Care to explain how to remove 30fps cap?

(Striker92) #9

com_unlockfps 1 //this is the master cvar. If you do not set this to ‘1’ then it will never attempt to exceed 30fps. This works regardless of the timing method selected.
com_unlock_timingmethod //this selects one of three timing methods for unlocked frames. Can take values of 0, 1, or 2
com_unlock_maxFPS 60 //sets the upper limit of your FPS to smooth out frame rate fluxuations

they were the ones used for etqw. Dunno if they will work with brink, but maybe have a look through config files for similar things

(Striker92) #10

some one also suggested disabling shadows for higher fps
seta r_shadows “0”

(Undread) #11

The three fps unlock related cvars only affect multiplayer, not singleplayer.

Check http://www.tweakguides.com/ETQW_10.html. Pay specific attention to the last paragraph in the Framerate Unlocking section.

Importantly: All of the above only applies when you are on a multiplayer server, not in offline mode where FPS is capped at 30FPS no matter what you do with the any of the above settings. So to experiment properly I recommend you join an online multiplayer server.

The shadows cvar is just a general framerate boost (by turning off shadows entirely), but will not help with the 30fps cap in single-player/private listen server matches.

(gl0ry) #12

The only thing I can’t believe is that my friend told me he didn’t have any issues in single player…

How his eyes cannot detect between 30 fps and 100 fps is beyond me… unless there really are only some people having this issue.

(Undread) #13

I know lots of people who will 30 as being off. Ever since I’ve been playing shooters (12-13 years now) I could definitely notice anytime the FPS drops below the refresh rate of the monitor. Nowadays pretty much everything is running at 60hz (LCDs), so anything below 60fps is noticeable to me.

30 is extremely noticeable to me. I think the other issue is, a lot of people are seeing their fps meter say 100-120, but anyone who has played FPS games can tell that there is no way its actually displaying anything near that in single-player.

I really doubt that this is a user to user issue, I believe it is an issue within the actual engine, since ET:QW also was capped at 30 FPS in offline play. I’m hoping that somehow the devs can fix this and allow us to uncap our fps in single-player modes. My workaround of making my own private dedicated server is not really suitable for the general user-base, and kind of pain anyway.

Hopefully someone can give us an update today.

(Melanchthon) #14

I really hope this gets addressed too, my fraps counter was showing around 100, but it definately feels around 30 as far as smoothness goes.:confused:

(Melanchthon) #15

Bump because I found this helpful

(Undread) #16

Got to play around with using a dedicated server to play Solo/Private Co-op Campaign quite a bit more. My FPS while doing this feels exactly as it displays: 70-100.

In case some people wanted to try this, you can install the Dedicated Server from the Steam Tools section. Then go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\brink dedicated server\base

make a new file name it something.cfg. Then put this in it and save it:

si_rules sdGameRulesCampaign
applyServerConfig Standard
campaign set campaign_resistance
si_playMode 1
si_onlineMode 2
si_needpass 1
g_password somepassword
si_maxRank 4
si_botDifficulty 2
net_serverAllowHijacking 0
spawnServer mp/aquarium

This config will spawn a campaign starting from the beginning. From the folder above double-click brink_ded1.bat. Once the console launches, just type exec something.cfg (whatever you called the file you made in the step above). This particular config is set up to be co-op with a password and only allow friends and invites to see it.

You can connect to it by changing your server browser to LAN. Or just connect directly using your local IP. I’ve been using this to play “single-player” without the locked 30 FPS issue.

(Undread) #17

Bump to see if other people are noticing this performance issue in single-player.

