DB is not dead but on lifesupport and we vets are responsible

(ASD) #21

Hi,

yes the game has issues - alot of them … many smal and some major.
since available I run a comunity server … 8:8 with FF ON no level limits… so level 0 can join with level 50000 … this is alot of potential for being toxic.
yes some are toxic for being teamkilled … but mostly its alot of fun (untill the server gets crappy and LAG like hell untill it gets restarted)
I also saw players who obviously play they first time at all and this in DB on my server… they have no idea at all, how shooters work, how the DB works, how every think works, but they try! they try it the hard way… no tutorial - no other offline game… just connect to some nearly full server and die 50times in 10min!
this is also some sort of toxicity …

whats realy missing is: advertising
If I talk to someone and say Dirty Bomb… they dont know it…

(phobiatic) #22

Let me start of with saying that I love the base concept, maps and mercs of the game.

Sadly how bad the netcode - servers and the matchmaking is, i can not advice this game to any of my friends. Not to forget, even if they would join there would be no option to play together like a party/squad system.

Lately I struggle very hard to get into any decent games. I often get put into Moscow server while i’m from west Europe, what result in 100+ ping and unplayable conditions. So yeah the matchmaking still need a lot of work even after how many attempts they have done.

The merc balancing havn’t even been touched the last few months… why they decided to do this is unknown for me, since the whole point of a shooter is to have a overall well balanced game and let the player skill be the factor of winning / loosing a match. Altho the community has voiced themself multiple times that some mercs need changes and some weapons need stats tweaked, they end up being ignored.

They had over 4 years of beta to fix most of the well known bugs(tank hit box, deaths around corner, wrong animations etc) in the game but they decided to put their attention on other things. Well now we see the result of that and they only have themselves to blame. The community can only do so much if the developers don’t listen to the community.

(K1X455) #23

You should aim to get a latency (ping) of approximately 55~65ms. The closer you are to 60, the better. It’s because how the game was coded for client-server-client replication. At 100ms, you’ll get server delays up to 40ms which isn’t that bad but if you have to make tactical decisions, it could be detrimental. I play on almost all continents except EU East (Moscow) where the latency goes as high as 355 on a good day. The maximum latency I’ve played effectively is 345ms in Amsterdam, Stockholm and in Frankfurt. For other games such as CS:GO or Quake Champions, lower latency is better; although QC has other net-code issues.

It’s possible that SD cannot tinker with the net-code because it’s a delicate thing to mess with and without sufficient expertise, it could seriously break the game. And without proper play testers who can document their work, it proves difficult to fix. Server process profiling is one of the things that can choke up the data flow and if the server code isn’t properly threaded, a single core doing all the work will get choked.

Here’s an example where a “de-synch” happened in match. This isn’t my footage, but I get this kind of problems 40% of the time.

(RectalTerror) #24

Only those attracted by it as a sport because they are fan of existing players, but I can’t imagine anyone getting into CS as a “fun game”.

(RectalTerror) #25

My point is that a game (or a sport) shouldn’t be modelled to please veterans. & both boxing & soccer have definitely evolved. Both have evolved to please viewers, because the money comes from viewers, for all popular sports.
CS money doesn’t come from veterans, it comes from new players, or perhaps viewers too (I genuinely don’t know). If money comes from selling CS, it’s a big mistake to try to please veterans, because CS will simply stop selling. If money comes from events (I’m sure there’s huge money involved, but what does Valve earn from that?), then it may survived untouched, but it would be a good reason to change it, as veterans shouldn’t have a word to say about it, just like boxers or soccer players don’t have a word to say about what federations decide. When federations decide to update rules and it’s not for safety, then it’s to please viewers (changing the rules to make the sport more interesting to watch) or just to keep up with modernity (like referee being assisted by replays). Whatever they decide, veteran players just shut up & obey to the new rules, if they still wanna compete in those federations.

As for DB, there is obviously zero “viewing power”. DB needs new players. However, because DB is a “free” game, I do agree that it also has to please veterans, because money comes from buying in-game crap, which both new players & veterans do. But it’s a special case.

(&Wrestling? Wrestling is anything but popular, probably because it looks gay.
Unless you mean WWE-style “wrestling”, which is a coregraphied show, not a game or competitive sport)

(K1X455) #26

Ever wondered why wrestling is in the Olympics?

If your point is not to please veterans, then I’m all for it; it’s fine. But in absolute terms, the only even playing field is a LAN event where every participant is the same network using approximately the same hardware and the only difference is the skill that a player brings on board. But if the developers keep shaping the field in a manner that will favour FNGs (like Javelin cheesing with rocket kills, or Phantom, or imparting RNG on weapon performance that can be learned by anyone), then there is definitely something wrong with the playing field. Those who have the experience in the game should be given their due and those who doesn’t should be given their fair share of experience so they can be given their due.

If anything at all, I like the way the cosmetic system of the game works. I’ll continue supporting it. But seriously, the game mechanics are challenged. The more I play, the more bugs I find and it gets utterly frustrating to get motivated.

(K1X455) #27

Agreed. But for some reason, there’s always that evil in someone’s head that makes it sound broke.

