ET competition maps guidelines

(Mean Mr. Mustard) #121

It seems like to get more feedback on your map idea from competition players, you have to go where they are. Makes sense really. Ifurita has taken our map idea to a bunch of forums - player forums not mapping forums. We have received great feedback - more than a few players seem willing to take a look around a ‘first walk thru map’ and point out ‘problems’ with map layout. We have modified the layout accordingly.

If I get my butt in gear, we’d have the next walk through soon (darn caves and tunnels…)

So, I suggest posting ideas at jolt and et-center (Iffy also did the Austin Tx server forum). People will reply. I imagine there are not many comp players who frequent the ‘Level Designers forum’ - I know there are some, but not many. Go to where they are and they will provide good feedback.

(Ifurita) #122

That is what we have been doing in those 2 threads - we hashed out some ideas based on the sketch, then released a basic map with terrain, key buildings, and winnable objectives. We’re tweaking that map, based on the second round of edits and plan to release that for review and comments in the next day or so.

(Ifurita) #123

to follow up, I think you really need to run around a map in order to give really relevent feedback. A map distance of 3000 units from obj pickup to drop point might look reasonable, but it really depends on slope, roughness of terrain, congestion, availability of multiple and covered routes, etc. So the real questions, is how do you get to a map where you can run around and win with the least amount of effort. Hence, we chose to do two iterations of “sand table discussion” then a live walk though with a playable, winnable map. The next map version has more detail and should be a much better approximation of what the final product will look like

(Das.Lang) #124

Greetings folks - in the Lang Clan we’ve been reading this string with interest. A small dev team within our group (kudos to Java, Shuster, Penumbra and Cannon Fodder) has produced Pitch Black (link attached) which has been on our US servers Needlefeast and Needlefeast East for some 3 months now. It appears to fit all the criteria listed at the head of this thread. Its a great map, developed by great folks - enjoy - all feedback gratefully received at www.langstas.com !

http://langstas.com/maps/lp1_1.pk3

A’ the best!

Das.Lang :slight_smile:

(Svarvsven) #125

Das.Lang: I’ve been testing Pitch Black, however I can’t agree that it appears to fit all criteria listed in this thread. The map is huge, not small (I still get lost when running around in it, after studing it for > 1hour). Its got millions of objectives and how would you say its Attacking-team-biased?

With that said, I would agree that the looks of the map is great. Some parts of the map would really work, with small modifications, to become an “ET competition map” (ie for 6vs6 clan wars).

Climbing up the water wheel was LOL though (then further jumping around on some roofs)…I tried to find u on IRC, however seens not all clans here hang around @ QuakeNet… :frowning:

(]UBC[ McNite) #126

can anybody plz delete this post?

(]UBC[ McNite) #127

Well I can’t contribute to the guidelines of a competition map, but after reading all the posts I think the map I m doing these days matches almost all criteria AND adds some spice cuz it has a long doc run (see sparks post on that) and a pretty good risk factor (raibs and Kendle wrote about that). It especailly matches the criteria for being a fast, offensive stopwatch map (see Sphere’s posts) (i never liked campaign )
(I am obliged to add that its a remake of mp_theriver originally mapped for RtCW by Tanya Cheex (which was the best custom map for RtCW imo), just to prevent ppl wondering about the familiar gamelayout and objectives; i made slight changes to adapt the map to ET)

The map is playable but needs tuning for FPS right now, test version for one-person-lookaround-test is available.
If possible and ppl think the map got the potential I m willing to tweak it into a competitive map (in case it won’t loose its character), but I need FEEDBACK from PROGAMERS and CLANS for that… so if anybody reads this and is interested in feedbacking/testing etc. plz pm me for the download-link.

