will be suitable plus cvars for triangle colors and hud element alphas.

What makes you think I never played etqw? or w:et? Just because I haven’t been around the forums here for very long? I’ve played both a fair bit. Not pro. I’m a pubber and not ashamed of it.
Guess what group of player will actually be funding this game? It’s not going to be the pro community. They’ll bring in some but it’s going to be the general masses of pubbers who make or break this game.

And having 32 Ws appear when you mouse over someone IS cluttering the HUD.
I do agree with you one the one point: having options to turn on/off and setting colours would be a good thing.

Oh and do introduce yourself to other popular FPSs before making statements about things that are already done in Pro communities now. Recreating the wheel and insulating DB from the general shooter population will only hurt it.

(zenstar) #29

I’m down with having the option of coloured symbols, but will we be uploading our own? Because then prepare for loads of pron. If not then we still need the option of having text tags to be colour blind friendly since a red skull and a blue skull look the same to some people.
In fact a friend of mine has 3 or 4 different types of colour blindness. We did an online test with him once that produced a picture emulating the colour recognition that he has and he basically sees the world in sepia with some red. He’d prefer a simple text tag to a coloured symbol unless it was a unique symbol (but then pron).

(murka) #30

Sorry, your post was too long, didn’t read.

(Mustang) #31

Pretty much agree with everything stealth6 has said.

(zenstar) #32

Way to build a community. Being condescending and elitist really worked with Brink.

Whatever. I’ve stated my side. If you don’t want to refute my points then that’s fine. I don’t think either of us is going to change our opinions based off what the other has said.

Yeah. I think I’m signing out of this thread then.

(Humate) #33

kiss and makeup imo

(SockDog) #34

Without getting my claws out I’ll just grumpily state a clan TAG should be just that a tag not the full name. I honestly don’t want to read what smart/funny/manly name you call your clan, by all means wear a tag so I know you’re together but that should be it as far as my ocular involvement matters. And I certainly don’t think people should be given a capability to use a tag as a means to promote a sponsor, my god, people are up in arms about SD including advertising but we’re cool if people sponsor us to death. :slight_smile:

[ul]
[li]Clan Tag 1-6 char with a divider of some sort and the ability to put the tag at the start or end of the nick
[/li][li]Clan Name shown on stats pages and other out of game services. Maybe also as a popup if you hover over a player or tag with the mouse in certain screens.
[/li][li]Paid for Sponsorship slots. You pay SD money and you get a sponsorship slot to display a sponsor name or message in the same locations your clan name appears
[/li][/ul]

I do think there should be some way to register tags and names to a unique identifier too but I guess that is going to be coming as part of the competitive interface.