Ai getting stuck on stairs

(ronboy) #21

I have version 1.4.0 of Radiant. I have the slick texture. But when I put it in on some stairs, the ai get stuck on the slick texture, just like the stairs. I put a slick texture on top of each step. Is that the correct method of applying a slick texture on some stairs? (I don’t think it is)

(kat) #22

You basically copy the stair brushwork and cover everything in slick - you should end up with a duplicated set of stairs, one textured normally, the other in slick, both in the same position.

(ronboy) #23

Ah, that’s what I was doing wrong. I was putting the slick texture on top of each step. Thanks again Kat. :smiley:

(sd2009) #24

Hi,

In one of my maps, I inserted some Zombies. They used to get stuck on walls. I covered the walls with brushes texutred with a clip monster texture. After that, they never got stuck again.

Try to cover the stairs with a brush(es) and texture it(them) with the clip monster texture.

I hope it works for you too.

Good luck

sd2009

(ronboy) #25

[QUOTE=sd2009;229072]Hi,

In one of my maps, I inserted some Zombies. They used to get stuck on walls. I covered the walls with brushes texutred with a clip monster texture. After that, they never got stuck again.

Try to cover the stairs with a brush(es) and texture it(them) with the clip monster texture.

I hope it works for you too.

Good luck

sd2009[/QUOTE]

Zombies in my maps have never gotten stuck on walls. They do get stuck on stairs, but all ai get stuck on stairs, no matter what ai entity is used. The slick texture should fix this problem.

(sd2009) #26

My ais never got stuck on any stairs.

(ronboy) #27

They haven’t? Mine always start this weird animation when trying to go up some stairs or slope, which means they are stuck. A lot of people usually have this problem.

(kat) #28

I’ve never managed to figure out why it technically happens, but getting stuck on stairs and steps isn’t necessarily as a result (caused by) for the same reason as getting stuck on other brushwork, the latter tends to happen as a result of obstructions and/or angles that ‘trap’ the player/AI; the stairs issue on the other hand, isn’t directly related to ‘clipping’ which is why you have to duplicate and use the “slick” shader. And yep… I’ve also had this problem on numerous occasions (causing the “stair dance” that ronboy mentioned).