Check on a lots of pics and descriptions of the maplayout and gameplay here: www.ubcclan.com

(au.Hiroshima>) #128

hi, I am not a mapper, but a clan & pub player since rtcw. I’ve been lurking here for a while and finally thought I should add my 2c from a player’s perspective.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Frostbite, this is one of the best customs maps in either rtcw or ET. The conversion to ET is amazingly good imo and is about the only map in which teams can run a full time covert op, on defence no less!
It is not just the replacement of the allied flag with a command post that makes this so, it is because the covert has a less travelled back way to attack (unlike radar or fueldump etpro, where a covert has very little chance of sneaking up to the allied command post).
I have even been a covert in disguise and hidden behind allied spawn huts, then returned the objective by running up to the carrier in amongst the confusion while he waited for his team. The allies didn’t know I had a uniform because I took it from one of my teammates gibbed kills. And this was not a noob team, it was one of the top ranked teams at the time in the australian GA ladder.

Frostbite manages to pull all required elements into one excellent map. I have played matches on it with 4 - 6 players in rtcw and 6 - 8 in ET and despite its size it works exceptionally well. It follws all the guidelines that have been discussed in this thread - initial battle to capture forward spawn, multiple routes to the objective, alternate spawn for both teams, variety of game environments and it favours offence, with sub-10 min times regularly set. If you haven’t seen it I strongly suggest you take a look at it, I am happy to provide demos from matches if anyone who doesn’t play in competition would like to see how it plays.

(DG) #129

just a quick followup in the form of a copy&paste out of a column by Lake, Clanbase ET head admin who’s generally been much more open and receptive (or makign an effort towards them anyway) to customs than most previous ones:

Also, from my own experience as an admin, I can tell that customs will be accepted faster if:

1. They consist of 2 stages
2. They are fps-friendly, but still goodlooking
3. They aren't a remake of or based upon an existing map (sw_goldrush might be an exception here, although I doubt it)

not really anything that hasnt been said here before, but reinforces the idea.

(Guess_Who) #130

Hey Guess_Who here i have been reading though here and i am a clan leader and i am also going to start trying to amke a few maps but i the dh clan could test out maps and if any other mappers want to talk to me about waht a gd map should have u can email me at guesswho.dhclan@hotmail.co.uk

([Cerberus]) #131

[quote=]UBC[ McNite]Well I can’t contribute to the guidelines of a competition map, but after reading all the posts I think the map I m doing these days matches almost all criteria AND adds some spice cuz it has a long doc run (see sparks post on that) and a pretty good risk factor (raibs and Kendle wrote about that). It especailly matches the criteria for being a fast, offensive stopwatch map (see Sphere’s posts) (i never liked campaign )
(I am obliged to add that its a remake of mp_theriver originally mapped for RtCW by Tanya Cheex (which was the best custom map for RtCW imo), just to prevent ppl wondering about the familiar gamelayout and objectives; i made slight changes to adapt the map to ET)

The map is playable but needs tuning for FPS right now, test version for one-person-lookaround-test is available.
If possible and ppl think the map got the potential I m willing to tweak it into a competitive map (in case it won’t loose its character), but I need FEEDBACK from PROGAMERS and CLANS for that… so if anybody reads this and is interested in feedbacking/testing etc. plz pm me for the download-link.

Check on a lots of pics and descriptions of the maplayout and gameplay here: www.ubcclan.com[/quote]

All I have to say man GREAT fricking post, Anyone can read this last page and get all the info they need. Thank you.

(zstarsales04) #132

Hello, everybody, I am new here. Here is something might be helpful for you.www.zstar.hk www.edgei-ds.cn (many movies to download)www.tigersupermall.com

(fastek) #133

HI, Looking like a interesting thread going on. Its good that people are actually willing to share their views on this topic.For cheap Zhu Zhu pets please see theZhu Zhu pets video hamsters site where you can buy Zhu Zhu hamsters at low prices.

(SKTLZ) #134

I would rather play 4v4 or 5v5 it’s less hectic on comm and more chimestry

(Mateos) #135

Nice bump, totally on topic.