First impression on Sprint:

(warbie) #21

I’m all for sprinting in combat. It adds another level depth to proceedings and makes the gun dance that much more interesting and involved. In some ways I wish I’d never played RTCW/ET - playing games where you simply move around slowly, aim the crosshair and fire seem so basic now. Like bowling with the inflatable bumpers up. It’s all about the movement.

(Evil-Doer) #22

[QUOTE=amazinglarry;412443]I don’t understand the disadvantage argument here, if I’m understanding it correctly.

We’ll say everybody begins with a full sprint bar. Now, depending on how each individual chooses to use it will determine what they are going to gain an advantage in. If someone chooses to save it entirely for a firefight, they may just flat out get to the conflict area too late. If someone is only going to use it for travel and getting somewhere faster (like getting to a plant location) then they maybe be at a disadvantage to defend themselves.

It’s a balancing act regardless, right? It’s also based on play styles. Either sacrifice general mobility or sacrifice potential firefight survivability.

This all being said, I don’t necessarily have a problem with the way sprint is implemented right now - but I think there are other potential directions that are worth discussing.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I’m all for however it gets worked out, but the thought that a sprint bar is unbalanced in anyway…I’m sorry I just don’t see that being relevant in anyway. If the guns don’t do 1 shot kills like in other franchises like Tom Clancy…Someone having a full or half full sprint bar in a fight really doesn’t give either an advantage. I mean the player with the full bar could easily be shot down by the player with a half full bar regardless if you think the fight is one sided or not.

In fact in some cases both players will run out of sprint. There is so much more than just the thought that one player will dominate another simply because of it I’m not in agreeance with.

(tokamak) #23

Too put it in extremes, imagine an ability that gave you temporary god-mode and one hit kills, all limited by a rechargeable bar. Then every battle would be trade in the energy left in your bar. I kill you, your friend kills me, he gets killed by my friend and your friend kills him while I kill your friend because I respawned.

That’s the problem with having a private stack of advantage stuff in your pocket. Back in W:ET it didn’t really bother me because I was a teenager that was proud of every kill he got regardless of how he got them but right now it’s a mechanic that cheapens the game.

(DarkangelUK) #24

But that’s just what you do, you over inflate the situation completely out of proportion to try and swing a change of view. How about we don’t put it to extremes and treat it exactly as it is, a situational mechanic that is completely at the mercy of the user and available to everyone.

(tokamak) #25

I exaggerate to show how it is a problem, I already said it’s extreme. It’s a much milder form this way but it’s still a problem. Sacrificing your shooting power however, is a deep commitment that you can make at any time. That means it’s a much more interesting choice that deciding whether or not the next kill is worth your sprint allowance.

(Evil-Doer) #26

lol agreed man. Honestly there is to much of the slow these days, let’s go back to the fun shootem up skill based shooters we use to have. It made it exciting, engaging. these days you can sit around an just one an two shot players. Think about the excitement that involved when people don’t die in 1 or 2 shots unless per say the head shot you earned that kill with your glorious aim. but if you can sprint an fight an everyone is getting around a tad faster it adds more excitement an engaging battles.

(warbie) #27

Surely using a resource in the correct way is a skill that adds depth? Sprinting in ET was essential in movement and in combat - and both were very hard to do well. I don’t see how making the most of what you have at a given time cheapens anything.

(tokamak) #28

Well maybe I’m applying W:ET’s sprint to DB’s damage model and what I see there is disastrous.

(Evil-Doer) #29

The more I’m playing, the more important I’m realizing that movement speed, jumping everything needs tweaked. There is something completely missing here an personally I can’t put my finger on it. Guess that’s what we are all for. It’s not pulling me in an immersing me, That’s extremely important I think.

(DarkangelUK) #30

Warbie hit the nail on the head, and once again you want to punish those that learn to utilize the ability to its full potential. If anything I’d say it’s the damage/ROF that needs tweaked to fit with a good movement system rather than toning the movement down to fit DB’s current damage model.

(INF3RN0) #31

^The truth. I am advocating we start with refining the movement to something we all find acceptable. After that the weapon play can be adjusted accordingly. I really gotta repeat myself in telling the SD crew that they have a misconception about how a game has to be dumbed down to be a f2p success. If you search the forums of most f2p games they are filled with people demanding more recognizable skill curves, less pay2win systems, etc. Having a game that requires a lot of learning and practice is what will set it apart from the rest of them because just about every other f2p FPS out there is exactly the same as the next, but ET was one of a kind in the f2p department and really could use a successor, at least in the game mechanics that made it so good. Not calling for a complete clone, but just the basic elements.

(tokamak) #32

I liked the point. It’s fair to say that if you have this ‘advantage boost’ under a rechargeable bar that this also applies to key situations.

In W:ET however, these vital moments where you could use that charge were heavily outweighed by simply getting to push the button to make one more kill more easily.

So if we want to include Warbie’s point into this then a system where you couldn’t shoot while sprinting, but still have a charge bar that temporarily allowed you to do so and that would recharge VERY slowly or have a VERY long cooldown something like that would work.

But that’s not what you want to see for some reason that’s still beyond me because it flies in the face of everything you stood for so far. You seem to want a steady supply of this sprint advantage stuff and completely negate the difference between travel movement and combat movement which is something I’ve yet to see adressed by any sprintnshoot proponent.

(DarkangelUK) #33

No one wants to see that because it was never asked for in the first place. I still don’t get it, where is this advantage coming from? An advantage is something you have that gives you the upper hand over others that don’t have it. Everyone has it, no one has an advantage over anyone else… there difference, once again, is in the hands of the players and how they manage their sprint bar.

(INF3RN0) #34

The fact that you currently are delayed from shooting while in sprint is immensely annoying. Since I can’t shoot while sprinting I find myself constantly slowing to a walk when I am about to turn a corner simply because I won’t be able to react fast enough if there’s someone there. It promotes camping and doesn’t offer much of a way to counter it either. A re-charging sprint bar would be so nice.

(Thundermuffin) #35

I haven’t been a big fan of a rechargeable bar (was pretty vocal in another thread about that); however after reading this thread I would actually like to give it a try and see what kind of impact it has on the game if it’s allowed during firefights. Every time I played DB I find myself sprinting near battles less and less, and if having a rechargeable bar vs unlimited sprint allows for major improvements in movement, then I would accept that I can’t have my cake and eat it. I’d just love to be able to sprint and jump around without being punished.

By the way, don’t say camping inferno…that doesn’t sit well with some! :wink: :slight_smile:

(Laurens) #36

We actually used to have this, but everybody hated it, so it was removed. It made the traveling time from spawn to action so much more annoying.

(Smooth) #37

We’ve drastically reduced this delay time so it should feel better in the next update you guys get.

(DarkangelUK) #38

When man, WHEN! (looking forward to the lack of or reduced slowdown when shot as well)

(Smooth) #39

When it’s done™

:stuck_out_tongue:

(tokamak) #40

Exactly as it should be. What’s more annoying is the acceleration you want to pick up afterwards.