Ranking public servers by skill

(montheponies) #21

Christ on a bike no. This whole fecking queing, lobbies s h i t e came from the feckin absurd p2p serverless COD console disaster. Now we’ve got servers emptying between matches because no one can be arsed waiting for the whole rigmarole of a new match starting.

A community server that allowed admins to set a fixed rotation of maps that just switched would be ideal - you’ll lose less players and for some that want a single map server, like an Underground only server (somebody has to!) can get their wish. As for stupid admins, well that’s a given, you can just avoid that server and use the power of the ‘favourites’ to maintain your own list.

As it stands there is no community. Just random games, filled with random players that never gel, don’t build up any rapport or add any ‘value’. There was more community back in the Alpha because we only had a few servers and the same faces generally played.

No idea why you hate it so much when it was one reason for RTCW doing so well and lasting as long as it did.

(BioSnark) #22

Playing with and against people I know is orders of magnitude more entertaining than with random people who may be indistinguishable from bots. That’s what communities do, for me. Whenever I play with mostly randoms on the server, I remember why I don’t like playing with mostly randoms in Dirty Bomb.

(Cankor) #23

[QUOTE=Apples;544184]

With community servers there will ALWAYS be a high skilled server where you’ll be at home, no one calling you a haxor, a great group of likeminded players to play with and admin who can be sure that there are no hackers or no one ruining your experience. [/QUOTE]

All true, but doesn’t help the less skilled players. I don’t mind representing that point of view: I’m over fifty, my reactions aren’t what they were when I was younger, and I have a lot of reduced mobility in my left hand, and that’s not even mentioning my eyesight. I’m honestly not that good at moving and shooting. So what about casual guys like me that aren’t in a clan that want to play occasionally with other mid-level players?

I played on plenty of servers back in the RTCW/ET days where the clan running the server thought nothing of spawn camping the hell out of the opposing team to try and set new most kills records.

Yes, there should be community run servers, and it would definitely help and it seems like it would be easy enough to implement, but I don’t think it’s the solution to this issue. Not everyone is a member of a community after all.

On a side note, I wonder if maybe the missions system is affecting players leaving a match after a single round: OK, played my objective round, got my 500 credits, now for stopwatch and execution. After that I will think about sticking around on a server for a few games.

(Apples) #24

[QUOTE=Cankor;544315]All true, but doesn’t help the less skilled players. I don’t mind representing that point of view: I’m over fifty, my reactions aren’t what they were when I was younger, and I have a lot of reduced mobility in my left hand, and that’s not even mentioning my eyesight. I’m honestly not that good at moving and shooting. So what about casual guys like me that aren’t in a clan that want to play occasionally with other mid-level players?

I played on plenty of servers back in the RTCW/ET days where the clan running the server thought nothing of spawn camping the hell out of the opposing team to try and set new most kills records.

Yes, there should be community run servers, and it would definitely help and it seems like it would be easy enough to implement, but I don’t think it’s the solution to this issue. Not everyone is a member of a community after all.

On a side note, I wonder if maybe the missions system is affecting players leaving a match after a single round: OK, played my objective round, got my 500 credits, now for stopwatch and execution. After that I will think about sticking around on a server for a few games.[/QUOTE]

Well I think it is because you didnt get the right servers then ^^ Back in QW we ran 2 of the most popular servers with my team and we (tried) to maintain a “non hardcore environment”, I tried to switch myself and balance the game as much as I could (but again, as I wasnt a leet player I couldnt turn a game all by myself), I spent time explaining to new players what they should do to improve, I shuffled smurf stack or clanstack (mine included) as many times as needed and (again I talk for myself, not all my admins were likeminded sadly and couldnt be there 24/7) I tried to keep the server “above average but not hardcore”, very good players knew that they were indeed welcome if they behave, but would be kicked or shuffled if they started stomping the other team. I personaly always was transparent about this and never had any real problem with comp team for instance, they just knew that our public servers werent targeted for them, even if they were welcome.

I think you can really find more quality if you spend your time in decent servers, I’m not 50 but 32 and I cant be harsed also to play super leet or comp, I just want fair and fun pub games on a pub servers, if I want to go hardcore again, I play comp, plain and simple.

(montheponies) #25

Servers like Jolt3 could be hard for low to mid players. But I honestly don’t remember any clan ran pub server where they would actively stack against the non-clan players - if nothing else it’s self defeating, ie. they need folk to play on the server to keep it alive. You also had loads of community servers that had nothing to do with clans - the old Blueyonder servers and laterly Pappa’s Tram were places where I struck up some good virtual friendships.