Reflection on the Linearity of XT

(.Chris.) #21

Thanks, was what I was trying to say :slight_smile:

(attack) #22

rookie i like the idea behind it .

i could see smth like the venice antitankgun:
the gun could be destroyed by attacking team or repaired by defending any time.but to fire the gun a soldier class had to press a key,which has result in a destroyed tank as long the tank wasnt behind a wall or smth.(so you have to press in the right moment)

(rookie1) #23

[QUOTE=ailmanki;485570]ā€œEV will go all around if path is blockedā€ at which moment is that decided? Does it mean one just has to camp there and push the button in right moment?
.[/QUOTE]
trigger point ! if it reach it it will go right or left depending on path status and ev position.
and the argument of this is not a Single player its MP ,is non sense just look around many MP games .
If making a game more interactive will make you bored very fast ,ok make it more static and see how less fast ppl will get bored.
As for me the game is linear and not offer many options in the maps and im already starting to be bored of this linearity .

(attack) #24

[QUOTE=rookie1;485586]trigger point ! if it reach it it will go right or left depending on path status and ev position.
and the argument of this is not a Single player its MP ,is non sense just look around many MP games .
If making a game more interactive will make you bored very fast ,ok make it more static and see how less fast ppl will get bored.
As for me the game is linear and not offer many options in the maps and im already starting to be bored of this linearity .[/QUOTE]

im sure the ev thing is more meant about the point of decision and who does it.
look to this.lets say the ev is direct in front of the ā€œbarrierā€,but the barrier is planted with 10 secs remaining,the full way around would need lets say 50 sec,will it take the route around.or the attackers can plant 1 sec after the tank turns to go around the barrier(letsuse a 30 sec timer) because smbdy went itn range of it, so the whole t4eam loses about 19 secs,if you would implement the time which it needs to past the destroyed tankbarrier you would end in about 17 sec which you loose because one guy missstepped or got pulled by an explotion in tankrange.

to point it out i like your overal idea.

(rookie1) #25

[QUOTE=attack;485591]im sure the ev thing is more meant about the point of decision and who does it.
look to this.lets say the ev is direct in front of the ā€œbarrierā€,but the barrier is planted with 10 secs remaining,the full way around would need lets say 50 sec,will it take the route around.or the attackers can plant 1 sec after the tank turns to go around the barrier(letsuse a 30 sec timer) because smbdy went itn range of it, so the whole t4eam loses about 19 secs,if you would implement the time which it needs to past the destroyed tankbarrier you would end in about 17 sec which you loose because one guy missstepped or got pulled by an explotion in tankrange.

to point it out i like your overal idea.[/QUOTE]

Again this was an exemple without all parameters.
No question if we have a choice between a shortcut and long path we will choiced the shortcut.
If the barrier is normally closed Having a switch would be the best option for opening ā€¦but defense could have the option to blow with c4 the whole thing closing the path for ever .As the EV will be coming when it will reach a certain point it could see if Path open or not than take the shorther way .If a c4 is planted while EV starting to go that way .C4 could be Auto neutralize .C4 would need to be Place and exploded before the EV triggering point

(ailmanki) #26

Please tell me which other MP game offers this mechanic?

I guess ET has a few maps like this. Only one coming to my mind is UJE_00: http://www.ujeclan.com/mapshtml/UJE_00.html
Most players donā€™t even know the tank can take different routes.

Though I must agree to some degree to your idea, if it is really well thought out; including secondary objectives - like that blowable switch it might be an interesting mechanic. It might make it indeed more interesting. But if its just a simple trigger happy thingy, oh barrier here lets drive left - then its bad.

So far the game is kept very simple and straight forward, communicating such an objective to player is surely very difficult. And will probably just add to the confusion. Not saying it confuses me - LOL.

Overall its interestingā€¦ depending on time something else happens. Imagine Trainyard with a timer, you donā€™t do first objective in time, you have to blow up something else too, to get the train pass in - and show its precious data cores.
It reminds me of the branching objectives RasterRayzerR mentioned somewhere.

(rookie1) #27

Once again its One exemple the 2 paths possible for the EV.
I donā€™t see it as a special mechanic only a basic possible events that can make a match different from one to other one .
There many others things that can be done that will not imply the EV .
Playing LB and saying we this time used that way and used this and that and done this and surprise them with this and finaly won.
Not the always same thingsā€¦ like usualā€¦ not much action ā€¦mercs battling aside.
we went at A then B than C because the game is done like that and we have not other choicesā€¦