Battlefield 4

(MrFunkyFunk) #21

It’s only from a few games but not much changed from BF3.
It will be “decent” I guess, if the performances are optimized.

Still, might get it …

(stealth6) #22

I’ve been playing it a bit during the weekend and here’s my take on it so far.

First thing I noticed is that the assault is missing his revive paddles and since you’re defaulted back to assault every round that’s pretty annoying. This isn’t helped by the fact it takes 2-3 rounds to unlock them.

Everything needs to be unlocked and it seems to take quite a long time to do so. This might be good for the longevity of the game once the it’s released, but during the beta I just want to unlock everything asap and try it out :smiley:

They’ve taken XP to a whole new level:

• 10 xp per second? while standing near the flag
  • 25 xp per player that you spot and is killed
  • 10 xp per xxx amount of damage dealt to a vehicle
  • 50 xp for suppression assist
    This game pretty much gives you xp for everything, even shooting your gun and not hitting anything, it’s crazy.

There is always somebody above you, even when you’re on the tallest building in the map they still find a way to parachute on top of you.

I’m not to sure about the gun mechanics / hit detection yet. While playing recon I was really impressed that I could hit targets consecutively, even when they were moving so that was cool. On the other hand at a certain point I was driving an LAV and shooting a medic that was moving erractially for a good second or 2 and even though my crosshair displayed constant hits this guy just didn’t die so I don’t know what was up with that. But I really haven’t played enough to give a good conclusion on this yet.

helicopters are so fun to fly now, they are more responsive than BF3 and I love what they’ve done with disabling and repairing. After a certain amount of damage the helicopter catches fire and becomes less response, you then hear some fire extinguishers going off (I guess?) and you regain control - awesome. The helicopter also regains hp slowly if you don’t take damage - awesome. This might sound OP, but since pretty much every engineer can lock onto the helicopter now I think it’ll work.

RPG’s can lock onto targets if they are laser designated. I haven’t figured out how all of this works, but this seems really interesting. I’m looking forward to playing in a team that realizes all these capabilities to see what their effect really is.

The recons laser designation tool seems incredibly handy + the ability to zero in with your sniper… This has so much potential.

Bugs:

• On the end screen the scoreboard covers up the tabs for awards etc… seems sloppy to me.
  • Sometimes I get huge FPS drops when jumping to a lower part of a building - this has gotten me killed so many times aargh! (even though I running everything on low now - wtf!)
  • Took me an hour to get past the loading screen the first time (restarting and trying every fix the interent offered), but since then I haven’t had any troubles.
  • Lots of getting stuck on debris, but this was also prevalent in BF3 so I’m used to jumping the whole time.

Overal I’ve had a blast so far, despite the bugs I’ve encountered.

(Ruben0s) #23

I really dislike the map. Even with 64 players a large part of the map feels empty, because everyone is on the rooftops or at point C.

They should do something like this: When you get on a rooftop you get a message that you are out of the map and will die in 10 seconds if you don’t come down.

(stealth6) #24

[QUOTE=Ruben0s;475586]I really dislike the map. Even with 64 players a large part of the map feels empty, because everyone is on the rooftops or at point C.

They should do something like this: When you get on a rooftop you get a message that you are out of the map and will die in 10 seconds if you don’t come down.[/QUOTE]

I was actually pleasantly surprised that even though there are 64 players in a server you hardly notice it. I don’t know how commander works, but maybe that will help organize the players better so the front line is focused in 1 area with 1 squad focusing on taking out people trying to sneak past.

I do agree that it gets kind of annoying that there is always somebody on a higher building and this will probably be the reason I’m not going to play the beta non stop. Hopefully the other maps can provide some variety.

(Englander) #25

It’s a Beta and must be judged in that context, so I can put the map and the rough and shakey feel to one side ( although I know some who can’t even play it ). Having played about 5 hours I have had bits of fun on it, some of the kills can feel pretty satisfying but as of yet I am not seeing a need to order it. Like Oliver Twist, I was expecting more but I will be keeping an eye on its progress.

(Kl3ppy) #26

The latest update is a big improvement. Now it’s running almost smooth.