Quake 3 source code released

(Ragnar_40k) #21

Imho bandwidth wouldn’t be the problem. Clientside you can stream movies in high quality already in realtime (when you have DSL with good downstream). And serverside you would need to stream the frames to, lets say, 50 clients - this should be possible too.
But for renedering the frames for 50 clients on the server (and encoding them with something like mpeg), you would need alot of computer power. It should be possible when you have about 50 PCs with a descent graphic card on the server side (or something “big”). :smiley:
This could be a nice project for a Q3 mod: calculating all frames on a server side computer cluster and stream it via mpeg to the clients. :drink:

(You could also create something like a aaquake2 “encoding” to reduce bandwidth ;-))

(bacon) #22

The CPU doesn’t do the rendering unless you’re running in software mode…but why would you?

Imho bandwidth wouldn’t be the problem. Clientside you can stream movies in high quality already in realtime (when you have DSL with good downstream). And serverside you would need to stream the frames to, lets say, 50 clients - this should be possible too.
But for renedering the frames for 50 clients on the server (and encoding them with something like mpeg), you would need alot of computer power. It should be possible when you have about 50 PCs with a descent graphic card on the server side (or something “big”). :smiley:
This could be a nice project for a Q3 mod: calculating all frames on a server side computer cluster and stream it via mpeg to the clients. :drink:

(You could also create something like a aaquake2 “encoding” to reduce bandwidth ;-))[/quote]
Well considering that even the most powerful PCs cannot encode a low-res video at real-time, how long do you suppose it’ll be before servers can do all the calculations + encode 50 HIGH-res videos at real-time?
Bandwidth is very much an issue since video is large and bandwidth isn’t cheap.

(carnage) #23

not to mention the increased cost in servers since they would have to be very powerfull machines where todays ones can be relitivley low

but be happy, in the q2 eninge i belive they maged to implemt things like ragdol physics and dynamic lighting when that was realsed, would be great if someone made ET eninge have ragdol for grenades and stuff

(Ragnar_40k) #24

DVB-T sends 4 TV-broadcasts over a channel with 12 resp. 14 MBit/s. Each broadcast is encoded in realtime (Ok, stiil slight delay) into MPEG-2 format with about 3 bis 3,5 MBit/s (DVD quality is about 6 MBit/s).

(kamikazee) #25

Sorry to blow your enthusiasm, but I believe it would take some time to recreate the ET enginge. It uses slightly different formats and has things that weren’t there in the Q3 engine…

Or would they release the code for some specific modified engines as well?

(carnage) #26

Sorry to blow your enthusiasm, but I believe it would take some time to recreate the ET enginge. It uses slightly different formats and has things that weren’t there in the Q3 engine…

its posible they might realses the engne source for ET, but if not its alright to uses anything from the ET game in any mod as long as the player has ET installed when he runs the mod, since ET is a free game thats not a problem

so i gess you could modify the q3 eninge to what you want, dynamic lighting or whatever then try build ET over the top of it using the content from the original ET. of course some part would have to be changed but i think its posible

(Sauron|EFG) #27

I’m not so sure that would be alright (for one thing ET mods and custom maps are only allowed to be used with ET), though id/Activision may not care with ET being free anyway.

Regardless of that I think it would be a lot of work to recreate all the RtCW/ET specific parts of the engine just to reach the point where ET is now (but without Punkbuster).

(DarkangelUK) #28

Or how about distructable terrain? Here’s what coding guru tchouky of shaolin productions came up with quickly

http://tchouky1.free.fr/stuff/wall2.avi

(bani) #29

one nice thing about making cheats using the GPL q3 source – if they create a modified client or server, you can demand the source code from them, or they would be in violation of copyright law. any cheat using any file with a GPL notice in the header would make that cheat GPL as well. :slight_smile:

so there is a risk to cheaters using the GPL q3 source code to make cheats.

(carnage) #30

so there is a risk to cheaters using the GPL q3 source code to make cheats.

i dont see the risk, so we can force them to had over there cheated code but its not illegal to cheat in computer games, besides they would just insit they are not using cheats and there is nothing u can do about it

EDIT//

Or how about distructable terrain? Here’s what coding guru tchouky of shaolin productions came up with quickly

that not terrian, but its impresive, i would realy like to no what are the cost of this across the interent, would data on each entity have to be transmited making the game heavier and puting a harsh limit on the number of things like this. Or does it work on the grounds that all things like expolosions etc happen in the same place for everyone so (asuming there are no random events) the entites would move in exactly the same way without any data flow?

the seconds realy exites me as you could have levels with many things like this without any extra lag

also woulnt it be cool to make debris like this instead of the unconvincing regular stuff in ET

(Jaquboss) #31

Digging in ET , rofl :smiley:
There is lot of new options with source, maybe some problems with cheaters because missing punkbuster, but best servers should be able to watch and kick cheaters
I really hope that ET source will not be ignored

(bani) #32

i’m talking about cheat authors. the GPL has the force of law behind it and has been used to shut down people and companies abusing the GPL via court ordered injunctions.

(Sauron|EFG) #33

You’d have to prove that they use actual GPL code though, and didn’t just gain the knowledge to write “better” cheats from reading the code. Then there’s the problem of tracking them down, and in best case (?) get them to release the modified code (would that even be a good thing?).

(stebbi67) #34

Hi all nerds.

I ( a non nerd ) have just a one little stupid question regarding the release of the ET source code. Does this mean that it is possible for moders put ET on the doom3 engine?

(kamikazee) #35

ET to Doom3 engine?
You could write a Doom3 mod which looked allmost like ET, but this would be a lot of work, may violate some copyrights and stuff alike if you use ET textures and models and will need a lot of conversion tools.

Ever thought about it? You don’t need to be a nerd to find the answer.

(fretn) #36

your sig prooves you’re a nerd too :stuck_out_tongue:

(stebbi67) #37

Yes, I know that if it is possible then it would be a lot of work. I was just wondering if it is possible since the ET source has been released. Something like quake 2 evolved. (http://www.quake2evolved.com/news.htm)

I have to admit that I don’t know anything about mods or map making. It was just an idea.

(Shaderman) #38

Silly question. Would it be possible now to build a complete version or a mod that doesn’t need a valid CD key for playing online or would this require a modification of the master server in any case?

(kamikazee) #39

If you’re tqlking about Q3:
You can host servers in plain Q3 which don’t check for keys, see sv_auth.

Of course, removing it from the client is no help, the server asks for a key check if this sv_auth is 1.

(DarkangelUK) #40

sv_strictauth