so why was nexon chosen?

(chippy) #21

While the Nexon bashing is getting quite tire- and gruesome the question itself is still valid.

I’d love to hear why Nexon was chosen over other companies even if it doesn’t change anything at all at this point. I have a feeling that there’s more to this than meets the eye right now no matter what the situation is/or becoming as of now.

(shaftz0r) #22

besides bloodline champions, all of those started as payed games. am i wrong?

[QUOTE=Rex;485604]Can’t see the point of this thread. Your question won’t change anything anyway, so move along please.
Quite tired of this Nexon bashing…[/QUOTE]

there is no “bashing” thx. its a valid question, and one that was never answered, but you can rehash the map issues, merc balancing and everything else for the 10000000 time if you’de like

[QUOTE=chippy;485605]While the Nexon bashing is getting quite tire- and gruesome the question itself is still valid.

I’d love to hear why Nexon was chosen over other companies even if it doesn’t change anything at all at this point. I have a feeling that there’s more to this than meets the eye right now no matter what the situation is/or becoming as of now.[/QUOTE]

this was my reason for starting the thread. they’ve been extremely open and honest with us about almost everything. i figured it was worth the thread to find the real answer

(Anti) #23

Steam is a platform, putting your game on Steam gives you a content delivery platform and a place in their store, but that us about it.

A partner like Nexon gives a lot more, as some examples things like experience in the F2P market, funds for advertising, additional QA and testing resources, strategic partnerships with other companies, experience in countries outside of the ones we are used to working in, marketing support, access to existing players of their games etc etc

Steam is a great platform, it does offer a lot of opportunities, but these are very limited compared to the benefits of having a publisher/distributor involved with your game.

(Kinjal) #24
  • region separation

(shaftz0r) #25

thats unavoidable unfortunately

(Protekt1) #26

Valve only self publishes. They don’t publish other games just host them on their digital store and integrate into the steam service. If you’re worried about XT not being on steam, I am guessing it could be and probably will be. I’ve played a couple f2ps that made their way to steam over time, some pretty shortly after release like SF2. BLR took a couple months, which was probably a good thing since the game launched in such a ****ty state anyway. But when it did get to steam it couldn’t handle the massive amount of new people so it never lived up to its potential.

(rline) #27

[QUOTE=Anti;485611]Steam is a platform, putting your game on Steam gives you a content delivery platform and a place in their store, but that us about it.

A partner like Nexon gives a lot more, as some examples things like experience in the F2P market, funds for advertising, additional QA and testing resources, strategic partnerships with other companies, experience in countries outside of the ones we are used to working in, marketing support, access to existing players of their games etc etc

Steam is a great platform, it does offer a lot of opportunities, but these are very limited compared to the benefits of having a publisher/distributor involved with your game.[/QUOTE]

I’ve noticed that there are quite a few Nexon games that have been released on Steam. Will this be the case with Extraction?

(INF3RN0) #28

They should release on steam as well imo. Would be a smart marketing move.

(Leinahtan) #29

[QUOTE=Anti;485611]Steam is a platform, putting your game on Steam gives you a content delivery platform and a place in their store, but that us about it…

A partner like Nexon gives a lot more <cut>…access to existing players of their games etc etc

Steam is a great platform, it does offer a lot of opportunities, but these are very limited compared to the benefits of having a publisher/distributor involved with your game.[/QUOTE]

So Extraction is aimed at the MapleStory-Mabinogi-DragonNest-Otaku-SemiHistoricAsiaSettingMMOs-ExclusiveCasual player base with its third rate launcher over the Doom-HalfLife-Quake-Unreal-L4D-AlmostAllMajorPCGames-TF2-DotA2 player base with the Steam Launcher…

I understand Nexon has the experience and resources which steam can not provide for F2P, but their player population is vastly different - I doubt anyone who was already using Nexon is going to hop on when given the chance - possible they hopped on and off after rage quitting. And Nexon is hoping you will bring more players to their service…

Its like setting up a shop inside a HelloKitty Factory/Mall/Store… It makes no sense marketing wise…

I hate to say this, but if you were highly confident in your product, in your ability to maintain it, and to market it F2P - then you could have earned more if it went big via Steam or by yourself than with Nexon. By pairing up with Nexon, you sent a signal that you have given up and acknowledged the game won’t be a huge success. I am thinking that. Others here are not happy with Nexon for many reasons, maybe the same, maybe not.

