Portrait from A-Z

(light_sh4v0r) #41

I hope you get well soon! :frowning:

(.FROST.) #42

Almost done, yet there’s still a bit of detail missing, but I think the direction of the image is already quite clear, I just couldn’t have waited any longer to post this, since I’m pretty happy with it so far.

My next illustration; Proxy riding a literally dirty bomb. I think I’ll stuck with this layout; my first draft was a bit more graphical(in terms of style), like the warbird paintings from WW2, but I’ve decided I wanted more three-dimensionality and foreshortening. I already have a pretty clear idea of the final piece in my head, but it will certainly take a bit to get my idea on paper, then on the digital painting ground in Manga Studio 5(with my lovely new Cintiq 22HD) and from there to you guys in the forums.

And last, but not least; my Christmas gift for my daughter. Even though it may look a bit awkward(two extremely different views cobbled together in one image), it perfectly captures the personalty of either cat, which I found more important than a perfectly balanced drawing.

(Silvanoshi) #43

Wow, the lighting on that pic is absolutely fantastic! Nicely done indeed :).

Looking forward to seeing what happens with the Proxy pic too :)!

(.FROST.) #44

[QUOTE=Silvanoshi;519872]Wow, the lighting on that pic is absolutely fantastic! Nicely done indeed :).

Looking forward to seeing what happens with the Proxy pic too :)![/QUOTE]

Really good to hear your nice feedback :slight_smile: I still hate it though, that I couldn’t have posted an entirely finished illustration, since posting it a 2nd time around(slightly enhanced and finished) won’t have that impact. But I still have some ideas, to remarkably encance the image, without totally altering the present look.

As for Proxy; I have not yet decided whether I’ll just color it, or if I should try to paint it. Rather a comic book look, like the girl above, or a classical pin-up look cobbled with the visual style of the current merc cards. Regardless of how I’ll decide in the end, I’ll have to make a clean drawing first anyways and that’s what I’m doing atm.

(.FROST.) #45

Some new pics from my Proxy illustration. I basically redrew most of the initial sketch, tightened some things up and changed the bomb-type she was riding. The grey-scale drawing is just a lighting test, the final piece will be in colour and a lot sharper and detailed.

No matter how long it will take, but I have a pretty clear vision of the final image in my head; yet I still have to get used to working digitally. It’s going easier and easier pretty fast, but there’s still so much I have to learn, yet on the flip-side the virtues are gigantic(!!!) and I have so far only scratched the surface of the whole potential of the programm that I’m using*.

*Manga Studio 5EX; it’s a fantastic application for comic-book artists and illustrators alike, and it’s rather inexpensive compared to something like i.e. Photoshop.

PS: Every once in a while I’d find myself blowing against my lovely new Cintiq 22HD after I’ve erased something, or I’d wipe over the screen to clean it from eraser fuzz, lol :tongue:

(adello45) #46

My…God. great drawings :slight_smile: Love seeing the progress pics :smiley:

(.FROST.) #47

I’m trying to post more, more frequently, and I hope I can finish the Proxy image as long as anybody still cares :wink:

(adello45) #48

Cool! What’s coming up in drawings next?

(.FROST.) #49

After the Proxy image(which will certainly still take a while) I want to get back to my Amazon(above) and finish the last 5% that are still undone(just needed a break from that lady :wink: ). After that I’ve planned to look into my Brink comic again, which is such a huge project(at least the way I’ve planned it) that I just couldn’t figure out how I could ever actually finish it. But just the other day I’ve looked at the first few pages(one of them I haven’t even uploaded yet) and was kinda inspired to go on with this project again. Idk, that’s at least what’s on shedule, how everything will eventually turn out, I can’t tell.

PS: Games and even more so the internet are the greatest adversaries to my plans, but on the other hand they are my greatest sources of inspiration and reference material.

Hope I’ll get some serious work done today, since I got early home from work.

(.FROST.) #50

Still WIP, been hella lazy over the last while :frowning:

(.FROST.) #51

A (more, or less)quick sketch from a museum visit in the Munich Glyptothek last weekend. It’s very rare, that I would draw from life(this was ofc a statue), but when I do it’s always very exiting, because #1, you’d always have people glimpsing over your shoulder and #2, it’s much more of a challenge, than “simply” drawing from already “2D-ed” reference material, aka photographs.

I wasn’t really aiming for a 1:1 replication of the statue, but more for an understanding of the pose and the anatomy behind this awesome piece of art; that’s why the guy turned out to look quite (bio-)mechanical.

PS: My daughter was with me and she was also drawing something. She was really surprised and exited when I told her prior to our excursion that it wouldn’t be too unusual to draw in a museum. But then I was really surprised myself, to see how many peeps were actually drawing there; there must’ve been at least 3-4 people with a sketchboard in every room. The entry was pretty cheap(1,-€ for me, and nothing for my little one), so I guess I’ ll go there a couple more times in the future.

Really incredible how artistically advanced they already were way over 2000 years ago.

The original:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barberini_Faun

(Mustang) #52

That is exactly how I look when watching TV in the evenings.

(Runeforce) #53

Love your drawings from life and fantasy!
Don’t waste your talent by becomming a photocopier, please.

BTW. have you tried out the free software program Krita? I find it really good for digital painting.

(.FROST.) #54

It’s your home right? It doesn’t have to concern anybody how you spend your evenings, and don’t ever let them tell you otherwise! It’s your #$$ing home and your #$$ing right to let everything hang loose; you sir are a true patriot and my peronal hero.

[QUOTE=Runeforce;522959]Love your drawings from life and fantasy!
Don’t waste your talent by becomming a photocopier, please.

BTW. have you tried out the free software program Krita? I find it really good for digital painting.[/QUOTE]

I’ll definitelly don’t do anymore 1:1 straight from a photograph portraits; except if someone asks me very kindly, or actually pays me for it. But for myself I wouldn’t do those anymore. I’ve learned very much by trying to copy a photograph as acurate as possible, but it was never intended to be the end goal for me. I was always inspired by guys like John Byrne, Greg Capullo, Walter Simonson, Michael Turner, Leinil Francis Yu, Stephen Platt, Todd McFarlane and J. Scott Campbell. Non of those draw realistically and each of them has their very own style, that has inspired me. But in order to get my own style I always thought I’d have to have a strong understanding of reality, so I could finally manipulate it to my liking.

But in terms of reference material photographs remain invaluable, simply because you can’t just imagine everything. I actually considered to post all my (main)reference pics for the Proxy illustration above, when I’m done with it. They reach from a Desert Eagle, to an atomic bomb, to a MP5 over to a plucked chicken and ofc many ingame and concept-art pics from Proxy herself.

I don’t know the program Krita, but I’ll check it out later. Though I’m already very, very happy with Manga Studio 5EX. It gives me every tool I could imagine, has a great UI, is rather inexpensive and custom made for Illustrators and comic book artists alike. I can see me still using this application 10, or 20 yrs from now; I mean I’m already using plain pencils my entire life and they still work fine for me. What I mean by that; since I’ve already found a great program, I’m not actively looking/searching for another one, but rather learn this one’s ins and outs.

And thanks for your nice critique:)

(.FROST.) #55

(.FROST.) #56

(lilianb) #57

Rad portraits!

(lilianb) #58

Keep them coming :slight_smile:

(.FROST.) #59

(.FROST.) #60