Leaf with too many portals

(Mark.C) #1

Ok i have searched the forums this time and found nothing helpfull.

I try and vis compile my map and get the error. leaf with too many portals.

I did a brush cleanup, dunno if this helps or not ? I have no idea what this means, i looked at all the tools in plugins, but to no avail…please help.

(sock) #2

I try and vis compile my map and get the error. leaf with too many portals.

I did a brush cleanup, dunno if this helps or not ? I have no idea what this means, i looked at all the tools in plugins, but to no avail…please help

The last time I saw an error like this was with Quake1/2. I assume you are using structural/detail brushes for the building of your map? Like basic hull/outside walls of map are structural and almost everything else is detail brushes. Except sections that need to block vis made from caulk.

Sock
:moo:

(Mark.C) #3

yes…exactly that sock, am i doing it right ?

(sock) #4

At what point did the error start happening? Can you go back a version and see what you have added to create such an error? Did you do some wacky vertex editing or something?

Sock

(Mark.C) #5

i do remember making a triangle type shape…manipulated it too far and it disappeared. Do you think this could be it ?

I also found a door outside my map (LOL)…very far away, and deleted it, recompiled but didnt worK.

i did try vertex editinmg my canvasses also, but left it as i dont know how to do it.

(sock) #6

do remember making a triangle type shape…manipulated it too far and it disappeared. Do you think this could be it ?

That does not sound too good. Can you back a version? Are you using snapshot or version control for your maps?

One thing you can do quickly is make a big brush around the whole of your map and then select everything inside of it. Edit/Select/Tall brush. Copy that to a new map and save it as a new file and then compile. The copy process will only copy brushes it can select and can be seen. Make sure you have no filters active otherwise you will not copy everything.

Sock

(Mark.C) #7

ok, i copyied everything, and still got the same error when i compiled. I dont know what you mean by snapshot or version control…sorry

I cant go back either, as i was stupid and didn’t make a backup.

Would it be possible to send you the .map so you could take a look at it ?

My only other alternative i suppose would be to start over :frowning:

(sock) #8

ok, i copyied everything, and still got the same error when i compiled. I dont know what you mean by snapshot or version control…sorry

Oh wow you seriously need to start saving different versions of your map. Its like anything nowadays word docs/programs/games saves etc Its like trying to complete a game with only one life! :wink:

Check out your preferences under the edit menu. Get familiar with the options and find a option called snapshot. Enabled it and it will automatically start creating snapshots of your map as your work on it. Remember it can consume alot of disk space so keep an eye on the directory. Also eveytime you open the editor, start a new version number.

like mymap_001.map, mymap_002.map, mymap_003.map etc

PM and I will give you an email address for the map file.

Sock

(Mark.C) #9

map is zipped, just waiting for ya e-mail :slight_smile:

(Mark.C) #10

Sock, i fixed it …i looked at the little portal errors i was getting, and where on the grid they were and it turned out to be the caulked/unfinished spiral staircase…the one floating in mid-air. i had not moved any of the steps, it was still a circle. I deleted this and also the other floating part of the building next to it.

I meta compiled, and had no errors, then i did a vis compile and it actually did it this time without quiting with the leaf has too many portals error :smiley:

I thankyou for all your help though, very much appreciated…unless radiant is tricking me…and the error is really still their, but hiding LOL.

(=DaRk=CrAzY-NuTTeR) #11

no problem :wink: