(CleaverDancer) #21

Hmmm it sounds like they may be no more :frowning: ā€¦

(Paul) #22

:frowning: that sucks for them :frowning:

(varsovie) #23

Dlug! let we split Your topic for two threats:

1. Save Wolfenstein
  2. Make it popular

Everybody here confirms that Wolfenstein changed multiplayer world. Roles ( medic, field ops, covert ops, engineer ) make great gameplay even W:ET has 6 years old engine ( tuned Q3 @ 2003/5/29 ). During this period i tried many FPSā€¦ like CS (i donā€™t like it) and always back to W:ET because most FPS is just frag / campfest - nothing more.
I little believed that newest Wolfenstein 2009 will be something like son of W:ET -> W:ET2 but I was wrong - itā€™s next boring FPS frag shooter only with good product cover title :frowning:

Today most players have Dual/Quad core CPU + good GPU and is little strange to run this old W:ET on it, so slowly people are leaving W:ET. I think the key is to keep some developing progress:

• HDR
  • texture pack (to not make each custom downloadable map +30MB).
  • more advanced particles for explosion smoke / fog
  • better integration with Teamspeak , Ventrillo .
  • NPC will be cool too - to have real vehicles like in EastFront mod.
    These things shouldnā€™t spent too much HQ time but let W:ET modders continue developing to offer players better product. The target is still to keep game for free - to get money maybe some AD can appears in client about new games etcā€¦ so in long time range itā€™s cheaper to publish AD in W:ET client than spend $$$ in Google AD sense for Brink :smiley:

At this moment W:ET has x350 active servers with players
VS
CS 1.6 x7500 servers.

To make W:ET popular we should start thinking about W:ET2 , objectives:

• basic compatible with W:ET1 lobby to able connect to old existing servers, in reverse way (You protocol too old :wink:
  • We donā€™t need any SP (i think itā€™s most expensive game dev stage), only MP and let community build world. ā€¦ / Offtopic - Half-Life 2 SP is cool , but HL2DM is @#$% , in SP You play once maybe a few times , in good MP players can play months or years like W:ET /
  • We have to keep roles , to not make next boring frag FPS
  • We donā€™t need steam

But it will be never as popular as CS because CS is easy game. Let me share my own private opinion about target game market:
I worked in Game support sector about 2-3 years and most CS players were childrens, too young to carry W:ET gameplay - why they should revive teammates and not to be only rambo medic to have highest ranking when round endsā€¦
I donā€™t want to have this kind of players in game.

I really believe that we are able to collect enough manpower to reheal W:ET project searching manpower in volunteers like mod teams - ex. TC:E. Iā€™m not product manager so can only dream how to inspire people to transform vision into reality.