[OT] Castle Wolfenstein

(Joe999) #21

the xbox360 costs $400, nothing less. everything less is only cheap stupid marketing. what is someone doing with a raw xbox without having the possibility to save a game? => one has to at least buy a $35 memory card.

either way, it’s still cheaper than my € 510,- ati x800 pro i bought a year ago and which is now old :moo:

(carnage) #22

Just hope the MP for the PC version (if it gets ported at all) doesn’t get watered down

we can always mod it :clap:[/quote]

(Lanz) #23

Just one thing I’ve been thinking about is that rtcw/w:et multiplayer seems to be taken over by et:qw with the unique map objectives, the classes etc. Will rtcw2 actually compete with et:qw in mp? I don’t think that will happen, so even if it does get ported to pc, I don’t think we can expect the same mp as we’re used to. Maybe I’m just reaching here, but if I developed two different games, I wouldn’t want them to compete against each other.

So if that’s the case, then I wouldn’t bother if they made it for pc or not, since for me, rtcw was all about the mp.

(Ragnar_40k) #24

RtCW2:MP as an official ET:QW mod?

(kat) #25

I’d hazard a guess that Wolfenstein360 MP will be closer to RtCW MP to give it a braoder appear to casual players. ET and ET:QW seems much more focused on hardcore clan based players, the gameplay is far too complex for casuals.

(mortis) #26

Consoles = teh suck, but they’re a huge industry that may roll us PC gamers ere the end. I’m thinking that the bottom line is that kiddies don’t want a PC to play games on, they want a completely automated system. Some people argue that consoles are cheaper, but looking at the game prices and the hardware prices, I’m not convinced. Plus, PCs can actually be used for work occasionally. Of course, young kiddies probably shouldn’t be playing RtCW anyway.

Teens and pre-teens have enormous purchasing power and lots of free time, so naturally they dominate the games market. In the future, if kiddies keep buying more and more consoles, the more you can expect more and more games to be designed with console use as the primary function and PC use as a secondary item. I predict that in the future, almost all game design will be first for consoles, with a focus on flashy, short-attention-span simple games that deliver solid-but-brainless entertainment.

RtCW:ET is not just an FPS game, it is really a game of reflex, strategy and teamwork. That is what makes it fun and challenging. A dumbed-down FPS designed for use on a console? No, thanks. I’d be really disappointed if they are actually desigining RtCW2 with the console as the primary platform. Unless it has all features that a PC version would have, especially in terms of customization of the game client / gui. All the momentum for the moment is in consoles, so I have resigned myself to playing what few games may still be designed with only the PC in mind. At worst, I will always have UT, ET, ET:QW and StarControlII. That will keep me busy for decades.

–Mortis

(Joe999) #27

good example for a dumbed-down fps is star wars battlefront. maybe the game is good on consoles, but the pc version is far from being fun especially as the pc version simply plays like you’d play on a console. i’m curious: anyone here who likes/plays sw battlefront?

(faltytower) #28

Some appeasement: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6135078.html

(carnage) #29

what about steam and the hl series? if other big names like ID start going console then we can prob kiss PC goodbye

i dont realy have much against console other then the games for console seem to be crap in comparison to PC not only graphicaly. i kinda get the impresion that console games are made to make money and u can see how little effort has gone it to places where when u play rtcw you can feel the atmosphere

if the games were good as PC and they allowed mouse/keyboard control then why not

if PC games do eventauly fall we could all use our skils to make our on MP games right? if u search round net there seem to be a few open source engines and stuff and lots people interested

(ouroboro) #30

PC games will never die because there will always be a market for them and business is about money. the question is will they continue to be the target platform, or will they be relegated to half-assed conversions once consoles slurp up the majority of sales?

i want the PC to be the premiere gaming platform, so it will continue to get the bulk of development money.

at the very least, the FPS genre should be the domain of the PC, as it was born here (and shooters suck with a gamepad).

let the Racing and WoW type games go completely to console, where they are best suited anyway.

(au.Hiroshima>) #31

I have no problem with console versions as long as the pc game is the real deal. By releasing the xbox version first it will hopefully keep the marketing tools I mean brilliant & far-sighted product managers at MS / Activision happy, while the developers of the PC version can continue to work on it in peace and without compromise… :slight_smile:

does anyone know at this stage if Raven is developing both the SP & MP aspects of the PC version? I guess well find out…

(Ragnar_40k) #32

On the other hand console versions (esp. XBox) assure that a game runs also on older PCs (take GTA:VC as example).

(au.Hiroshima>) #33

That’s not necessarily the case here, or even a good thing. Games tend to be developed either with one platform in mind and are then ‘ported’ to the other(s), or they are developed for cross platform release with a common engine. With very few exceptions the latter provide a lesser experience. Typically the best games, for any format, are those originally developed for that specific machine.

As far as RtCW 2 goes, I would like to think that it is first and foremost an ‘id’ engined pc game and that, due to licensing agreements, the xbox ‘port’ (and I say that in the loosest sence) just happens to have been scheduled for release first. If it is tailored to the xbox and the pc release is a derivative of that then I will be very surprised. Visually I expect both console & pc game will look very similar, however I would like to think that the multiplayer aspect of the pc version will undergo further developmend and play testing :slight_smile:

(Homer J) #34

My kids have no problems playing games on a PC, they are 4 and 2 yrs old.

(etqw.at) #35

I can’t wait for Wolfenstein for PC-Version :frowning:

XBox360 a Must Have :disgust:

(ouroboro) #36

tv-out cable + game pad = console

why would anyone buy a second PC to hook up to their TV and play games? i already have a PC that can play games and so much more…

they are turning consoles into PCs. what does that tell you?

consoles are for people who have to own every gadget that comes along, whether they need it or even want it really. it’s new tech, so they are compelled to open their wallets. if i came up with a snazzy marketing campaign to sell my feces, these types of people would rush to buy it.

baaaaa-a-a-aa-aa-a-a-aa! :moo:

i scoff in the general direction of all console owners.

(Lanz) #37

ET more focused on hardcore clan play??? Maybe after ETPro changed it to what it is today, but still the smg rate of fire, rifle nades, xp and all that just scream public play in my ears, so ET maybe (but not necessarly) with simplified objectives is sooo made for casual play.

(mortis) #38

mortis wrote:
I’m thinking that the bottom line is that kiddies don’t want a PC to play games on, they want a completely automated system.

My kids have no problems playing games on a PC, they are 4 and 2 yrs old.

Yes, I just mean in general. I know lots of kids who can play on PCs, but who prefer consoles, because those are what all their friends use. My young nephew plays UT on my computer all the time, but he still thinks a gameboy is better. Poor deluded boy!

–Mortis

(lennyballa) #39

shacknews:

“Just in case you had doubts that Raven’s new Wolfenstein game was coming to PC since the primary development platform is the Xbox 360; don’t worry as Activision has announced that a PC version is coming as well.”

Thats some bloody good news tbh :smiley:

(Joe999) #40

13 months. not allowed to use the pc for ET, for him it’s teletubbies only, though i really wanna know who taught him how to hold the mouse. i don’t know what kids see in a pc. look at him, he can barely reach the table, but still pushes me away so that he can have my toy for himself … all i’m allowed is to watch him use it. so i took the chance and made a photo :smiley: