Cramped Feeling = Player Size?

(tokamak) #21

[QUOTE=Locki;412968]Someone once told me that CoD is designed that way - to spawn people in a sort of wheel, so that even newbies surviving for seconds, get to shoot someone in the back :slight_smile:

(we don’t want that by the way)[/QUOTE]

It’s something I really love about the game. I see it as something less cynical, the way the spawn points slowly revolve around the map mean that the shoot outs constantly and subtly shift and that the battle is constantly evolving. It gives narrative to a map and this way maps never gets stale.

In a way that’s what objective games try to achieve as well, a constantly changing environment to fight in. COD just put it on the auto-pilot which is a very cost-efficient way to keep a map fresh. For an objective game you need to work a lot harder to get the same effect, but when you do it’s all the more rewarding because it’s a narrative that’s made by players rather than imposed from above.

So yeah if you’re planning on having TDM as a serious mode in the game then the revolving spawn points really are something to consider. Though I still feel team survival rounds fit this game better.

(DarkangelUK) #22

Doesn’t make it any less frustrating that you died because of the spawn system and not due to your own failure.

(iwound) #23

thats fast.
kind of like a horror movie when someone goes into the creepy house. hear a sound , looking all around “what was that… ur… arh…Oo arrrrrgh”
and the killer always gets them. only here there’s 8 killers lol.

you want to keep your back to the wall and keep the enemy infront of you. there should be a risk of someone getting behind your lines but they best well earned it. like the long walk of mine dodging on goldrush.
a couple of routes defenders could use to come in your rear. and defenders could react with defense mines that i may add were clearly seen, so much so that patterns were made. iirc if your mines were cleared you knew and could react or not.

it became a delicate art of suckering in your enemy to an area to weaken another. in which game feedback was a big part knowing what was going on in the battlefield.

to a point were you knew what team-mates were up to, and join in without speaking.

its been a while since i played and a group collected together just waiting for the right time to charge and over-whelm your enemy.

for that to happen there has to be a collection point or a buffer before objectives where you can at least feel semi safe.

(tokamak) #24

It only means that you’re never safe which works perfectly in tandem with the fast regeneration in the game. Good players know that eventually players will start appearing behind them, the best players simply know the rate at which the respawns revolve and anticipate how the battle will move.

(DarkangelUK) #25

I don’t like random and chaotic, doesn’t that go against your cognitive ability preference?

(warbie) #26

I’m happy for CoD to keep circular spawning all to itself! I’ve never played a more random chanced based game.

(Virus047) #27

[QUOTE=Locki;412968]Someone once told me that CoD is designed that way - to spawn people in a sort of wheel, so that even newbies surviving for seconds, get to shoot someone in the back :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

No wonder I’m always dizzy when I play CoD games.

I wonder if when we adjust the FOV if the player models for guns/tools changing size would help with the feeling cramped. I played a bit of ET a while ago and played with the FOV. When you changed FOV from say 90 to 120 the model changes when its displayed or drawn as well as the FOV on screen. Obviously most comp players play with the guns hidden but I’ve been having to much fun just running around DB that I’ve yet to attempt to tweak anything. So if there is a way or isn’t I haven’t found it yet. Again I guess my point is maybe the models are not the problem its the angle/view they appear on the screen that’s having the issue. Or maybe its because I’m starving and just rambling here. LOL!

(Breo) #28

(we don’t want that by the way)[/QUOTE]

COD is made for the mass, the publishers pick the casual players as target audiance because they are simply the biggest group.
That’s why they put so much “free kill stuff*” (OHK/OP weapons/perks, claymore, turrets) in it. Even first time players are able to get a decent amount of frags and play at max. performance.

//youtu.be/Pblj3JHF-Jo

COD is all about fragging… skills* doesn’t matter, for everyone there is a weapon. It’s still the best selling FPS atm.

(tokamak) #29

Its far from random and chaotic. Without it people would spawn randomly and everyone would need to roam around until they find a target, which is essentially the old-fashioned way. It means that there’s value in picking your location and regularly adjust it so you have the highest amount of damage output versus the lowest amount of exposure.

(ailmanki) #30

@Tokamak a short search on google for cod random spawn reveals a lot of hits.

//youtu.be/GKbiDDNQJPk

I never played those games, and I am glad .D

(warbie) #31

^ that’s intentional. CoD is all about lowering the skill ceiling, and currently it’s so low you have to get on your hands and knees to play!

(EnderWiggin.DA.) #32

I was working under the assumption that the current spawn times were just an “eh, good enough” and probably not final. Is this a bad assumption?

Today I noticed that in general people (including myself) just run off at random with the current spawn times. Attackers spawn in ones and twos and often run off to be slaughtered by the defense. One of the things that I think works well for objective attack and defend games is people spawning in groups with longer spawn times. Then the group more likely does better assaulting in a wave than trickling in. I was trying to stick with Sockdog today and while we didn’t quite make it work to great effect, I thought it was better than random rushes.
I can understand the frustration by ADD players that just want to get into the action as quickly as possible. I can also understand the challenge of developers having to cater to that feeling, I just think the game type works better with longer spawn times. At least with the ability to first person spectate teammates while dead, there is something to do while waiting for spawn.

(tokamak) #33

Oh I wasn’t commenting on the spawn times in this game. I need to put more hours/days into it before I can say anything on this.

Map density, spawn times and movement speed all go hand in hand though. I’d say that you know you got a nice balance if the fighting slowly shifts through a map. And right now that doesn’t happen at all. The defenders rush through quite a distance of deserted steets only to meet the defenders at the objective and fight there. That’s bad. Very bad.

Instead you want to be fighting over every inch. In this regard I think the main culprit is the movement speed. Maybe sprinting speed is too fast, travelling through the maps is too easy and defenders have not enough capacity to pin teams down.