Does FOV affect aim?

(Litego) #21

90 horizontal is pretty awful to be honest. But it depends how the game calculates FoV as well. For example, 106 FoV in UT3 (probably the same in DB considering it’s the same engine) is the same as 90 in CSGO and 76 in BF4, assuming you play in a 16:9 aspect ratio that is.

UT3 just looks at the horizontal FoV of your monitor, pretty straight forward.
BF4 just looks at the vertical FoV of your monitor, also straight forward.
CSGO is kind of retarded and looks at the FoV in a 4:3 aspect ratio. So with 90 FoV in 4:3 on a 16:9 monitor it will extend the FoV to 106 even though you set it to 90. Because 16:9 is wider than 4:3.[/quote]

I thought it was changed to use vertical FOV, which would make it identical to BF4. This would certainly match up with my experiences (and incidentally I use a FOV of 90 right now, it does not seem awful to me at all).

Also I didn’t know that you can change your FOV in CS:GO. Or are you talking about the FOV that only affects the weapon model?[/quote]

The only way to change it in CSGO is to increase your horizontal resolution or use sv_cheats, but it’s always set to 90 even though it’s not actually 90.

(CCP115) #22

Am I the only one that never gets headaches from high FoV, only low FoV which makes me feel a bit claustrophobic? I’ve got it maxed at 120, I didn’t even think, I just saw a FoV slider and swung it all the way to the right, and no problems so far.

(Black) #23

90 horizontal is pretty awful to be honest. But it depends how the game calculates FoV as well. For example, 106 FoV in UT3 (probably the same in DB considering it’s the same engine) is the same as 90 in CSGO and 76 in BF4, assuming you play in a 16:9 aspect ratio that is.

UT3 just looks at the horizontal FoV of your monitor, pretty straight forward.
BF4 just looks at the vertical FoV of your monitor, also straight forward.
CSGO is kind of retarded and looks at the FoV in a 4:3 aspect ratio. So with 90 FoV in 4:3 on a 16:9 monitor it will extend the FoV to 106 even though you set it to 90. Because 16:9 is wider than 4:3.[/quote]

Again, I don’t understand how you people do it, but whenever I play any game I always turn the FOV all the way up high. I just looks ugly as default or anything lower.

In dirty bomb my aim becomes bad if I lower my fov from 100 and I can shoot enemies at range and close ranged just fine. My crosshair is a red dot with the size set to small.

In UT3 and Quake my FOV is always turned up

(capriciousParsely) #24

I think people become too small with high fov. I actually play on the default 65 :stuck_out_tongue: Just feels good for me.

(stealthyCaper) #25

Double post

(stealthyCaper) #26

Horizontal FoV is what most games express this setting in, but DB uses vertical FoV, where 65 corresponds with 90 horizontal FoV.

This is a respectable setting for PC games, unlike most console ports that do a 65 horizontal FoV (44 vertical FoV). That’s perfectly fine for games sitting on a couch 4m away from a 1.2m screen, but nauseating 50 cm from a 24" screen. I’m looking at you, Metro 2033.

A vertical FoV of 120 in DB corresponds to a horizontal FoV of 140, which is a bit of an extreme in the other direction. So if you’re used to a FoV setting between 95-120 in most other games, make sure you convert that horizontal FoV to the vertical FoV that DB needs with a FoV calculator .