(Protekt1) #30

[QUOTE=Leinahtan;485763]So Extraction is aimed at the MapleStory-Mabinogi-DragonNest-Otaku-SemiHistoricAsiaSettingMMOs-ExclusiveCasual player base with its third rate launcher over the Doom-HalfLife-Quake-Unreal-L4D-AlmostAllMajorPCGames-TF2-DotA2 player base with the Steam Launcher…

I understand Nexon has the experience and resources which steam can not provide for F2P, but their player population is vastly different - I doubt anyone who was already using Nexon is going to hop on when given the chance - possible they hopped on and off after rage quitting. And Nexon is hoping you will bring more players to their service…

Its like setting up a shop inside a HelloKitty Factory/Mall/Store… It makes no sense marketing wise…

I hate to say this, but if you were highly confident in your product, in your ability to maintain it, and to market it F2P - then you could have earned more if it went big via Steam or by yourself than with Nexon. By pairing up with Nexon, you sent a signal that you have given up and acknowledged the game won’t be a huge success. I am thinking that. Others here are not happy with Nexon for many reasons, maybe the same, maybe not.[/QUOTE]

Steam doesn’t publish other people’s games for them. They are an online retailer. Steam is a platform, they can put this game on steam if valve, nexon, and SD come to an agreement on how that all works out. I’d imagine it will eventually. I don’t think they have announced any official information in either regard.

(Leinahtan) #31

First impressions are important in establishing a player base, which in turn attracts more players. If the game is dead before it is allowed onto Steam, then it’s over. Nexon’s player base is about as far from Extraction’s target audience as can be, its astounding. As for those who are solely interested in playing only Extraction, they will have to deal with Nexon and its loader. Many will decide not to even give it a try when they see the Nexon launcher. others will and in turn will be frustrated and quit.

*Grammar fix :slight_smile:

(Protekt1) #32

Not really. Blacklight retribution wasn’t on steam for several months and probably held only a few hundred players most of the time. When it came on steam there were tons of new players. The problem was that they didn’t anticipate the load so they didn’t really get the MAX benefit from steam launch they could have had. But they did go from a couple hundred daily players to 2k-4k people on at any given time for quite a while. Fast forward now it has been almost 2 years since launch and they still have >500 people on despite being 3-4am EST (pretty bad time to take a measurement).

And well sure, first impressions are important. I won’t deny that. But definitely regarding the underlined statement, I disagree. Even forge went f2p on steam after being a retail product… before it went f2p it had maybe 1 server. Afterwards it had 1k+ people trying the game out and playing daily.

(.Chris.) #33

Are Nexon co-funding the development or is that still solely SD? I always assumed the deal was to help with cash flow along with everything Anti said.

(attack) #34

i dont get whats the point to discuss it , its too late anyway

(shaftz0r) #35

i agree with quite a few of these points, but i feel that with a decent matchmaking system, it really won’t matter if it does become a “worst-comes to-worst” situation

[QUOTE=Protekt1;485777]Not really. Blacklight retribution wasn’t on steam for several months and probably held only a few hundred players most of the time. When it came on steam there were tons of new players. The problem was that they didn’t anticipate the load so they didn’t really get the MAX benefit from steam launch they could have had. But they did go from a couple hundred daily players to 2k-4k people on at any given time for quite a while. Fast forward now it has been almost 2 years since launch and they still have >500 people on despite being 3-4am EST (pretty bad time to take a measurement).

And well sure, first impressions are important. I won’t deny that. But definitely regarding the underlined statement, I disagree. Even forge went f2p on steam after being a retail product… before it went f2p it had maybe 1 server. Afterwards it had 1k+ people trying the game out and playing daily.[/QUOTE]

yes any game will get a large bump from just being on steam. you’re reaching a MUCH larger audience, and all it takes is one main page advert to bring a ton of fresh blood in. The issue is in the staying power. I just hope they make enough money with nexon to keep community maps and updated content a reality, that way if the move to steam does happen, it isnt happening as a last resort

It’s a discussion because we’ve never had it. Nexon came from left field, and we’ve now had enough time to let it soak in, and talk about it logically.

(.Chris.) #36

14 page discussion here when it was announced…

http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/37442-Please-Read-Upcoming-Dirty-Bomb-Name-Change-and-A-New-Partnership

(shaftz0r) #37

yes, announced. that was before the forums were “fixed” and the launcher was redone. we’ve had time to digest now, and you’ll notice this conversation is civil in comparison

(tokamak) #38

THIS!

THIS is how a gaming hub is supposed to look like:

http://us.battle.net/en/app/