[RELEASE] 1944 Nordwind 2.0

(acQu) #21

Hi Mateos,

good work, but some criticism. I am not a pro mapper, but there was a value i can remember from my own poor mapping days/attempts. You can set that value in worldspawn entity. I think it was ‘ambient’. Raise that pls ^^ (the map is way too dark).

(Mateos) #22

It was made in this goal :confused: Especially for shadows. But if it is really needed… Will do. How high?

Edit:
For a better accuracy, can you tell me which shot you find the most problematically dark? So I can add an ambient lighting level, compile, post a screenshot so you can tell me if it’s enough :slight_smile:

(acQu) #23

Will do. How high?

That is not up to me. I just tested and gave my first impression.

To theory craft a little about this style. When you make it dark, and in addition have a snowy map, then the colors tend to get grey and boring. However, ET was always a colorful game and i liked it because of that style. That should not mean that i am not open for a lesser colorful map though. It may have its unique style also.

]e:

Edit:
For a better accuracy, can you tell me which shot you find the most problematically dark? So I can add an ambient lighting level, compile, post a screenshot so you can tell me if it’s enough

As example take the misc_gamemodel at the end of the tank trace. Not very well lit there… Some other places look ok though and if i think about it, some places actually have a really good lightning. Take for example screenshot 8. You should take that as a prime example to make the rest of the map. Some places though do not look ok to me even there, e.g. house way too dark, pixely shadows casted from the trees, really really dark corner at front right, some random pixel shadows at random places where you have no clue from where or what this should be, etc …

Screen 1 ? If you ask me this is too dark, but if i read that it is intention, then meh. Okay i guess…

(zbzero) #24

Great map mateos, stable fps in 95% of map!!!
Great work, really, i love the athmosphere of map

Wel done mate!!

(Dushan) #25

your map inside my OpenWolf :slight_smile:

With all effects turned on.
EDIT: Because of HDR Rendering it might look like too bright :slight_smile:

(Dushan) #26

Added two more photos :slight_smile:

(Gir) #27

[QUOTE=Dushan;400320]your map inside my OpenWolf :slight_smile:

With all effects turned on.
EDIT: Because of HDR Rendering it might look like too bright :)[/QUOTE]

Why would you have HDR Rendering on a Map with Lightmaps, the maps Lighting would need to be completely redesigned in Darkradiant to take advantage of HDR. ETxreal engine makes Vanilla Maps look ugly.

I just played this map and looks fanastic and well done.

(Dushan) #28

Not your concern.

EDIT: That feature is optional, you can always turn it off if you don’t like it. :slight_smile: There is only vanilla map with what I have problem - “Goldrush”.

(Mateos) #29

[QUOTE=zbzero;400318]Great map mateos, stable fps in 95% of map!!!

Wel done mate!![/QUOTE]

Thank you very much! I’m interested by the 5%¨, would like it to be perfectly played anywhere, but I already know the area between frozen water and house near first Axis spawn has bad FPS if you look in Tank Depot direction; I tried to reduce as much as possible the related leaf node, and optimize the map in this direction, but I guess I can do even more; If you have other(s) location(s), just tell me :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=acQu;400296]As example take the misc_gamemodel at the end of the tank trace. Not very well lit there… Some other places look ok though and if i think about it, some places actually have a really good lightning. Take for example screenshot 8. You should take that as a prime example to make the rest of the map. Some places though do not look ok to me even there, e.g. house way too dark, pixely shadows casted from the trees, really really dark corner at front right, some random pixel shadows at random places where you have no clue from where or what this should be, etc …

Screen 1 ? If you ask me this is too dark, but if i read that it is intention, then meh. Okay i guess…[/QUOTE]

Do you mean between the Hut and the house near the First Truck Barrier, or the whole place? It is lighten only buy the moon, and shadows are from bushes and buildings; But I can add lanterns on electric pillars.

All the little lanterns you can see around the map has been added to reduce black corner effects, and I just let the Warehouse very dark with the water sound (if you noticed it), I think for a cave with some wine barrels it could fit :confused: That’s an other reason I had an ambient value at FP2, and you have here the “FP5” (FP4 was the public test on my clan servers): have more clear and neat shadows, they were just grey and not neat enough. I would like less black corners but same shadowing, and usually the ambient arg fix the first issue but kills the second :confused:

About the trees shadows, the road texture shader is made to have something less fuzziness, and after all it’s ET… I tried to get a better shadowing but the compile takes too much time for a result just a little better :confused: May I go backward to an untweaked shadowing of trees?

@Dushan I think HDR on white surfaces, especially snow textures, just need tweaking to avoid a “too bright” feeling, but looks a bit better than ETXReaL. The interiors looks good! I like the lighting of the Tank Depot spawn!

(acQu) #30

It is hard to tell. On some places you got really nice effect of shadows, but on some other places it looks pixely and not so well. Some places for example have this huge shadow blobs, which seem not to have any cause or source of lightning. They are just there :confused:

About the ambient value. If i think about it, maybe this is not so good idea. Was just a first thought of me. AFAIK this would only make the shadows lighter a bit, right ? Maybe you can add a light entity above all these critical places (shadow blob places :)) with color values of skybox to “erase” these out of some sort. Could be an approach i guess.

(acQu) #31

It is hard to tell. On some places you got really nice effect of shadows, but on some other places it looks pixely and not so well. Some places for example have this huge shadow blobs, which seem not to have any cause or source of lightning. They are just there :confused:

About the ambient value. If i think about it, maybe this is not so good idea. Was just a first thought of me. AFAIK this would only make the shadows lighter a bit, right ? Maybe you can add a light entity above all these critical places (shadow blob places :)) with color values of skybox to “erase” these out of some sort. Could be an approach i guess.

(Mateos) #32

Will try this way, thanks for feedback! :slight_smile:

(Gir) #33

I converted a load of ET Shaders into Doom 3 Material format which might help.

(Gir) #34

Isn’t that just the limitation of the Engine

(acQu) #35

It is probably limitation of the compiler (who compiles lightmaps) and the engine. Maybe by configuring the compiler via mapsettings he can achieve better results. There was once an option i can remember, to make shadows more detailed. But compile time increases alot then.

(Mateos) #36

lightmapscale, bounce, _deviance, _samples, filterradius… There’s a lot of switches for the light stage for shadowing, these are for alpha shadowing.

If I have time I will play around with these on a tiny test map with just the Gold Rush skybox, a tree and a texture with tweaked shader.

(Tardis) #37

[QUOTE=zbzero;400318]Great map mateos, stable fps in 95% of map!!!

Wel done mate!![/QUOTE]

I Get 100% FPS - - I think windows and billboards should be brakeable and more light as I find it a bit dark - I have my gamma on 3.00 :frowning:

that is the only downs I have - the map is very well done well done mate :wink:

(Mateos) #38

Windows are made unbreakable to avoid SK and camping; They’re only there to let Allies/Axis see where’s the enemy when spawning, to avoid getting killed when exiting.

Will try to improve lighting :confused:

Thanks for feedback!

(Runeforce) #39

It’s a piece of art! Looks good and sounds good! I don’t see what the problem is with the lightning, it seems perfect to me.

The tank/truck goes black when driving though the ends of the “tunnel.”

Athmospheric sound cuts off if you walk too close to the escape grate.

Alternativ download link v. 2.0. Go to page, hit Ctrl+S

(Mateos) #40

Thanks for reporting, will add a sound node and see what’s wrong with the misc_gamemodel’s :slight_smile: