Portrait from A-Z

(.FROST.) #21

Cat (comission)
29,5cm x 21cm

Part 2

(FAQIS) #22

Yore very good at painting! Keep going :slight_smile:

(Mustang) #23

They are pencil drawings, not paintings btw.

(.FROST.) #24

Pencil drawing for an illustration (47cm x 36cm)

(light_sh4v0r) #25

These are excellent Frost!

(stealth6) #26

Looks kind of like a female version of the Maurader from Path of Exile.

Male version

(.FROST.) #27

In the drawing above comes a lot stuff together that inspired me over the last months.

-Elena from USF4
-the bowie knife was initially a dagger, inspired by Maya from Killer Instinct; season 2
-the now bowie knife and jungle foliage(not yet in the image; obviously) was inspired by the Kano trailer for MKX
-the idea of maybe(!) making her a cannibal(note the blood around her mouth) comes from the Jack Ketchum stuff I’m reading atm
-the aesthetic(her phisique and my drawing style) is, like always, inspired by the late Michael Turner and a bit by J.S.Campbell
-I wanted to finally draw naked boobs, since I’m a passionate big boobs lover, but never really drew them, because I considered them to be a bit shallow as a motive and I also never really had a reason to do so. Now I’m a bit more “YOLO” on my old days and just draw what I want to draw, without too much thinking
-her asymmetric haircut and shaved sides are inspired by the sea people from Michal Turner’s Fathom comic and Cassie Cage from the upcoming MKX
-her intense pupils were inspired by the Persona 4 Arena characters and the way Greg Capullo draws them in the Batman comics

The thing that was entirely my idea was the “zebra-stripes to flames” tattoo. Details were always very important to me, so I came up with this tattoo, that mixes two things together that she finds the most important(in general); zebras and fire = food, clothing, tools, and warmth, light, safety, etc… But to be honest, the tattoo was there before I could explain why she has it in the first place; interpreting my own stuff, if you want so :wink:

Even though that sounds like a lot(!) of inspiration and consideration, I didn’t really thought about all that consciously; I just started drawing and incorporated all the cool stuff I could remember, or came up with myself.

Oh and the reason why I picked up a pencil after a long time of abstinence was, that I once again thought, that I had to effing do something with that whole drawing thing, or I’ll regret it forever. And the other thing was, that I needed something to try out this new drawing program that I’ve bought a couple weeks ago; Manga Studio 5Ex.

PS: I’ll only color and maybe digitally ink the drawing, but the base drawing is still done with good ol’ pencil and paper.

(iwound) #28

Brilliant , awesome, beautiful, cool, amazing … wait while i think of some more.
This kind of quality always amazes me. i struggle to paint by numbers. :frowning:

(.FROST.) #29

Background almost done. Thanx for your great encouragement iwound :slight_smile:

PS: I have to spread some rep around, before I can give it to you again :wink:

(Beebi_Gun) #30

Ah~ pencil works… How much I miss feeling the traditional ways in my hands.
+rep - I don’t think I need to tell why. ;3 Keep them up, Frost.

(MrFunkyFunk) #31

I missed this thread earlier but holy cow, nice work FROST!

(.FROST.) #32

[QUOTE=Beebi_Gun;513992]Ah~ pencil works… How much I miss feeling the traditional ways in my hands.
+rep - I don’t think I need to tell why. ;3 Keep them up, Frost.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sensation of working with “real materials and tools” is imo still unmatched by digital tools and materials, even though I love the results of digital work just as much, as I do the results of traditional work.

Digital coloring and painting is so much faster than doing it traditionally, but even though it has a lot of advantages, there’s still a lot(!) to learn/train for me before I’ll get the desired results. If I ever want to get real money for what I’m doing artistically I have to seriously take on this challenge and incorporate working digitally at least to 50% into my process.

Penciling is nice, but if you don’t wanna end up only drawing people and pet faces from photographs, or doodling just for yourself, working digitally is more or less the only way to go, except maybe if you are super fast with traditional tools, or if you have someone else coloring your work. I am/have definitely neither of both :frowning:

Thanks MrFunkyFunk, always appreciated :slight_smile: I’m hoping to get more stuff out in the next time; here in this thread and in the “Brink novel is there one in the making thread”, up in the Brink forums. I already have one almost finished page lying around since months, it’s definitely about time to wrap that page up and get back to business in this whole matter. But before that I want to finish our sexy wild woman above; there’s still a bit of additional penciling needed, after that I’ll ink it(traditionally, or digitally, I have not yet decided), and coloring it. I’d like to do a night version(with a full moon in the background) and a daylight version.

(Beebi_Gun) #33

You can always do like Mr. Crilley. Crilley-sensei does mostly everything traditionally, except screen-toning and shading, adding text and a few clean-ups with PS (but only for his books). Though with traditional screen-toning being a major pain in the rear, it’s obvious why doing it digitally is everyone’s favourite method. :smiley:

But that also depends on what kind of artist/illustrator you pretend to be. I find that doing mixed media works well for a lot of people I know. I tend to stick with digital lately, but I still like to go back to traditional occasionally. I feel you are more in control with traditional and just feels more natural-- I don’t know.

If you get pro with professional markers you’ll also notice that coloring can be done quite fast too, and beautifully, especially if you mix in other tools. I just can’t use markers 'cause the sound of them scraping the paper makes me cringe in pain. >_<

I’m pretty sure you’ll figure something out that works for you perfectly.

(.FROST.) #34

my daughter, ca. 2005, pencil

pre-painting pencil drawing
This is actually not the actual pre-drawing, but the actual one looked quite similar. I’ve started over again because the proportions weren’t right in many areas of the drawing; like i.e the hands, which were way to big; that may not have been as obvious in the drawing, but would’ve become clearly noticeable in the colored painting. Also the one visible leg was too thick, even though that may have gone unnoticed.

“spotting the blacks”, with black and grey gouache(water color)

establishing the middletones with a variety of greys

The final painting, colored guaches over the black and grey foundation.
It took me a lot of practice to learn how to not shmear the color with the greys and make the whole painting one brownish mess. One of the most important things in this step is to use high quality colors, that do exactly what you want “from them”.

(Beebi_Gun) #35

OMG~! She’s so cute! +.+

(light_sh4v0r) #36

Wow, I’m really impressed with that painting!
The thumbnail could easily be mistaken for an actual photo, you got the shades in the jacket spot on!

(.FROST.) #37

Final pencils. Next step, inking.

(.FROST.) #38

Inking done. Next step colors.

PS: This greyish blur/dirt around many lines comes from extremely shrinking the image, it’s not in the original drawing.

(batoutofhell) #39

Draw one from Zelda, love those games :stuck_out_tongue:

(.FROST.) #40

I have many new drawings and even a sculpture, but I don’t have access to either a scanner or a PC for over a month now (since then I’m in a hospital). And loading up fotographs of my work via my mobile(Samsung S5) kinda doesn’t really work. Maybe I’ll finally figure it out, but until then I’d have to wait till I’m released.