Return to Castle Wolfenstein: The Dark Army

(ronboy) #261

Tatiana has uploaded a playthrough for version 1.0 of The Dark Army: Uprising! You can watch it on my website here: https://goo.gl/0RGqVu

(ronboy) #262

Titeuf-85 has launched a new website for The Dark Army: Downfall! Check my website for more information: https://goo.gl/ZxFV4S

(Staatmeister) #263

Windows only? Seriously? You know that since the source was released the game was ported to other platforms, eh?

(Nail) #264

not everyone has the resources to port

(wolfETplayer) #265

How much people are using mac or linux as their main gaming platform anyway? What is it like 1%? No offense but this is a waste of time. We talking about mod for 2001 game not about triple A project.

(Nail) #266

I ate his stars for being arrogant

(ronboy) #267

I know of a few players that use Mac, but you are right about most players using Windows instead. With the current amount of players in mind, it makes sense to cater to the majority instead of the minority. But in the end, it’s Titeuf’s decision.

(Staatmeister) #268

This ist exactly my argument. We’re not talking about the newest shiny Call of Duty with instant platinum sales on release. We’re talking about old stuff, many people don’t even remember or know. The broader the number of platforms, the broader the audience. Other ports, like iortcw and rtcwcoop are actually available at least for windows, linux and osx.

And just one further note, no offense, but the standalone version don’t deliver the sources, which is, as you should know, a clear violation of the GPL. If it’s unmodified realrtcw stuff, okay, then a note in a readme should do that to be safe. :wink:

(Staatmeister) #269

Hate to say that, but if Zenimax still care, Titeuf could receive at least an C&D letter. Beside the fact, that the standalone mod is in fact a standalone game infringing copyright by using the Wolfenstein name, by using B.J, etc., if someone take a deeper look into the files, he will find tons of original textures from RtCW.

(ronboy) #270

Here we go again with copyright nonsense. My upcoming project will, in fact, be standalone and I know a decent number of other releases that are standalone too. I see no problem with this, as long as the author doesn’t profit from it. It’s something that’s free to download and play with no profit being made whatsoever.

But you are right; Zenimax could care less as they only care about their beloved Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.

(Staatmeister) #271

[QUOTE=ronboy;563376]Here we go again with copyright nonsense. My upcoming project will, in fact, be standalone and I know a decent number of other releases that are standalone too. I see no problem with this, as long as the author doesn’t profit from it. It’s something that’s free to download and play with no profit being made whatsoever.

But you are right; Zenimax could care less as they only care about their beloved Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.[/QUOTE]

I suggest to read this:

Copyright does not have anything to do with potential profits. Copyright means you aren’t allowed to use this material. Call that nonsense if you want, But that won’t help you, if you get a notice from their lawyer.

(wolfETplayer) #272

Zenimax does not care about such old games. There are many standalone releases and no one received any warnings from zenimax lawyers.
There is no point to waste their time on some mods for 2001 game.Its common sense.So,if it is not Nintendo we’re safe.

(Staatmeister) #273

Maybe Zenimax does not care, or they didn’t know of their existence. That is a big difference. If you read the suggested link, you could see, that they send the C&D letter 14 years (in words fourteen!) after DoomRL was released, just at a time when the creator started a fundraising campaign for another RL game.

This is what you call safe? Think again. And then there was the other guy here who called me arrogant.

(wolfETplayer) #274

Just read your link and it seems they really care.They just didn’t noticed it yet.
I knew that releasing a standalone mod is illegal,I just thought Zenimax was better than that.Taking down free fan made games.
Oh well, this is just one of the issues of the modern copyright when big corporations can abuse their copyrights.
Now I am thinking about Victors modification,hopefully they will get rid of all original assets,if it is possible at all.

(Staatmeister) #275

I wouldn’t call Zenimax evil because of that. In many countries you have to take actions to defend your copyrights and trademarks in order to stay in possession of it.

(wolfETplayer) #276

I know,Zenimax is doing everything according to law. Too bad law is not always matches with common sense.

(Staatmeister) #277

I would say it’s a luck. If law would match with common sense we could have some sharia-like bull****. :wink:

(William Faure) #278

Hi Staatmeister. It seems you have many concerns, I’d be glad to answer you.