@RectalTerror, I get your point, but it’s about finding the right balance between staying true to your base while also generating interest from a newer audience. There are examples everywhere. NASCAR, computer tech’ companies, gaming giants like Capcom, Ubisoft, and Blizzard, automotive manufacturers, the old S&W and Ruger gun scandals, etc. Hell, even the NFL and MLB have been hit hard. My point being, yes you need to keep a steady influx of new consumers/viewers/supporters/whatever, but pissing off the majority of your base (your veterans) can be suicide. There’s no getting yourself out of those holes.

Also, I wrestled in high school lol. Hard to think about any gay thoughts when you realize if you lose a match your coach will whoop your ass much worse than your opponent did.

(ostmustis) #29

the only ones to blame are the devs.

(kopyright) #30

“The only ones to blame for the behaviour of Neymar Jr. is FIFA.”

(ostmustis) #31

sounds about right :orange_octo:

(RectalTerror) #32

hum the Olympics is full of weird sports that no one otherwise cares for… (like, biathlon)

So many kids wanna play soccer because it’s on TV everywhere, at school, they have their idols, etc. Many kids wanna “wrestle”, but again, they wanna “wrestle” like in Wrestlemania, show them what wrestling really is, and what you get is, well, South Park made an episode about it.

(RectalTerror) #33

Yeah but as for DB, we don’t seem to be THAT many…
I open DB at night and I’m happy I can find 2 filled servers. Which means what, 30 people per continent?

Meanwhile, you can open Fortnite (since it’s where people are) at the same time of the night, and immediately start a game of 100 players. And YET, this huge crowd have just moved from PUBG to Fortnite, they didn’t even wait for the game to be actually released, to leave it for a competitor. That says how fragile a playerbase can be, anyway.
Which is really why I keep saying that a company shouldn’t care about its supposedly loyal fanbase, because no one is loyal to a game or company. We don’t want what we love to change, but we won’t think twice when it will be time to move to a better game.
So in the case of DB having so few players, it’s even more important to them to please new players.

(Szakalot) #34

New players just need to be isolated from veterans - if they want to.

This is primarily a team-arena shooter focused on high raw skill ceiling. Spawnkilling is part of the game, by showing player how its done you teach the game. There is respect in showing how the game and its mercs are really played.

Of course, too often stomps get boring. Major stops will almost always be cause of too wide skillceiling or a massice d/c: both of which could be solved with better server n vote options. Not in keeping newbies in artificial safe space. Unless they want to, on max lvl servers

(Ptiloui) #35

Yeah, they should create a game mode where players could play with and against people with the same skill, with some sort of ranking…

… Oh wait.

(henki000) #36

It’s pointless to speculate who is responsible, when it’s summary of many issues. Dirty Bomb isn’t just exquisite enough to allure masses. It’s like a smoothie of Paladins, Team Fortress and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. You need to stand out and give something new. Even if DB is only few years old, it’s already showing signs of “original” and “classic” traits. So hear me out Devs, you need to make fundamental overhaul. It’s not enough if new players and vets does not encounter on battlefield. Problem is somewhere deep, core mechanics. You need to take some influence from L4D, Doom and Dead Island. Forget Paladins and Overwatch, thats pop music for masses, too much competition there. Just like music, there are genres in FPS’s. Ask yourself, do you want to make music for profits and reputation? Do you want to make music with your friends and for the joy of music? SD is like a large orchestra, where fiddler wants classical and percussionist wants jazz. Conductor tries to keep everyone on same page, but music does not get played from your heart. Solution: pick one of your genres or keep doing progressive rock. Great music for experts, too alternating for mass hysteria.

(K1X455) #37

You must a special type of cookie aren’t you? We celebrate the sport, you complain about it’s unappealing nature.

You’re probably the type that thinks that thinks something is broken when it’s perfectly working… Like what @Wintergreen described as the opposite of the crowd both of us is in. Well, to each his own. I play this game because I get the kicks out team work and cohesion. It’s as rare as opening a Cobalt loadout, but hell, if it does happen, it feels awesome.

(SirOrionDrake) #38

From my experience, whenever I try to help new players, they don’t seem to care. I text it on the chat, sometimes even speak it out loud on the mic… but they simply won’t listen or just plain ignore me…
It is tough to try and help a new player, when said player won’t pay attention to your tips.
And yeah, Spawn camping is a bad joke. I get it being done in a competitive scenario, where one wants to win at any cost… but not on the general servers where the “pubs” are.

(kittz0r) #39

Too bad DB as a whole was/is considered Competitive and so is/was Spawnkilling even on Pubs, thats why Maps like Chapel or Trainyard are designed the Way they are.

(K1X455) #40
  • Snowflakes be melted and flushed down until they harden the eff up
  • The idea of mixing the seasoned players with new ones makes a bad mix (hope SD learns from this)
  • Noobs need a method of exploring the abilities of the mercs they are using so they can be more team effective
  • Noobs need a method of learning team cohesion and composition outside the playing field (the current tutorial gives an idea about this but it doesn’t give first hand experience for a new player).

DB is not dead but on lifesupport and we vets are keeping it alive. To make things easier for us, we need to progress the noobs so they won’t be noobs anymore. As for noobs, they better start learning and stop rage quitting when they’re on the losing side.