DIRTY BOMB UPDATE: Version 14704

(zenstar) #21

[QUOTE=Apples;415025]- Not sure if it comes from my crappy connection, the fact I use DX11 or my gfx card being a bit lower than the proposed minimum recquirement, but I tend to warp much in the game, its a big lag when I sprint mostly, and one millisec later I’m thru another room or I’m stuck in a wall
[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure about you but when I put on dx11 my framerate drops quite a bit so if you’re having oddness try switching off dx11 and see if it improves. I haven’t had any lag or rubber banding that I’ve noticed but I normally play on very low ping.

• I played some game when the teams werent stacked and it went actually pretty good, the pace of the game is nice, the jump could still use a bit more momentum to gain in freedom of movement and the kills are still a tad too fast to me (indeed these are personal opinions)

I agree with the jumping. It seems to be just short of where I expect it all the time. I keep running towards the green dumpsters thinking I’ll hop on top of that and then from there jump up onto the car / over the wall next to it and I keep coming up short on the dumpster and remembering I can’t jump that high.
And the dumpsters look SO inviting to jump onto.

(iwound) #22

when i try dx11 i can only see top left quarter of screen, cant reach options.

(Scrupus) #23

I’m also wondering about this - does it happens to everyone or only a few? It was the same problem in the previous versions as well btw. I think it crash for me around 3 out of 4 map loads or so. Is it known or do you need crash logs on this?

Performance is ok for me with this latest patch, perhaps a tad lower fps on the rain map but no real problems, it still plays smoothly.

Win7 64bit, Intel i7 2.8Ghz, GTX 560

(j4b) #24

[QUOTE=kamikazee;414542]Where is that thread mentioning a game crash after each map change with an “The application exited abnormally with code (3)” error?[/QUOTE] got this the whole time. no difference to the last versions. Fps droped again with this patch.
Turrets are now nearly useless with the new spotrestrictions and nerfs. Thanks Rex :stuck_out_tongue:
sounds are much better.
AND it seems London got leaky roofs :smiley:

q9550 @ 3ghz
4 gig ddr
gtx 560
win7

(Crispy) #25

[QUOTE=Apples;415025]Quick thoughts on the patch :

• Sounds are much much better, the reduced volume on footsteps bring a big thing to immersion[/QUOTE]This was a bug. Footsteps are making no audio in the live patch (except your own). Will be fixed in the next one.

(Apples) #26

Oh? Was pretty sure I could heard them running? Might be the beer tho

(Senethro) #27

Had some footstep thoughts that were way outside the kind of suggestion a tester should be offering but here they are anyway.

Could friendly footsteps be made steady in volume and rhythmically even? A constant trip-tramp-trip-tramp.
To contrast, enemy sprinting footsteps would be loud, harsh and staccato, enabling players to easily gauge their location and direction of travel.
Enemy running footsteps (or careful hurried movement rather) would be very uneven and slightly sinister. Subtler and uneven footsteps with occasional bootsqueaks and loud clamps on every 6th or 7th footstep that give away that hostiles are in the area but you are unlikely to be able to work out their exact numbers or direction.

(Crispy) #28

First off, never be afraid to give feedback! It’s completely within the scope of the Alpha! You and your peers have been chosen ahead of others for your knowledge, reliability and enthusiasm for the objective- & class-based multiplayer first-person shooters Splash Damage is known for. You understand our games well, so we want to hear your feedback. :slight_smile:

This is more of a suggestion for the audio designers, so it’s possibly they may completely disagree with me and ultimately it’s they who decide how the audio works. Regardless, here are my thoughts:

I definitely think there’s merit in making the footsteps sound different from one team to another. However, I don’t think changing the rhythm is the best way to go about this. The rhythm of someone’s footsteps indicates their speed, and this is critical information for helping to pinpoint the movements of noisier opponents. If the game is incorrectly telling me someone is 2m away from me when they are 5m away from me, jumping around the corner with a shotgun is not going to be as effective as was implied.

I also disagree with not being able to work out how many footsteps there are. IF people are running around (as opposed to walking), you should be able to hear them, and you should be able to back away from an unfavourable encounter if you can pick out more than one set of footsteps. I’m personally a fan of games with good implementations of footstep audio. For me it’s like an extra string to your bow when you can outmanoeuvre an opponent to give yourself the upper hand, simply by paying attention to audio (especially if you no longer have the motor skills and practise regime of that godly 15 year-old of yesteryear :)).

(Senethro) #29

Thanks for taking the time to read all thi. I’ll try to stay concise and keep the rubbish to a minimum. Some people out there liked my previous post so I’m going to clarify and offer some background.

When using the words even and uneven, sometimes I meant volume and sometime I meant variation in frequency. The friendly footsteps were supposed to be even in volume and regular in their high/low/high/low alternations in frequency. Steady and easily identifiable, non-threatening. Enemy footsteps could have more range and no pattern of frequencies or volume. Squeaks and scrapes, little giveaways of someone trying to move both quickly but quietly enough. (I’m not even sure it would be possible to do any kind of synching of sound with animation if the rhythmn was uneven.) I think it would add tension knowing enemies are present but this tension would be lost if you could tell which window they were about to pass at midrange.

The issue is that with larger maps or smaller teamsizes and a high weapon lethality, cornering and ambushing becomes a little too easy. Hear footsteps, cook grenade doorway or hold crosshair at headheight. In 2004 this was cute, in 2012 everyone has a headset and does it without thinking. I think aggressive and flanking gameplay would be supported by adding a little mystery to footstep cues at midrange while still keeping that feeling of tension I would get hearing metallic stamping as GDF. That said, I still think those players so inclined should be able to precisely localize enemies running within about 8 metres.