(LorettaLouLatency) #18

actual command to uncap FPS is “seta unlockfps 1” Fraps will show higher FPS than 30 as does the ingame fps counter. Whether or not you are using vsync after putting in this command, whether you get 60 fps or 200 like me, the game feels like it is still running at 30 fps. I saw only a slight improvement after enabling this command. I think the above posters are correcting in stating that the engine is capping fps no matter what. I have a great set of peepers and 30fps looks like dogmeat. I cant believe they would think that this would be acceptable in the PC world. For those peeps who will comment that the human eye only sees 25-35 fps, stop there. On prerendered video this might be the case but, in game where the video is rendered on the fly…ITS CALLED UNACCEPTABLE. SD please fix. Would hate to see such a fun game ruined by performance.

(Mattc0m) #19

The engine engine runs at 30fps. You can unlock your FPS all you want (mine runs at a steady 120fps on most maps), but it doesn’t mean there’s “smoother” animations or anything of the sort.

(Je T´aime) #20

engine runs at 30 fps : ? Thats real bad newbs for me

([>>]Over) #21

Only in SP though, in MP FPS is luckily unlocked

(angemon) #22

Thats not the case. The same engine runs the multiplayer fine 60+fps with “smoother” animations. What I don’t understand is why is it not working this way on singleplayer. I don’t know if it was intentional or just mistake, it should be fixed on next patch.

(LorettaLouLatency) #23

You are correct sir! The multiplayer runs at unlocked framerates. Smooth as butter. I am hoping that it was just overlooked when porting it over and not that they expected us to be happy with a 30 fps slug.

(light_sh4v0r) #24

The fact that your framerate can go beyond 30fps doesn’t mean the animations get any smoother. Animations for ETQW have always been at 30fps. You may be walking around in high fps, but other players/moving objects will be 30 fps. If they didn’t change it for Brink that is.

(Undread) #25

The server/client side FPS thing is a little tricky to explain. I’m not sure how many people used to play CS where people would advertise 1000 FPS servers as being “better”. Here is the reason, in theory.

On server side the FPS value basically is a definition of how often the server is recalculating everything. In Brink’s case, it seems like it is locked at 30 FPS, so calculations are done once every 33.3 ms. Those 1000 FPS CS servers were technically calculating ever 1 ms (there are reasons why this isn’t necessarily better but I won’t get into that).

When you connect to the server, you get whatever FPS your computer is able to calculate that, and it is displayed back to you. The calculations server side still happen at 30 FPS.

When you play single-player, YOU are the server. Thus you are calculating at 30FPS, and it is also seems to be locking your display back to you at 30 FPS, regardless of you getting 100 FPS or 600 FPS.

Where I get hazy is, do the calculations and the display need to be the same, or is that an engine issue. The simple solution of course, would be to unlock the server FPS on listen servers.

(Gamer_Kought) #26

Bump… Seriously, what reason is there to NOT unlock the fps cap?

(angemon) #27

[QUOTE=Undread;299487]The server/client side FPS thing is a little tricky to explain. I’m not sure how many people used to play CS where people would advertise 1000 FPS servers as being “better”. Here is the reason, in theory.

On server side the FPS value basically is a definition of how often the server is recalculating everything. In Brink’s case, it seems like it is locked at 30 FPS, so calculations are done once every 33.3 ms. Those 1000 FPS CS servers were technically calculating ever 1 ms (there are reasons why this isn’t necessarily better but I won’t get into that).

When you connect to the server, you get whatever FPS your computer is able to calculate that, and it is displayed back to you. The calculations server side still happen at 30 FPS.

When you play single-player, YOU are the server. Thus you are calculating at 30FPS, and it is also seems to be locking your display back to you at 30 FPS, regardless of you getting 100 FPS or 600 FPS.

Where I get hazy is, do the calculations and the display need to be the same, or is that an engine issue. The simple solution of course, would be to unlock the server FPS on listen servers.[/QUOTE]

Very nice and detailed explanation, I never had the idea that this was causing the problem. Hopefully SD devs sees this and fix it on next patch…

(Takanasi) #28

I was able to play coop with my friend for a bit, but then my dedicated server kicked him out and shortly after i got disconnected as well… What’s up?