Really slow when downloading maps in ET

(noremorse) #1

This usually is always a problem when I join a game and I need to download maps. I download at a rate of about 5kb/sec(yea i know… :frowning: ) If I reinstall ET it usually goes at about 500kb/sec for a few downloads, but then it slows down again. Any help please?

EDIT Now it doesn’t even download it just says “estimating download time and crashes to desktop” and sometimes redirects me to the pk3.gameservers.net site. I can download the stuff from there but the custom packs that the server has I can’t download, only maps. So I can play in very few servers.

(Pande) #2

ya thats one thing I don’t like about Wolfenstein ET. the game play style means fast matches and a lot of variation which is great but means more downloads. also, the amount of glitches and things u can do mean 99% of the servers are sv_pure 1. this SUCKS imo, because it means you can’t use custom skins and models and stuff. This is good though because it stops people from putting solid blue and red skins on ppl to make it easier to see, then giving them a shader that makes them visible thru walls. :s

But in the long run, it means that downloads happen ingame, something I try to avoid as often as possible.

Lastly, theres like a daily build for most mods and instead of patches, they do full releases!! :x That means I’m downloading like 10 mb every time :frowning:

I JKA, maps are longer and less of them in a rotation, and if u dont have it it isn’t likely that your missing many so you just go to jk3files and download what you need and rejoin. as we know filefront is REALLY fast so its done in like 2 minutes and your back to playing. :slight_smile: also, theres only 1 version of the popular mods so you either have it or you dont. And because its sv_pure 0 most of the time, you dont even need the mod to play.

(Nail) #3

HUH !

noremorse, you can go to Splatter Ladder and search for the server you want, click on it’s name and it will show you the maps running. You can then search for the maps and it will give you download links, most likely at wolfmaps.de, download the maps you need and then join server with no downloading in game

(Etnies) #4

eh…

seta cl_allowDownload “1”
seta cl_wwwDownload “1”

Pande, having a ‘fast machine’ won’t effect your download speed your internet connection or the cap on the ftp will. Nearly every server has a redirect which means you will download most maps within a few seconds.