Care to explain how to remove 30fps cap?

([>>]Over) #21

Only in SP though, in MP FPS is luckily unlocked

(angemon) #22

Thats not the case. The same engine runs the multiplayer fine 60+fps with “smoother” animations. What I don’t understand is why is it not working this way on singleplayer. I don’t know if it was intentional or just mistake, it should be fixed on next patch.

(LorettaLouLatency) #23

You are correct sir! The multiplayer runs at unlocked framerates. Smooth as butter. I am hoping that it was just overlooked when porting it over and not that they expected us to be happy with a 30 fps slug.

(light_sh4v0r) #24

The fact that your framerate can go beyond 30fps doesn’t mean the animations get any smoother. Animations for ETQW have always been at 30fps. You may be walking around in high fps, but other players/moving objects will be 30 fps. If they didn’t change it for Brink that is.

(Undread) #25

The server/client side FPS thing is a little tricky to explain. I’m not sure how many people used to play CS where people would advertise 1000 FPS servers as being “better”. Here is the reason, in theory.

On server side the FPS value basically is a definition of how often the server is recalculating everything. In Brink’s case, it seems like it is locked at 30 FPS, so calculations are done once every 33.3 ms. Those 1000 FPS CS servers were technically calculating ever 1 ms (there are reasons why this isn’t necessarily better but I won’t get into that).

When you connect to the server, you get whatever FPS your computer is able to calculate that, and it is displayed back to you. The calculations server side still happen at 30 FPS.

When you play single-player, YOU are the server. Thus you are calculating at 30FPS, and it is also seems to be locking your display back to you at 30 FPS, regardless of you getting 100 FPS or 600 FPS.

Where I get hazy is, do the calculations and the display need to be the same, or is that an engine issue. The simple solution of course, would be to unlock the server FPS on listen servers.

(Gamer_Kought) #26

Bump… Seriously, what reason is there to NOT unlock the fps cap?

(angemon) #27

[QUOTE=Undread;299487]The server/client side FPS thing is a little tricky to explain. I’m not sure how many people used to play CS where people would advertise 1000 FPS servers as being “better”. Here is the reason, in theory.

On server side the FPS value basically is a definition of how often the server is recalculating everything. In Brink’s case, it seems like it is locked at 30 FPS, so calculations are done once every 33.3 ms. Those 1000 FPS CS servers were technically calculating ever 1 ms (there are reasons why this isn’t necessarily better but I won’t get into that).

When you connect to the server, you get whatever FPS your computer is able to calculate that, and it is displayed back to you. The calculations server side still happen at 30 FPS.

When you play single-player, YOU are the server. Thus you are calculating at 30FPS, and it is also seems to be locking your display back to you at 30 FPS, regardless of you getting 100 FPS or 600 FPS.

Where I get hazy is, do the calculations and the display need to be the same, or is that an engine issue. The simple solution of course, would be to unlock the server FPS on listen servers.[/QUOTE]

Very nice and detailed explanation, I never had the idea that this was causing the problem. Hopefully SD devs sees this and fix it on next patch…

(Takanasi) #28

I was able to play coop with my friend for a bit, but then my dedicated server kicked him out and shortly after i got disconnected as well… What’s up?