The Dark Army: Uprising’s engine is RealRTCW, that was released on Windows only. So that was more a constraint than a choice, and be sure I understand the size of the Mac and Linux community. When (if) RealRTCW becomes compatible with Mac and Linux in the future, I’ll be porting the mod to these platforms.

This is true, however RealRTCW’s code/.dll files remain unmodified. Also, RealRTCW logos appear in the main menu (same thing in the credits, w/ reference to its author). But you’re right, that should have been implied through a readme that this version of RealRTCW is unmodified.

[QUOTE=Staatmeister;563361]Hate to say that, but if Zenimax still care, Titeuf could receive at least an C&D letter. Beside the fact, that the standalone mod is in fact a standalone game infringing copyright by using the Wolfenstein name, by using B.J, etc., if someone take a deeper look into the files, he will find tons of original textures from RtCW.[/QUOTE][QUOTE=Staatmeister;563377]I suggest to read this:

Copyright does not have anything to do with potential profits. Copyright means you aren’t allowed to use this material. Call that nonsense if you want, But that won’t help you, if you get a notice from their lawyer.[/QUOTE][QUOTE=Staatmeister;563383]Maybe Zenimax does not care, or they didn’t know of their existence. That is a big difference. If you read the suggested link, you could see, that they send the C&D letter 14 years (in words fourteen!) after DoomRL was released, just at a time when the creator started a fundraising campaign for another RL game.[/QUOTE]

If I ever receive a C&D letter from Zenimax, so be it. Vicpas has made an add-on version of the mod so it can be played only if you own the original game, thus it would not bother me to delete the download files from Mod DB and ask Wolfenstein4ever.de, Wolffiles.de (and other websites which provide standalone TDA) to take down their links.

But it’s very unlikely they’ll do so.

I have taken a look at the link you have posted. DoomRL, or Doom Roguelike, was a fan-game and not a mod. Also its developers used Zenimax trademarks and –as specified in the e-mail– media, meta-tags, etc… If they were making money through this website, Zenimax had a sufficient motive to take it down. The Dark Army: Uprising is free, is a mod, doesn’t have a website, is on Mod DB (unlike DoomRL which was only downloadable from the website of its developers). The many game files you can find in the .pk3 archives do not allow the player to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Finally, I have never raised a fundraising campaign for anything I have been working on, not even TDA, and I never will. In short, unlike DoomRL developers, I have never made money upon one of Zenimax’s brands, never had the intent to, and never will.

(Staatmeister) #279

Hi Titeuf, thank you for your detailed answer.

[QUOTE=TITEUF-85;563399]
The Dark Army: Uprising[/B]'s engine is RealRTCW, that was released on Windows only. So that was more a constraint than a choice, and be sure I understand the size of the Mac and Linux community. When (if) RealRTCW becomes compatible with Mac and Linux in the future, I’ll be porting the mod to these platforms.[/QUOTE]

I understand this, nonetheless it is a pity. I far as i could see, RealRTCW is based on iortcw, which was already ported to OSX and Linux. Please correct me, if i am wrong.

So in that case you are safe.

[QUOTE=TITEUF-85;563399]If I ever receive a C&D letter from Zenimax, so be it. Vicpas has made an add-on version of the mod so it can be played only if you own the original game, thus it would not bother me to delete the download files from Mod DB and ask Wolfenstein4ever.de, Wolffiles.de (and other websites which provide standalone TDA) to take down their links.

But it’s very unlikely they’ll do so.[/QUOTE]

I don’t see it that optimistic, but if it comes down to legal actions, it’s your ass. So it is your decision.

I took a look at TDA too, and it stopped being a mod the moment you uploaded a standalone version, which contains material and trademarks owned by Zenimax. Your mod is no problem, as far as i can see, as it does not contain any copyrighted material, and you can play it only, if you have RtCW installed.

Again, it is not a question of profits, the DoomRL game(s) was completely free too, the fundraising had nothing to do with THIS game, it was for a completely new RL game.

Don’t get me wrong, i appreciate your engagement and your work for RtCW, and i will play TDA when i come home, where my Windows PC is (I mostly use a MacBook Pro when not at home). I just wanted to warn you, because there is a clear possibility that Zenimax take actions, the moment they are aware of your standalone version of TDA.

(wolfETplayer) #280

RealRTCW is based on 1.42d patch not iortcw.