Daily missions are too easy

(BioSnark) #21

Is it unfair to say that you want missions to be play for X hours and get a credit boost?

(DB Genome editor) #22

Yes and no. I certainly don’t want these to become passive either where people would log onto servers to idle for credits like it used to be done in TF2 for drops. But if missions and their credit handouts can help convince a large chunk of the player population to log in and actively play for 1-2h every day, then what’s wrong with that?

That being said, I don’t have a problem with the game having challenges and achievements (including or not the current badges) that provide credit awards, as long as they don’t feel mandatory (i.e. you’re stuck with it and have to keep banging your head on that wall until you pull it off). Pulling an awesome 5-kills airstrike and getting a credits bonus for it is a positive feeling, but you won’t feel like a looser if you only get 4 kills like you would if you’d just missed that one-time opportunity to finally complete that damn mission you’ve been stuck with for the last 2 weeks…

It’s all about positive reinforcement vs grind.

(BioSnark) #23

My suggestions are based on the assumption that daily missions are changed each day and that 2/3 remain the current “play X hours” style. As I said, I don’t know if they currently change each day because they aren’t interesting enough to remember.

I agree with szakalot that these should be used to make people try new things. I currently only play proxy. Shotguns went to **** in a recent patch so I switched to SMG but that’s about it for changes. Perhaps, if there was an actual incentive, I might give one of the slower chars another try.

(DB Genome editor) #24

If the mission were indeed on a daily rotation then it wouldn’t be that bad. However, currently they are “daily” only in the sense that you can only get one set per day. If you complete one you won’t get a replacement until the next day, but if you do not complete it, it stays with you until you do. So the way things are right now, if you were to get a mission you are unable to complete, it could stay with you indefinitely. Now imagine you have three of these, so effectively you can’t complete them and you can’t get rid of them for new ones…

(Zenity) #25

I can’t be the only one who would prefer spending most of my time playing the game however I like? :slight_smile:

I actually already get irritated sometimes when I am playing a certain style or mode only because the mission wants me to. The rewards for missions are so big, that ignoring them doesn’t really feel like an option to me. And I am not even saving for mercs.

(Nail) #26

missions need a buy out

(BioSnark) #27

Then you should be asking for these to be removed and credit rate be upped. If they alter nothing in-game, they have no reason to exist.

(Zenity) #28

I find it fun to complete the missions, I just don’t want them to take any longer than they already do (less would be fine).

I see daily missions as the “baseline” motivation to play a few games each day. But if I feel like playing more/properly, then I don’t want most of my time being focused on the missions.

(riptide) #29

[QUOTE=Zenity;524587]I can’t be the only one who would prefer spending most of my time playing the game however I like? :slight_smile:

I actually already get irritated sometimes when I am playing a certain style or mode only because the mission wants me to. The rewards for missions are so big, that ignoring them doesn’t really feel like an option to me. And I am not even saving for mercs.[/QUOTE]

No you’re not. I think they are unnecessary but because they are there I feel obligated to complete them. Either way I lose. I can ignore them and know I lose out on credits or I can do them and possibly be forced to play something I didn’t want to.

Making them consume more of my game time is not fun whatsoever and If I had enjoyment from daily quests I’d go play an MMO not a “Competitive FPS”( I can’t even type that without laughing.)

(Rémy Cabresin) #30

MAP based missions could be a quick and easy addition. Besides the “play X amount of Stopwatch” missions have “Win 1 SW on Chapel”, doesn’t make anyone play a certain way(other than trying to win :D) You can add a mission for each map, this might also make people vote more active in the Lobby screen and have the maps balance out a bit (lately ive been feeling like Underground and Chapel are played waaaaay more than Terminal and Bridge f.e).

(neg0ne) #31

i just realised that some of the suggestions here are more like badges - not like missions.
still good, so maybe add them. but as badges not missions.

(tokamak) #32

The purpose of daily missions is to get people to play daily. It shouldn’t be challenges, it should just be an incentive to keep on playing and offer a buffer for casual players to catch up with hardcore players.

They don’t have to be all equally easy though. They can all vary in the amount of work it takes to complete them (one HotS mission involves winning 8 games, that’s easily half a day’s worth gaming). But as SD already recognises, they can’t be too specific or players start annoying their team.

Best way to go about it is to make missions very vague. “Kill players with explosive weapons” “Kill players from behind” “Complete an objective” “Complete five side objectives” “Make x amount of kills” “Do x amount of damage” etc. That leaves the missions to be completed at the player’s own discretion.

HotS also allows missions to stack. If you don’t complete a mission it will remain there. You get to stack up to three daily missions before the oldest ones start being replaced by the newest. This means that on certain days where you can’t play you can still clear your backlog of missions the next day. Sometimes the missions even overlap (so for DB it would be making kills with explosions for example) and clear several missions at once.

[QUOTE=neg0ne;524662]i just realised that some of the suggestions here are more like badges - not like missions.
still good, so maybe add them. but as badges not missions.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Achievements like that are the opposite purpose of missions. They can be absurdly specific and difficult to complete.

Then there’s also records. I’d love to see a weekly hall of fame where players with the most remarkable statistics are featured (for that week).

(POKEMANS) #33

Djiesse speaks the truth with #20. Please ignore the suggestions from Glottis and BioSnark since those missions would suck hard to get.

(Glottis-3D) #34

My main suggestions are:
daily missions should encourage for team-play actions.
otherwise they have NO point at all.
-play with someone in your squad
-play 3 objective matches
-earn some amount of XP

these all have no point, they do not contribute anything.

while:
-Destroy EV
-Revive ppl
-Gief Ammo

Do contribute to the teamplay.

If 100% of ppl will finish current daily missions - nothing will change in the pub game.
but if even 10% of players will try to finish team-based-daiy missions. we will get more ppl playing this game the right way.

(PixelTwitch) #35

[QUOTE=Anti;524384]Happy to add more Missions but we’ve tried to avoid ones that will make people play in a way that might disrupt the team’s chances of winning. For example a ‘Get 50 Headshots with Sniper Rifles’ Mission is going to result in too many Snipers frag hunting rather than trying to aid their team.

Any suggestions for new Missions that would be productive for a team would be welcomed though :)[/QUOTE]

Could you not use missions to influence players to continue doing what they are good at? have 1 general mission (xp gain, wins, plays) 1 Influenced mission a mission that is based around that players strengths and 1 secondary mission that would be a mission desinged to entice a player to try and do something different from their norm. ie, guy that always plays medic in public getting repair the Complete 3 objectives as engineer or do 1000 damage to the EV as a FO player.

Technically, this way would allow you to balance role recommendations based on active missions and players likelyhood of completing a mission. Overtime you could nudge many players into becoming more effective players.

(POKEMANS) #36

This wouldn’t work if the player doesn’t have a merc of that archetype unlocked.

(PixelTwitch) #37

This is exactly why it would work…
Having missions based on indivisible players…

The system knows what Mercs they have unlocked and what they are most likely to play.