greed and gaming.

(Stroggafier) #21

Exactly right, @SockDog

One’s voice is much more important when it comes to changing behaviour than one’s money, and it can counter opposition that has a whole heck of a lot of money. Of course, putting your money where your mouth is, helps.

Another message in my post is that “just don’t buy it” is a vested simplification that primarily benefits the ones with most money and its associated power - whether the power is shaping energy policy or shaping game design. “Just don’t buy it” eliminates scrutiny and relegates the individual to the role of consumer. Voice, or a well placed criticism or suggestion, is powerful and influencial, well beyond the value of the purchase price of a game.

(Tanzverbot) #22

[QUOTE=SockDog;216428]I think this was directed more at the people who constantly tell you to stop whining and just don’t buy it. Like that will resolve the problem.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t even understand what the problem is supposed to be. I know that there are games out there that i won’t like for various reasons. Now for this fact to represent any kind of problem, i would have to buy those games in the first place. I don’t do that. Why would i? I don’t get it.
Obviously, on the other hand there are a lot of people who like games that i don’t like, who don’t mind spending money for unfinished products or “new games” that aren’t much more than graphical updates of the previous games or other such things. I still fail to see how this could possibly be a problem for anyone. Nobody is forcing them to do that. Nobody needs to buy a game.

(Tanzverbot) #23

[QUOTE=Stroggafier;216439]Exactly right, @SockDog

One’s voice is much more important when it comes to changing behaviour than one’s money, and it can counter opposition that has a whole heck of a lot of money. Of course, putting your money where your mouth is, helps.

Another message in my post is that “just don’t buy it” is a vested simplification that primarily benefits the ones with most money and its associated power - whether the power is shaping energy policy or shaping game design. “Just don’t buy it” eliminates scrutiny and relegates the individual to the role of consumer. Voice, or a well placed criticism or suggestion, is powerful and influencial, well beyond the value of the purchase price of a game.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry, but i have no idea what you are even talking about here, especially in the context of something like video games. Companies make games. If people like games, people will buy games. Company will continue to make games. If people don’t like games, people won’t buy games. Company needs money to make games. If people don’t buy games, company doesn’t get money. If company doesn’t get money, company cannot make games.

(SockDog) #24

[quote=Tanzverbot;216442]I don’t even understand what the problem is supposed to be. I know that there are games out there that i won’t like for various reasons. Now for this fact to represent any kind of problem, i would have to buy those games in the first place. I don’t do that. Why would i? I don’t get it.
Obviously, on the other hand there are a lot of people who like games that i don’t like, who don’t mind spending money for unfinished products or “new games” that aren’t much more than graphical updates of the previous games or other such things. I still fail to see how this could possibly be a problem for anyone. Nobody is forcing them to do that. Nobody needs to buy a game.[/quote]

The mere fact you don’t buy won’t necessarily bring about change and therefore something you would then want to buy. Voting with your wallet only gets you so far.

Take something like Ubisoft’s uber DRM. People may not buy the game because of it but do you think the message Ubisoft gets is clear? You think a company that puts out that kind of DRM will actually admit it’s screwing it’s own sales? Now, if people are vocal about the DRM, if websites pick up on it and comment, if there is a noticeable backlash then it’s harder for these corporations to ignore it exists. Yes, of course they can still dismiss it, their business after all, but they at least have to acknowledge it.

So by extension being vocal about a company’s policies or actions is likely to have a greater impact than merely boycotting the company. The mantra “don’t like it don’t buy it” doesn’t work when the seller isn’t asking why you didn’t buy it, or actually doesn’t even notice.

(Stroggafier) #25

@Tanzverbot, of course what you say is true. But, it is only one aspect of how games are made and sold. Companies also make patches, updates, and sequels. And before a game is published, companies seek to improve game design, test and market. Where in that cycle is your purchase? Did the game get to market without suggestions and criticisms? Didn’t those suggestions and criticisms influence what you are finally purchasing, and to a much greater extent than had they waited until time of sale to express themselves? Do you really think the best place in this cycle to express your likes/dislikes is at the time of purchase? Isn’t that too late?

One’s voice is mightier than one’s pocket. Do not accept voting with one’s pocket as the preferred way to express opinion. That would be giving away too much.